Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] The Fist of Dorn, 1500pts Imperial Fists vs 13th Company
Old 19 Apr 2007, 21:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default [BatRep] The Fist of Dorn, 1500pts Imperial Fists vs 13th Company

[size=14pt]The Fist of Dorn[/size]

[size=12pt]Introduction[/size]

This was an interesting battle. Recently I decided to put the 20 odd old plastic Terminators I have had for a while to use. After some thinking I decided to do a "for fun" Lysanderwing army. Based around Lysander and a number of additoinal HQs (3 others eventually). So with the army almost completed I decided to try out the 1500pt list. The only army open for my opponent yesterday was a 13th Company force.

[size=12pt]Army Lists[/size]

Imperial Fists 1st Company

-1st Captain Kharavhn Stonefist (Lysander)
-Terminator Command Squad Gormier (6), Assault Cannon x1
-Master of Sanctity Philanthos Soren, Terminator Armor, Storm Bolter, Bionics, Adamantine Mantle, Melta Bombs, Purity Seals (Note: I'm gonna drop and swap around that stuff soon)
-Terminator Squad Falcose Varenthian III (5), Heavy Flamer x2
-Terminator Squad Seridur Vallen (5), Heavy Flamer x2
-Terminator Squad Orius Stren (5), Cyclone Missile Launcher x2
-Scout Squad Bothiel (5), ccws & bps, Terminator Honors, Teleport Homer
-Scout Squad Ckrius (5), ccws & bps, Terminator Honors, Teleport Homer
-Scout Squad Lordam (5), bolters, Terminator Honors, Teleport Homer

13th Company
Wolf Lord, Mark of the Wulfen, Belt of Russ, Frost Axe, Combat Shield (and probably a lot more)
Wolf Priest, Herbs and Balms, Bolt Pistol (and a lot more most likely)
Wulfen Squad (8)
Grey Slayers (10), Melta Guns x2, Power Fist

I'm not very sure about the 13th Company list but it looks about right.

[size=12pt]Terrain[/size]

The Terrain was rather plain. A small dirt path on the far right with two small forrested hills on the right side of it. A river on the left with a scatter of woods around it and a wooded hill dominating the center of the board with a ruined tower on it. Simple and to the point. Between the tower and the woods on the right was a no mans land.

[size=12pt]Deployment[/size]

The Space Wolves deployed entirely to the upper left, in a close formation with the wulfen in the midst of the 3 Grey Slayer squads. I didn't deploy anything till my opponent was entirely finished and then I deployed the bolter scouts in the lower of the right forrest hills, one of the cc squads in the upper hill and the third went behind the tower forrest in the center, opposite the Space Wolves.

[size=12pt]The Fist of Dorn[/size]

First Captain Kharavhn Stonefist knelt in the center of the teleportation matrix. Assembled on the teleport pad was more than twenty of the First Company's veterans. Kharavhn had recieved word that strange mutated Astartes had appeared on the world of Gerion VII, the Imperial Guard had been fighting the Orks on the planet for some time, a campaign lasting for almost ten years. Recently however, things became more complicated when the forces of the Thousand Sons had appeared and begun to wreak havoc. For what reason the traitor marines had appeared Kharavhn did not know, but shortly after the traitors had arrived a force of Space Wolves had appeared on the planet. Kharavhn had fought beside the Sons of Fenris many times before, and despite their unorthodox methods he had a grudging respect for them, yet these Space Wolves were different, packs of feral wolves accompanied them and many of their number appeared to be strange bestial wolf men. Mutants, one of those unclean enemies the Emperor had ordered the Astartes to cleanse from the Imperium, Captain Stonefist had no idea what had happened to these Space Wolves but his duty was certain, they must be cleansed, for their presence was no less an abomination than that of the traitor legion.

"Captain, the teleportation arrays are prepared." Announced the voice of a tech magos, more machine than man, standing at the controls of the ancient teleportation device.

"Commence." Kharavhn answered. This battle would be an important one.

[hr]

Turn 1:
Space Wolves
I won the role for first turn but made my opponent go first anyway. Space Wolves all moved forward, carefull to stay together but still spread out fairly well throughout the forrests.

Imperial Fists
Scout Squads on the right moved around in their terrain a bit with nothing else to do, scout squad in center moved back to draw out the Space Wolves.

Turn 2:
Space Wolves
Wolves moved forward some more and shot down two of the 5 scouts.

Imperial Fists
Scouts moved towards the Grey Slayers, shot down one with their bolt pistols and charged in, killing another two and losing two in return, squads piled in.

Turn 3:
Space Wolves
Wolves finished off scout sergeant and fell back into the forrests, now completely filling the left forrests but staying well out of sight of the right side of the board.

Imperial Fists
Finally I made my reserve rolls, even with the re-roll my terminators didn't arrive till turn 3. I brought down all four squads on the right of the board around my two remaining scout squads.

And this was technically game. With 70pts of Dead Space Wolves and 83pts of Dead Imperial Fists 0 and 83pts Respectively of VPs and both armies on opposite sides of the board, out of sight or out of range and with only 3 turns remaining the only way the game would have amounted to anything was if both armies marched forward, but the Space Wolves hid in the forrest cowering from the Imperial Fists guns and the Fists were nicely bunkered down. So we called it a tie and decided to keep playing past the turn limit to see what would happen.

Turn 4:
Space Wolves
Wolves advanced towards the tower, cowering in the forrests.

Imperial Fists
All squads moved forward to the edges of their cover, forming a solid firing line.

Turn 5:
Space Wolves
Space Wolves advanced further into the woods, still staying mostly out of sight.

Imperial Fists
Two Cyclone Launchers fired krak missiles and punched down one Grey Slayer that was just barely too close to the forrest edge.

Turn 6:
Space Wolves
All squads ran out of the woods as fast as possible, making it mostly to the edge.

Imperial Fists
All guns opened up and knocked down around 6 Grey Slayers.

Turn 7:
Space Wolves
Squads ran out of cover further, some still lagging in the woods.

Imperial Fists
Gunfire downed a few more Grey Slayers but the largest target was the Wulfen and only one of them fell thanks to some terrible luck.

Turn 8:
Space Wolves
Wulfen outdistanced the other 13th Company marines but were just shy of reaching the Scouts in cover.

Imperial Fists
CC scouts advanced on the Wulfen as did one of the twin flamer Terminator Squads. Bolter Scouts rapid fired, flamers and storm bolters and other fire chewed down all the remaining wulfen and put a wound on the Wolf Priest. Other Terminator Squads walked backwards shooting. Scouts charged the Wolf Priest but he managed to kill all 5 of them, blasted luck.

Turn 9:
Space Wolves
Wolf Priest assaulted the twin flamer Terminators killing two and was joined by a 5 man Grey Slayer unit that had been previously shot up.

Imperial Fists
Lysander and his command squad with the Chaplain attatched marched forward and assaulted the Wolf Priest. Other Terminator Squads backed up. Bolter Scouts kept up their fire and storm bolters and the cyclone launchers accounted for quite a few more Grey Slayers. One squad was at 1 man, one was at 4, one at 5 and one at 8 if I remember right. In close combat the Chaplain took another wound off the Wolf Priest who failed to wound the Terminators, the 3 Man Terminator Squads sergeant finished off the Wolf Priest and Lysander killed two of the Grey Slayers, the other 3 falling to the rest of the squads power fists, Lysander's squad losing one man in return. In consolidation both squads rolled 5 inches and fell back to rejoin the line.

Turn 10:
Space Wolves
Remaining Grey Slayers ran forward and gunned down two of the bolter scouts and one more terminator from the 3 man squad.

Imperial Fists
Gunfire knocked the 8 man squad down to 7 men and wiped out the other 4 man squad. At this point my opponent called the game for a second time, despite having a few Grey Slayers left and the Wolf Lord.

[hr]

Kharavhn threw the body of a Space Wolf off of the Fist of Dorn and surveyed the battlefield. With a sweep of his storm shield he commanded his Terminators back into the Firing line, a few had fallen but the cassualties had mostly been to the young scouts who had guided his veterans to the field. The open grassland between the hills and the forrest ruins were littered with dead Space Wolves, less than a dozen still stood but amongst them was their battle leader. Kharavhn roared a challenge to the mutants but with a flash and the stinking scent of the Immaterium the surviving Space Wolves were gone. Looking around the field Kharavhn saw that more than half of the scouts still stood and he had lost only a handful of his Terminators.

"Honored First Captain," Came the voice of Chaplain Philanthos, "The enemy has been defeated, the Fist of Dorn has crushed the vile traitors, mutants and heretics once again."

"We have done honor to the Emperor and Dorn this day," Kharavhn replied. "See to the wounded and lead the men in the victory rites, we will return to the Phalanx within the hour."

The day had been won, but the mystery of who these strange Space Wolves were had not been solved, shouldering his mighty Thunder Hammer, the Fist of Dorn, Kharavhn walked the battlefield surveying the corpses. He would solve this mystery and bring the light of the Emperor into the dark once more, as was his duty, as he had always done.

[hr]

[size=12pt]Results:[/size]
Space Wolf Cassualties
32 Grey Slayers
Wolf Priest
8 Wulfen

Imperial Fist Cassualties
7 Scouts
4 Terminators

Offical End Results: Tie
Continued Results: Crushing Victory to the Imperial Fists

[size=12pt]End Game Comments[/size]

The army worked much as I had expected and I am quite pleased with how it performed. My reserve rolls were terrible but once my troops did arrive, the ability to have them all arrive at the same time, and on target was invaluable. I was able to dig in and wear down the Space Wolves as they charged across open ground. Forcing them to travel through so much cover also made them inevitably stagger and spread out with barely 5 Grey Slayers and the Wolf Priest able to assault me and even then my counter assault unit with Lysander and the Chaplain was able to quickly annihilate those few who did reach me, then fall back and re-form the firing line. The battle was one of attrition and it worked. The Space Wolves were at a bit of a disadvantage though and I'm looking forward to testing out this army further.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Apr 2007, 00:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing
Default Re: [BatRep] The Fist of Dorn, 1500pts Imperial Fists vs 13th Company

Awesome report. Reminds me of Smell The Ashes's mantra: We strike from nowhere

Very fluffy so far as my own knowledge of the imperium, as the fundamental questions first, then skip to the action is the way marines tend to do it. wheras other less zeot-like forces tend to say "wait, theyre killing the chaos guys, let's look a little more and see if they start killing the orks too" and when that happens they say "you know what? these guys are helping us! quick take the chance!".

then again as an eldar player i am tottaly biased so i leave with the following remark:

great report, again and to each his own
Old 21 Apr 2007, 05:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Seeing the Wolves cowering behind the trees was priceless. Now I just gotta paint them all.

Old 21 Apr 2007, 20:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to captain_octavain

Painting, HA!, who paints!

Nice Battle Report
for preserving my rights
to live and die for this life
and paying the ultimate price for me to be...FREE!
captain_octavain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 09:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Interesting battle report Vash!

+1 karma awarded.
Stam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 11:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

nice report my friend, i've never played ten turns before lol! how long did the game take?

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 16:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Interesting battle report Vash!

+1 karma awarded.
Thanks ;D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose
nice report my friend, i've never played ten turns before lol! how long did the game take?
Only about an hour. It was at a nice size but both armies were very pricey and low in number, while we did stop and go do other things now and then the game itself from start to finish, with the interruptions cut out took only a little more than an hour for all 10 turns.

Old 23 Apr 2007, 16:31   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Nice battle report, however, as quite the Space Wolf Aficionado, I can say that his army was terrible. He lacked the fast attack goodness that makes the 13th company shine, mainly Fenrisian Wolf Packs. Also, I think that him being baited out of the forest after turn 3 was unwise on his part. Coming out of the area he was in was tactically unsound. Other people may have called it cowering on his part, but he was simply doing what was being done on the other side of the field by the Fists, with the only difference being the terrain they were in. Also, did he even slightly take advantage of the free scout move his entire army gets before the game begins, since I didn't see that mentioned at all.

All in all, he picked a terrible choice for a footslogging army. If you have nothing but basic moving infantry, with only a small unit of wulfens, you better have some long range love to back you up for situations like this. And if he knew he was facing terminators, then he should have brought a long fang pack, equipped with melta and plasma goodies, and used the Rune Priests "The Gate" Ability to deepstrike amongst the terminators lines, and fire with reckless abandon. Sure they will die, but I have had squads of those deepstrike, shoot at the nice termie units that stand back, and destroy 6-7 terminators thanks to that lovely fire control ability. Then, the enemy is forced to deal with them, otherwise, you will shoot again the next turn. It's the little things like this that separate the mediocre, from the classy.

I am not trying to water down your victory at all. You both had a great spot to hide in, and you got him to flinch and come to you. I am just saying that personally, I think that the player should be demoted to blood claw, and banished to no ale for 2 years.

Once again, nice nice nice battle report, and good job with the pictures. Also, I like the idea of your army, it definitely looks like it needs finesse to play, which I am more than confident you have from your past posts.
Deius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2007, 17:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deius
Nice battle report, however, as quite the Space Wolf Aficionado, I can say that his army was terrible. He lacked the fast attack goodness that makes the 13th company shine, mainly Fenrisian Wolf Packs. Also, I think that him being baited out of the forest after turn 3 was unwise on his part. Coming out of the area he was in was tactically unsound. Other people may have called it cowering on his part, but he was simply doing what was being done on the other side of the field by the Fists, with the only difference being the terrain they were in. Also, did he even slightly take advantage of the free scout move his entire army gets before the game begins, since I didn't see that mentioned at all.
He did use the scout move to get closer to the left scout squad but it didn't help him much, I placed the scouts badly in the first place. The other thing is that he did have Fenrisian Wolves, about 12-15 from what I could see and he had at least one squad of Long Fangs. Why he didn't use them I have no idea.

Quote:
All in all, he picked a terrible choice for a footslogging army. If you have nothing but basic moving infantry, with only a small unit of wulfens, you better have some long range love to back you up for situations like this. And if he knew he was facing terminators, then he should have brought a long fang pack, equipped with melta and plasma goodies, and used the Rune Priests "The Gate" Ability to deepstrike amongst the terminators lines, and fire with reckless abandon. Sure they will die, but I have had squads of those deepstrike, shoot at the nice termie units that stand back, and destroy 6-7 terminators thanks to that lovely fire control ability. Then, the enemy is forced to deal with them, otherwise, you will shoot again the next turn. It's the little things like this that separate the mediocre, from the classy.
He was expecting me to deep strike right infront of him, and perhaps if mythird scout squad had lived longer or I had made my reserves roll earlier I would have, but I didn't and he got stuck on the other side of the board. Walking forward for me was pointless, I was out in the open anyway and would just walk into his guns and he was left walking into my guns. Tactically he had the numbers and if he had backed up his Wolf Priest more, held back the Wulfen another turn instead of throwing them forward or continued the game and sent the Wolf Lord and the surviving Grey Slayers into combat he would have won, the Wolf Lord had apparently 10, str 5 power weapon attacks on the charge... why he didn't charge I have no idea. Why he didn't take Long Fangs or Wolves I don't know either. I asked him about it and he just said he didn't need them. Ah well apparently he is selling the army anyway, I'm considering buying them from him but I'd prefere normal Space Wolves to the 13th Company.

Quote:
I am not trying to water down your victory at all. You both had a great spot to hide in, and you got him to flinch and come to you. I am just saying that personally, I think that the player should be demoted to blood claw, and banished to no ale for 2 years.
He plays Thousand Sons too, what can I say... Tzeentch addled his brain I think. Though its also funny when I play his Thousand Sons I take my 3 Librarian Blood Ravens army, all those psychic hoods messing with his powers is fun and he is apparently selling the 13th Company as I said, I dunno why he started them in the first place. For some reason all the Thousand Sons players I know also have Space Wolves of one kind or another too.

[qoute]
Once again, nice nice nice battle report, and good job with the pictures. Also, I like the idea of your army, it definitely looks like it needs finesse to play, which I am more than confident you have from your past posts.
[/quote]

Thanks.

Old 26 Apr 2007, 01:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well even though you did beat the wolves I have to say you did the right thing and he did the wrong thing. Why he bothered charging you I don't know but that was just stupid. Just a question did he use the 13th's move through cover special rule? That would of made thing easier for him. That and he had didn't use any of his fast units to their potential. Oh well hopefully next time he'll learn. Only thing I'd say if you go up against someone who plays a foot slogging CC army just start the game on the table. Termies are pretty good at shooting so generally you'll be able to just blast them and whittle them down to the point your powerfists can beat them to a bloody pulp.

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote