Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Combat patrol. Setup for friends.
Old 06 Jun 2007, 02:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Combat patrol. Setup for friends.

I have two friends who are intrested in starting 40k, one for tau and one for marines. Since kill-team rules are far too complex to explain from memory I thought I'd start them out on combat patrol.

Another thread like this will be set up on the Tau board if you want to help that faction.

The models I have available are

three squads of marines
six man, meltagun, multi-melta
ten man, plasma, missile
ten man, flamer, vet sarge with power weapon

mostly just primed, so it'll be easy to switch them around

five man assault squad, sarge with plasma pistol

master with command squad

librarian

five scouts with pistol/ccw, two with bolters, one with heavy bolter.

two five man dev squads, one full of heavy bolters, one full of lascannons.

Rhino
Razorback with lascannons
whirlwind
dreadnaught

since combat patrol is 400 pts., i wrote up this list very quickly

Tactical squad
ten men, rhino-200pts

Assault squad
five man, plasma pistol-115pts

Whirlwind
stock-85pts

total-400pts

He's played strategy games before, and is more experienced than the Tau player in them. However the tau player has played 40k once before(with me). any suggestions are welcome, I'm trying not to get too complex, we'll get more complicated with later games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2007, 02:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Combat patrol. Setup for friends.

First off, you cant use the whirlwind in combat patrol(no ordnance).

Secondly, thank you for not setting him up with a bunch of heavy bolters.

The list looks balanced enough though, a good example of what to build an army out of.
Old 06 Jun 2007, 02:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder
First off, you cant use the whirlwind in combat patrol(no ordnance).

Secondly, thank you for not setting him up with a bunch of heavy bolters.

The list looks balanced enough though, a good example of what to build an army out of.
Crap, forgot. Now I have 85 pts to fill. Not too bad though, whirlwind's a nice little tank for the points.

So, whirlwind goes away.

A footslogging tac squad of 6 and subtracting the plasma pistol would work.

Five man scout squad, a plasma for the tac squad, storm bolter for the rhino?

Five man veteran squad with bolt pistol/ccw and infiltrate.(command squad models ore the veteran models)

Captain with power weapon?

Any other suggestions?

Quote:
Quote:
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Old 06 Jun 2007, 02:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

the 5 man vet squads heavy by five, but I've had good luck running scouts(of course its scout swarm blood angels but...) a five man tac squad with heavy bolter is probably the best for 85 and under( IIRC thats exactly 85) Other than the devilfish (the biggest tank tau can use) it can put some serious hurt on any other combat patrol army.
Old 06 Jun 2007, 05:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

That tac squad's 80pts.

I could let him make his own list, he likes my dreadnaught. He can't take most of the things he likes though(no 2+ saves, no 33+ armor value, and so on)

So, list1.

Tac squad
ten men, rhino(storm bolter)-210pts

Assault squad
five men, plasma pistol, krak grenades-120pts

Scouts
five men pistol/ccw, frags-70

total-400 Model count-20 men, one vehicle, ten rapid fire guns, one assault, ten pistols.

List2.

Tac squad
ten men, rhino-200pts

Tac squad
five men, heavy bolter, frags-85pts or missile launcher minus frags for the same price.

Assault squad
five men, plasma pistol-115pts

Total-400pts. Model count-20 infantry, one vehicle, 14 rapid fire guns, five pistols, one heavy.

List3

Tac squad
ten man, plasma, rhino w/storm bolter-220

Tac squad
five man, lascannon, razorback with twin-linked lascannons-180pts

total-400pts. Model count-15 infantry, two vehicles, 14, rapid fire guns, two heavy, one assault.

Which one these? And would anyone else like to help?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06 Jun 2007, 19:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I did the same thing a few months ago for my friends and housemates - using guard vs tau. I think you should design the Tau list also.

Give both lists a little bit of assault, a little bit of dakka, toss in some special rule like infiltration or deepstrike or command bubbles just to remind them that the lists are variable, and throw in a little bit of hard hitting heavy weapon to teach them the importance of the meat-shield. Give them both a vehicle to kill... (the rhino works fine, as does a devilfish - which is a lot more killy) so they can gronk the vehicle hit rules, transport rules, charge rules, rapid fire rules all in one game.

Each element has its place. Tactical marines will teach them about rapid fire and counter-moving, assault marines will (obviously) teach them about setting up assaults, big guns will teach them about armor penetration, and little dakka guns will teach them about the importance of having more dice on the table.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2007, 03:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
I did the same thing a few months ago for my friends and housemates - using guard vs tau. I think you should design the Tau list also.

Give both lists a little bit of assault, a little bit of dakka, toss in some special rule like infiltration or deepstrike or command bubbles just to remind them that the lists are variable, and throw in a little bit of hard hitting heavy weapon to teach them the importance of the meat-shield. Give them both a vehicle to kill... (the rhino works fine, as does a devilfish - which is a lot more killy) so they can gronk the vehicle hit rules, transport rules, charge rules, rapid fire rules all in one game.

Each element has its place. Tactical marines will teach them about rapid fire and counter-moving, assault marines will (obviously) teach them about setting up assaults, big guns will teach them about armor penetration, and little dakka guns will teach them about the importance of having more dice on the table.
The only special rules in combat partol are infiltrate and victory points, though I might add some others as well as objectives.

Alright, so far I like list two with a missile launcher.

Marines
Rhino-Vehicle
Missile-Heavy
Ten man tac squad-Tactics(Bolter trap teachings)
Assault squads-Assault, deep strike

Tau
Devilfish-Vehicle
Kroot-Assault, Infiltrate
Crisis suit-Deep strike, Tactics(J-S-J)
fire warriors-Tactics(fish of fury)
Drones-Deep Strike, Tactics(J-S-J)

Those are the lists so far, are they balanced?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09 Jun 2007, 16:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sorry for the double post, just thought you guys would want to know how it went.

I gave the players a choice of their lists, the tau player chose the list with all the suits and the marine player all the lascannons. He had to leave halfway through so I used the rest of his force to teach the tau player more points.

The marine player got first turn, moving everything forward except the lascannon team. He downs the devilfish with said lascannon.
The Tau player J-S-J, and killed nothing. He jumps back.
Marine player moves razorback to flank the stealthsuits and moving everything else.
Tau player panics a bit(something I don't know how to fix), and hides his stealthsuits in cover from both tank and lascannon team. Fire warriors move int weakage of devilfish. Crisis again fail to kill.
Marine player continues charging with one squad while the other stays static. He kills two stealthsuits and makes them flee.
Tau player fails to rally stealthsuit, and continues to run, kills a marine from the charging squad with fire warriors and immobilizes rhino.
Then the marine player had to leave and I went into tutorial mode.

But that's not the cool part.

They wanted to play again the next day. The marine player wouldn't be arriving until later, so we played a 1000pt game before he arrived. When he did, we started a three person multiplayer battle with three objectives. Their forces are 1850, mine significantly less.
We still hadn't finished when I had to leave, so we just took pictures and will set it up again later. Nevertheless, I still got to teach them 40k. They really enjoy it and are looking into getting their own fores.

If you'd like a battle report on the second game I can give one. Tau vs marines at 1000pts.

Quote:
Quote: