Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How's this for 750 pt BTs?
Old 06 May 2007, 18:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to titankiller
Default How's this for 750 pt BTs?

Here&#39;s an idea for a 750 point force I thought of recently.

HQ:
-The Emperor&#39;s Champion - 140 points
- Vow: Accept Any Challenge, No Matter The Odds

Troops:

- Crusader Squad - 101 points
- Initiate (bolter) x5
- Plasma gun, Lascannon

- Crusader Squad - 239 points
- Initiate (BP&CCW) x 9, Initiate (Bolter) x1, Neophyte (BP&CCW) x4
- Powerfist & BP, Meltagun, Frag grenades

- Land Raider Crusader - 269 points
- Smoke Launchers, Searchlight

Total: 749 points

Put the EC in with the LRC squad and roar off to challenge the enemy. The las/plas squad provides fire support, hopefully busting what limited armor the enemy has. Obviously, the whole plan revolves around keeping the LRC alive, seeing as how its more than 1/3 of the army. However, its also the trick up your sleeve, seeing as how next to nobody will be expecting to see an AV14 tank at this small a game.

So, what do you guys think? Do you think its cheesy? Comments and criticism welcome.

EDIT: Took the neophyte out of the las/plas squad, realized I hadn&#39;t payed for him.
Old 08 May 2007, 22:41   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default Re: How's this for 750 pt BTs?

You need another HQ, its not a matter of choice, unless, of course, you and your opponent are not using an HQ. Because the EC does not count as an HQ choice.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 05:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

According to GW, he does.

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...arted/core.htm

They list him as an HQ choice for an army greater than 750, with no other characters. It is my understanding that these "getting started" armies are intended to be legal within their [GW&#39;s] rules, so I&#39;ve always taken this as indication that the EC does in fact count as an HQ choice (the requisite one if necessary), but simply not taking up either of the slots, leaving them open for Commanders and/or Chaplains.

If GW&#39;s got something out saying otherwise, I&#39;d love to see it. I&#39;m all for obeying the rules, but I have to know them first. :P
Old 09 May 2007, 11:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

the way Ive always read the rules is that he is optional in any army smaller then 750pts, but you still need a regular leader in the army.

And about the fact with bringing a LRC into a 750 pts battle, I wouldnt face you, as that is such a low move that it wouldnt even detect on a radar. swap him for a few more bodies and a regular tank to give your opponent a fighting chance.
Old 09 May 2007, 11:29   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

I&#39;m under the same impression as well.

Hey, I&#39;ve had an LRC in a 500 point battle! It was two on two, and me and a friend decided to get back at the other guys for being ass holes, so we both took land raiders! They weren&#39;t very happy, but they knew they deserved it.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 20:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Meh go ahead and take a land raider in 750 points. It&#39;s a HUGE gamble. One lucky hit and its dead.

Then what do you do? That basically neuters 2/3+ of your army for your turn as your big crusader squad sits there stranded.

I think its a fluffy and cool list. Risky but rewarding.

However i&#39;m not sure about the legality of the EC as the only HQ. I can&#39;t comment though since I don&#39;t actually have a templar codex.
Falstead, you&#39;re a genius!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can&#39;t Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 May 2007, 22:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Chosen of the Emperor: Every Black Templars army of at least 750 points must include an Emperor&#39;s Champion. Forces smaller than this can use the Emperor&#39;s Champion, but do not have to (though this means that the army will not benefit from any vows). The Emperor&#39;s Champion does NOT use up an HQ slot on a Force Organization chart, so you may still pick your two HQ choices as normal.
That&#39;s what the codex entry says for him. He doesn&#39;t use up an HQ slot, but he is listed in the HQ section. This would (to me, at least) indicate he is an HQ selection, which is what the big book says you are required to have.

Also, it would seem fluffy to me that the Emperor&#39;s Champion would lead surgical strikes, when the other officers of the crusade have their attention drawn elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Meh go ahead and take a land raider in 750 points. It&#39;s a HUGE gamble. One lucky hit and its dead.

Then what do you do? That basically neuters 2/3+ of your army for your turn as your big crusader squad sits there stranded.

I think its a fluffy and cool list. Risky but rewarding.
That&#39;s one thing I took note of; LRC goes, the army is kinda dead in the water. Not royally screwed, but the efforts are seriously hampered. Besides, what is life if you don&#39;t take a few risks?