Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[Batrep]: Kublacon RTT Marines vs... (3 Reports)
Old 29 May 2007, 17:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default [Batrep]: Kublacon RTT Marines vs... (3 Reports)

RTT 40k Tournament at Kublacon:
3 heat tournament.
All missions were from the basic 5 of the BGB.
1750 points.

My list:
Librarian Codicier
Iron Halo, Jump Pack, Terminator honors, Plasma pistol

Chaplain Reclusiarch
Bike, Terminator honors

10x Tac marines
flamer
Vet Sgt: Powersword
Rhino: Dozer blade, Search light, Smoke Launchers

10x Tac marines
Missile launcher, Plasma gun

10x Tac marines

7x Scout marines
6x Sniper rifles

6x Assault marines
Vet sgt: Plasma pistol, Power fist

5x Bike squadron
2x Meltaguns
1x Attack bike, multimelta
Vet sgt: Powerfist

5x Devastator marines
2x Lascannons
2x Plasma cannons

Predator annihilator

Heavy Bolter side sponsons

First heat:
Opponent: Nidzilla
Mission: enter enemy territory (alpha)
His list (roughly)
Flyrant: Devourer, scythe talon, warp field
Tyrant: TL Venom Cannon, 2 lash whip guards
Devilfex: 2x TL Devourers
2x Deathbeetles: Barbed strangler, Crushing claws, +WS, Toxic miasma
Stranglefex: TL Barbed strangler
8 genestealers, +SV
6x rippers

This game started with deploying the terrain evenly across the table, rocks
he spread his MCs mostly across the center and center left, with his genestealers behind terrain on the far left.
I split my fast assault on the right and center, and focused the rest of my units in the center.

on my left, his genestealers advanced on my snipers and killed them, along with his deathbeetle. the Deathbeetle moved on to my tactical squads and killed them, and ultimately, both of these units survived the game, but were wounded to the point of being non-scoring units.

on the right, my chaplain + bikes assaulted the rippers and devilfex, killing them both, allowing them to sweep around and assist in the fight against the Tyrants

the center was where I made my mistakes, and came close to losing the game. I put my assault squad + librarian out there too early, and lost it to shooting. fortunately, I had enough other high-power weapons to be able to take out the other MCs.

Result: Massacre, Space Marines

observations:
1. he was very inexperienced with tyranids and had several (common) misconceptions, for example: he thought the tyrant with 2 venom cannons gets 6 normal shots. I had to actually read his codex to him to correct this.
(amusing anecdote: next to us was another marine vs tyranid game and after reading the appropriate section, the tyranid player there said "what? really?? OH!!!" as well. /facepalm)

2. be more careful with assault squad. flamers in the assault squad would have been nice, encouraging me to field them near the bikes for the anti-ripper, anti-elite assault.

3. snipers were ok, only killed 3 genestealers before they were wiped out. (didn't want to shoot them at the 2+ saves)

here is a rough map
Old 29 May 2007, 18:56   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default [Batrep]: Kublacon RTT Marines vs. Salamanders 1750 (2 of 3 Reports)

RTT 40k Tournament at Kublacon: 2 of 3 reports
3 heat tournament.
1750 points.

My list:
Librarian Codicier

Chaplain Reclusiarch
Bike, Terminator honors

10x Tac marines
flamer

10x Tac marines

10x Tac marines

7x Scout marines
6x Sniper rifles

6x Assault marines

5x Bike squadron
2x Meltaguns

5x Devastator marines
2x Lascannons
2x Plasma cannons

Predator annihilator

Second heat:
Opponent: Salamander infantry
Mission: Take and Hold (3 markers) (gamma)
His list (roughly)
Terminator Librarian w/fury
Librarian with fury (yes, two of them)
7x terminators, 2x assault cannons
2x10 tac marines, 2x meltaguns each
2x7 devastator marines, missiles and hbolters.

in this game, I tried to set the terrain fairly evenly, and the opponent loaded up one side. he won placing the Objective markers first and they ended up on his side of the table, too.
he won first turn choice and "allowed" me to go first
we rolled dawn (dusk and dawn)

he set up with an even distribution of units, and I had little option but to focus my high AP weapons in the center.

Turn 1:
Me: Dawn fight. I fail to spot anyone, my snipers move up into shooting range, bikes move behind the trees to get ready to strike the terminators.
Him: he moves up with all non-devastator unit, and takes a few pot shots, sends his fury of the ancients after my devastator squad. kills one, I fail the pinning check. (he also kills a couple others here and there).

Turn 2:
Me: I open fire with everything I have. Bikes double fire and meltagun the terminators, killing nothing. Predator opens up on dev dev squad 1 (who has no cover), kills nothing. plasma guns, rocket launchers, sniper rifles, everything. No kills whatsoever.
Bikes assault the terminators. kill 2 terminators. return attacks kill bikes outright.
Him: he moves terminator squad up at my Tac squad 2, opens fire, assaults, kills the unit. more shooting and fury reaps a deadly harvest across my variety of squads.

Turn 3:
Me: I try to throw up a defensive line with my 2 remaining tac squads. move up, open fire. I kill only a couple. Snipers finally kill 1 squad member from Dev 2. Remaining members of assault squad assault his Dev squad 2, and all of them die except the librarian (and I lose even one wound there) after killing 2 more dev squad members.
Him: Terminators advance, slaughtering everything they come across. Storm bolters tear through SM power armor as if it were Tyranid hide.

Turn 4:
Me: I have 1 librarian with 1 wound left, 1 unhurt Predator, and 1/2 of a sniper squad left. he has no squads under half. I tell him:
"Victory points alone, you have achieved a 'Massacre' result. I cannot kill enough of your models to reduce the level of loss. I concede." He graciously accepts.

Results: total loss.

Observations:
1. there is little that can be done when for the first 3 turns of the game about 60-70% of the rolls are 1's and 2's. even if your opponent is rolling "average" (which he was)

2. I suppose that I should have focused the librarian and the assault squad on the terminators. in a normal situation, the additional power attacks would be more than a little handy.

3. I've been thinking about putting a pair of flamers in the assault squad. an additional cost to be sure, but the additional automatic hits are a huge boon. in this situation it would have been good because of how tightly packed his units were.

4. At least I was laughing about how bad I was rolling and, when his friends asked how my opponent did, he was kind enough to state how badly I was rolling, offering a disclaimer for my total loss.

Old 29 May 2007, 20:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: [Batrep]: Kublacon RTT Marines vs. Tyranids 1750 (1 of 3 Reports)

Lookin good, +1 Karma.

However I did merge your two topics, there's no need for 3 topics when 1 will do just fine. Simply reply to the first topic with a new post. Not every battle report even needs its own individual topic, let alone 3 of them.

I'm looking forward to the third part.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2007, 22:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default [Batrep]: Kublacon RTT Marines vs. Tyranid Swarm 1750 (3 of 3 Reports)

RTT 40k Tournament at Kublacon: 3 of 3 reports
3 heat tournament.
1750 points.

My list:
Librarian Codicier

Chaplain Reclusiarch
Bike, Terminator honors

10x Tac marines
flamer

10x Tac marines

10x Tac marines

7x Scout marines
6x Sniper rifles

6x Assault marines

5x Bike squadron
2x Meltaguns

5x Devastator marines
2x Lascannons
2x Plasma cannons

Predator annihilator

Third heat:
Opponent: Tyranid Swarm
Mission: Annihilate the opponent (omega)
His list (roughly)
4x3 Warriors with:
ST/deathspitter
ST/deathspitter
Rending Claw/Venom Cannon
3x12 genestealers
24x spinegaunts
24x hormagaunts
9x ripper swarms with leaping
3x zoanthropes warp blast/synapse

By far the most intersting of the games this weekend, I've long believed that my marines were not up to dealing with a true swarm army, especially if I get stuck in an escalation mission.

Set up: a large amount of woods on the left side, a of small hill in the far center, a forest on my side in the center and a fortfication and another hill on the right. He spread his Warriors mostly near the fortification on the right, and then scattered his zoanthropes throughout his line. Genestealers got an excellent corridor to advance through that had a great amount of cover.

Concealment Rules
Turn 1:
Me: Concealment rules allow me only one shot in turn one, which I killed some spinegaunts with.
Him: he advances all of his tyranids. the warriors fire off a couple of venom cannon shots, to little effec, mostly protected by Concealment.

Turn 2:
Me: I get all my reserves except for my chaplain. I open up and kill a few of this and that, put one wound on a zoanthrope (from my dev squad). I assault the spinegaunts with the assault squad and kill a huge number of them. I interpose my bikes between the impending assault and the dev squad.
Him: his Hgaunts do not come in. he advances, he shoots, only killing a couple more. The ongoing assault suddenly ends with the spinegaunts dying to a bug. the sudden death of his central gaunt unit splits his forces, isolating most of his warriors from the rest of his troops. his rippers assault my bikes, killing 2. I fight back killing 2.67 bases.

Turn 3:
Me: Chaplain comes in, and moves up to the assault squad. (watching the avalanche of genestealers coming, I didn't want to get the chaplain stuck with the rest of the bikes). Devsquads continue to pummel zoanthropes (4 shots, 3 hits, 2 wounds and he makes one 6+ invulnerable save each time!!) Tac squad 1 moves up to the warriors in the fortification and lays down shooting flaming death.
Him: he shoots his deathspitters from his remaining warriors, getting no wounds on tac squad 1. Genestealers advance, and one unit steps out of cover.

Turn 4:
Me: Tac Squads 2 & 3, the Predator, open up on the exposed genestealer unit, killing it down to 2 models. Snipers plink away at the far right zoanthrope and he miraculously fails its 2+ Armor save twice! Devastators kill another zoanthrope on the right. Assault squad jumps the left hand warriors, kills 2 of 3. Bikes fight with rippers more. Chaplain assaults left hand Zoanthrope and kills it. Tac Squad 1 continues to flame and shoot the warriors in the bunker. most are dead now. Tac squad 1 loads into Rhino.
Him: Warrior shoots Predator and blows off las turret. Genestealers assault bikes, tac squads 2 & 3. 2 dies instantly. bikes fight off the 2 remaining genestealers, 3 holds off genestealers because they are really spread out and he can only kill 5. Marines pass morale. His Hgaunts finally come in, and assault my marine assault squad. only survivors: Sergeant with Pfist and Librarian. fight continues.

Turn 5:
Me: on the right, the tac squad, predator and snipers kill off the last of the warriors. Chaplain assaults into the Librarian, Sergeant, Warrior and Hgaunt melee. attacks are enough to kill off the warrior leaving NO synapse on the table. Hgaunts return attacks and cause no wounds. Hgaunts flee and are off the table. Genestealers kill of the remainder of Tac Squad 3.
Him: Genestealers assault the Dev squad and kill it. they split their advance: 1 squad after the mobile Librarian/Chaplain/Sergeant, 1 squad after the the predator/Tac squad 1.

~At this point the tournament organizers were calling the 10 minutes left mark~
Units remaining on the table:
Me:
Librarian: no wounds.
Chaplain: no wounds.
Assault Sergeant.
10x Tac Marines with power sword and flamer.
1 undamaged rhino.
1 Predator Annihilator with no Las turret.

Him:
2x12 squads of Genestealers.

his brother, who had been politely watching most of the game pipes up and the following conversation ensues:
Brother: "So, do you want to just call it here?"
Me: "No. still have 10 minutes."
Brother: "But then he probably won't get his turn"
Me: "that's the way these tournaments are played"
Brother: "But that's not fair"
Me: "that's the way these tournaments are played. You play until time is called. Besides, I don't think you have a concept as to how SHORT my turn will be."
Brother: "But.."
Him: "No. It's fine. Let's just play."

Irritated at the brother, I take my turn.

Turn 6:
Me: I move my Predator a little, and the rhino up and unload the troops right next to his genestealers. the Predator, Snipers, marines, and Rhino open up on the genestealer squad and kill every last one. I had moved my HQ units farther away, across the board.
Him: his other Genestealer unit could not reach assault, and that was the end of the game.

Totalling up points, I failed to realize I should have scored myself for the points that survived, nearly 700 points,and only counted the points for the units I killed. I fell short of a massacre by about 150 points.

Old 29 May 2007, 22:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
However I did merge your two topics, there's no need for 3 topics when 1 will do just fine. Simply reply to the first topic with a new post. Not every battle report even needs its own individual topic, let alone 3 of them.
ah ok. I didn't know... your "how to: Battle reports" either didn't make that clear or I missed it.

cheers
Old 29 May 2007, 23:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

It has nothing to do with battle reports really. It's simply spam, just like there doesn't need to be 3 topics for 1 debate, 3 topics announcing something, or 3 topics about a single story there need not be 3 topics for 1 battle report.

Other than that if people have to go through multiple threads to comment on your report your not likely to get much in the way of good feedback.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2007, 01:43   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

I have to say, nice job with the last game, and some great reports. Maybe now I'll get off my arse and make one Saturday night.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote