Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Marines 1500
Old 24 Jun 2007, 01:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Marines 1500

Ok, with the new Chaos codex coming out, I will no longer be able to play my all-infiltrating army. So, I've decided to go back to marines, at least until I decide to start a new army. So, here's what I came up with:

Traits: Trust Your Battle-brothers, Death Before Dishonour

HQ
Chapter Chaplain @225
Master of Sanctity
- Power Fist
- Artificer Armour
- Space Marine Bike
- Terminator Honours
- Adamantine Mantle

Commander @80
Master
- Storm Bolter

Elite
Dreadnought @120
- Heavy Flamer
- Extra Armour
Drop Pod @30

Veteran Squad @123
6x Space Marines
- Lascannon
- Tank Hunters

Troops
Tactical Squad @115
6x Space Marines
- Lascannon
- Plasma Gun

Tactical Squad @115
6x Space Marines
- Lascannon
- Plasma Gun

Tactical Squad @115
6x Space Marines
- Lascannon
- Plasma Gun

Tactical Squad @110
6x Space Marines
- Missile Launcher
- Plasma Gun

Tactical Squad @184
Sergeant
- Terminator Honours
- Power Fist
- Bolt Pistol
7x Space Marines
- Meltagun
- 8x True Grit & Counter Attack
Drop Pod @30

Fast Attack
Landspeeder Squadron @80
Landspeeder
- Assault Cannon

Landspeeder Squadron @80
Landspeeder
- Assault Cannon

Landspeeder Squadron @80
Landspeeder
- Assault Cannon

Total: 1492

C&C much appreciated!

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2007, 05:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Marines 1500

Looks good (albeit fairly cheesy with three las/plasma squads and three tornadoes to boot), only problem I foresee is the Chaplain. He's on a bike with no squad to attach to. That means no retinue of marines will benefit from his Litanies of Fury special rule.

You also have a lot of anti-armor. Everything in your list can kill a Land Raider with the exception of your Commander. You can substitute one of the beardier squads (pretty much half your list) into a retinue for your Chaplain, either with Jump Packs or Bikes.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2007, 17:23   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
albeit fairly cheesy with three las/plasma squads and three tornadoes to boot
Las/plas squads aren't really cheesy so much as effective, and it's only really getting out of hand when you see 6. As for the three tornadoes, I just love the darn things, flying around, blowing Shtlk up. Besides, I'm not one to change an army because it's cheesy, and I don't believe very much at all is cheesy.

Quote:
Litanies of Fury
Litanies of Hate, you mean.
As for the Chaplain, I'm utilizing a strategy, borrowed from MalVeux, known as a "Torpedo". The idea is that he's going to be able to do enough damage on his own. When you combine that with the fact that a chaplain is a bargain without Litanies and that nothing makes a great retinue for him (Assault Marines are too slow and Bikes are too expensive/weak in close combat), you can understand why he is without a retinue.

Quote:
You also have a lot of anti-armor. Everything in your list can kill a Land Raider
Yes! ;D I'm sick and tired of not having enough anti-tank. The speeders pump out enough rounds for right now (comparable to two HB-Dev squads), with the Dread as further support. I'll add more anti-infantry at higher point games.

Thanks for the comments!

Old 25 Jun 2007, 00:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, former comments aside, the list is tournament ready.
And I have the French codex so Furry, Hate, big difference.
Frogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 18:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Abel you're a bastard.

Allow me to add some context. This list is HARDCORE. Its got a little of everything and doesn't really lack when it comes to anything, anti horde, anti tank, objective grabbing and scoring units up the Ying Yang.

I think its a list that Mal would really like and I can definitely see his influence on it.

Totally tournament quality and very well suited to a competitive environment. Certainly not cheesy, you're not abusing any rules at all. Also the Torpedo chaplain is going to cause some pain. All I can say is that for a full size tourney list at 1700 or 1750 points you can make this even meaner. 200 points goes a long way.

Good job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2007, 20:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

First, I'd like to thank you for your compliments.

Quote:
Abel you're a T'auk'cka.
It's Abael

Quote:
This list is HARDCORE. Its got a little of everything and doesn't really lack when it comes to anything, anti horde, anti tank, objective grabbing and scoring units up the Ying Yang.
Yes! Which is what lists need! I used a variant of this list (2000 points, add a dread like the first one, two 6-man Dev-squad with 3 HBs, and a 5-man Tac squad with a HB) last night, and it did exceptionally well. The first game, against Chaos, my Chaplain collapsed a flank (Killed 1 squad, a Defiler, and a Dreadnought - roughly 550 points), and I reduced his army down to 3 models. It was a draw at about 400 (me) to 300.
The second game was against Marines. Chaplain did well again, and we messed each other up. However, with objectives (Loot Counters, I had 3 to his 1) it was about 1600 to 1200, resulting in a win. Both games were really close and really fun. And I'll say this: the Tornadoes were great. They attracted vast amounts of fire power, shot some stuff, and then one (i.e. the one that survived) would grab an objective.

Quote:
I think its a list that Mal would really like and I can definitely see his influence on it.
Thank you for saying this. In my opinion, Mal is one of, if not the, most knowledgeable 40k players out there. So I try and learn from him. And, obviously, the torpedo-Chaplain is one of his strategies. Or at least, one of his strategies adapted to loyalist Marines.

Quote:
Totally tournament quality and very well suited to a competitive environment. Certainly not cheesy, you're not abusing any rules at all. Also the Torpedo chaplain is going to cause some pain. All I can say is that for a full size tourney list at 1700 or 1750 points you can make this even meaner. 200 points goes a long way.
Yeah, I'm tinkering with higher point lists. I'll post some up when I finalize them. Whirly-winds and some equipment for the Master (it seems that he'd really love a power weapon) are what's catching my eye at the moment, though Vindicators would be helpful as well.

Quote:
Good job.
Thank you.

Old 29 Jun 2007, 10:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Youngy

is it just me or does this army seem a bit all over the place
-for starters there are no real CC troops apart from 1 tac squad which isn't going to hold much off
-the commander is running around wihthout a close combat weapon (that is the point of them "damn good at close combat" thats why you cant give them lascannons
-The chaplain is on a bike by himself (one good heavy weapon shot will bring him down
apart from that the anti infantry and the whole army in general will work really well defencive but do really bad at an offence, just my opinion sorry if im being a bit harsh

Youngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2007, 11:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
is it just me or does this army seem a bit all over the place
It might seem that way, but it's just designed to be balanced. After all, that's what Marines do.

Quote:
-for starters there are no real CC troops apart from 1 tac squad which isn't going to hold much off
Plus the dreadnought, plus the chaplain... But this isn't designed to be a close combat army, and I find that I can weaken most CC armies to a point where I can bring them down with sheer numbers (trust me, I can do that). Besides, with the drop pod, they are excellent at disrupting the enemy and working in tandem with the torpedo-chaplain.

Quote:
-the commander is running around wihthout a close combat weapon (that is the point of them "damn good at close combat" thats why you cant give them lascannons
They're not that great in close combat and he's just there for a cheap LD10 and a few storm bolter shots.

Quote:
-The chaplain is on a bike by himself (one good heavy weapon shot will bring him down
No it won't. He's got the Adamantine Mantle, remember? Besides, at 2+/4+ (or just 2+ inv. if he turbo boosts) and T5, he's very durable. Not to mention that at the start of the game, he can hide behind a squad to benefit from Independent Character rules.

So, to sum it up...

- They're not supposed to
- He's there for the LD
- You're wrong

As for the offensive/defensive... I have enough mobility to easily take objectives. Other than that, there is no need to be offensive beyond what I'm capable of (the Dread, torpedo-chaplain, and drop pod squad are more than capable of setting a SAFH off-balance to the point where I can outshoot them).

Old 29 Jun 2007, 14:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abael
First, I'd like to thank you for your compliments.

Quote:
Abel you're a T'auk'cka.
It's Abael

Thank you.
Bah one little typo and I turn into a villain!

Glad this list is doing well, or at least an incarnation of it. Though looking over it again, how does the dread usually fare? Does he just kinda show up, pop one target and die or does he last a little longer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2007, 19:18   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Your list inspires me.

Except the Chaplain on a Bike. I hate that tactic. I really prefer the assault squad but go ahead with the bike if you must...

And effective and cheesy and beardy are all the same thing
The Sword 88 is offline   Reply With Quote