Raven Guard 3rd Company (1200pt) Army List
Old 30 Apr 2007, 01:21   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Raven Guard 3rd Company (1200pt) Army List

Raven Guard 3rd Company

HQ:

Captain Balthier Vincati
-Master, Master-Crafted Lightning Claws, Artificer Armor, Jump Pack, Frag Grenades, Krak Grenades, Iron Halo, Terminator Honors
Total: 203

Elites:

Veteran Assault Squad Graylor (5)
-Terminator Honors, Power Fist, Plasma Pistol x3, Combat Shield, Furious Charge, Melta Bombs
Total: 190

Assault Squad Farian (5)
-Terminator Honors, Power Fist, Plasma Pistol x3, Combat Shield, Furious Charge, Melta Bombs

Veteran Assault Squad Armand (5)

Troops:

Tactical Squad (5) Ordo
-Lascannon, Terminator Honors, Purity Seals, Power Fist
Total: 125

Tactical Squad (5) Daniard
-Lascannon, Terminator Honors, Purity Seals, Power Fist
Total: 125

Scout Squad Lamont (5)
-Bolter x4, Heavy Bolter
Total: 70

Scout Squad Sergar (5)
-Sniper Rifle x4, Missile Launcher
Total: 95

Army Total: 1188

HQ: 17%
Elites: 48%
Troops: 35%
Fast Attack: 0%
Heavy Support: 0%

The army is new, so far I've won twice with them and tied a third game, the tie only happened cause I either had the choice to stay put behind hills and hide or run out into the guns of an AV 14 Chaos Predator Annihilator and die horribly. So I've thrown in a couple tac squads with powerfists and lascannons, the powerfists are there cause, well I have the points and bits to spare and I figure a few burried powerfists can't hurt. But I could use some advice and criticism, I really need to get three more assault squads to fill the Fast Attack and keep those ones cheap with nothing but a vet sergeant with power fist and combat shield, no Furious Charge, Plasma Pistols or Melta Bombs, just more bodies to screen the more veteran squads and add numbers. 30 Assault Marines will be harder to take down than 15 and would help insure some get to the enemy IMO but its another 75 bucks I don't have atm. So what does the membership of Tau Online think of this list so far?

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 15:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Raven Guard 3rd Company (1200pt) Army List

It's an interesting list. Those assault squads are going to put out some serious hurt on the charge. I'd suggest getting a Chaplain on a jetpack instead of the Captain, as the litanies make for a really fearsome CC unit. Other than that, it looks pretty good to me. The one thing that worries me is the small squad sizes; not hard to start taking leadership checks, and the squads are going to have to work in perfect unison to hold their own in combat.
SmellTheAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 15:53   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Conspiracyylover

I like, but I agree the squads are too small. And I think that the powerfists are a point sink in the tac squads since they are going to be sitting back and shooting and by the time they would get to swing them, they will probebly be dead with their small numbers.
Conspiracyylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2007, 17:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

A lot of upgrades on not a lot of bodies.

I think you need some more troops in this list. Against someone with lots of guns and maneuverability, or some other way to block/slow down your assault units (skimmer walls, counter charge units, veil of darkness, ect) you will have a lot of trouble.

You can hit hard, but if it comes to attrition you won't last long.

The tac squads don't need powerfists, use the points from the veteran sergeants to add 2 more marines to each squad.

Consolidate the three assault squads into 2 squads, one of 7 and one of 8 (or two of 8 if you have one more assault marine).

I wouldn't spend that many points on a master. Grabbing either a chaplain (for the litanies) or a nasty combat librarian would be good. Fear the darkness, veil of time, jump pack and familiar could be a mean combo.

Anyways that's my $.02.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote