Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

first time, first draft 1500pt urban list
Old 16 Mar 2007, 17:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default first time, first draft 1500pt urban list

Some of you might recognize me from over on the Tau side of things. My cadre is nearing completion, and I am looking toward taking up some Marines. I admit that I tire of getting my butt handed to me in assaults, so I want to get a Cities of Death compatible urban assault list going. Being new to the forces of the Imperium, I could use some feedback.

[size=14pt]Army Name: Purifiers (working chapter name) 2nd Company [/size]

Conceptually, this force is an urban cleansing detachment, often working with an Inquisitor to whom they have an ancient debt (aka, a friend of mine with a SoB army). They have the traits See but don’t be seen and Cleanse and purify. Their disadvantage is Flesh over steel. They are designed for Cities of Death sorts of tables: small, claustrophobic, plenty of assault, and not a lot of space for vehicles. With that in mind I refuse to take any vehicles other than skimmers or walkers, as they would be limited or bogged down in the crumbling streets. I am also more of a conceptual player than a competitive gamer (as are my opponents), so I am not going the “6 man lasplas tac squad” route. They have a particular fondest for flamers and plasma, if you don’t happen to notice, as well as power fists (for “crushing” the enemies of the emperor).

[hr]
[hr]

[HQ]

HQ 1: Chaplain-Reclusiarch: 120
- Terminator honors
- Jump Pack

[hr]

[ELITES]

Elite 1: Venerable Hellfire Dreadnought: 170
- Extra Armor
- TL Lascannon
- Missile Launcher
- Venerable
- Tank Hunter

Elite 2: Close Combat Dreadnought: 120
- Extra Armor
- Heavy Flamer

[hr]

[TROOPS]

Troops 1: 7 man tactical fire support squad: 120
- Sergeant w/bolter
- 4 Marines w/bolters
- Marine w/plasma gun
- Marine w/heavy bolter

Troops 2: 7 man tactical fire support squad: 120
- Sergeant w/bolter
- 4 Marines w/bolters
- Marine w/plasma gun
- Marine w/heavy bolter

Troops 3: 8 man tactical cleansing squad: 190
- Veteran Sergeant w/power fist and bolt pistol
- 5 Marines w/bolters
- Marine w/flamer
- Marine w/meltagun
- Infiltrate

Troops 4: 8 man tactical cleansing squad: 190
- 5 Marines w/bolters
- Marine w/flamer
- Marine w/meltagun
- Infiltrate

[hr]

[FAST ATTACK]

Fast Attack 1: 8 man assault squad: 206
- 7 Marines w/bolt pistol and CCW
- all have frags and jump packs

[hr]

[HEAVY SUPPORT]

Heavy Support 1: 8 man devastator squad: 230
- Sergeant w/bolter
- 3 Marines w/bolters
- 2 Marines w/missile launchers
- Marine w/lascannon
- Marine w/plasma cannon

[hr]

[size=14pt]Army Total: 1466 [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

As it stands, I would like to squeeze a Land Speeder Tornado in (the model rocks, and I could use another Assault Cannon), or maybe make the assault squad smaller and squeeze in a second. One idea to get the land speeder would be to take 1 marine from each fire support tac squad and drop the venerable/tankhunting from the hellfire dred. 30+30+34=94-80(for the tornado)=14. I could use those points to stick a couple of plasma pistols in the assault squad for extra punch.

Or, I could drop the same stuff, and relocate 2 members of the assault squad to get 138 and grab a second six man assault squad without a vet sarge w/power fist (and maybe stick a flamer or pistol in for good measure).

Which do you think would be more advantageous? And advise me if I have made any glaring oversights or open blunders, as I have only barely taken up the banner of the Emperor’s Finest.
Commander Ghostrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Mar 2007, 11:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to titankiller
Default Re: first time, first draft 1500pt urban list

Quote:
HQ 1: Chaplain-Reclusiarch: 120
- Terminator honors
- Jump Pack
He&#39;s good and solid, but I will point out a slight flaw: for just 1 point, you can give this guy 5 attacks standard, 6 on the charge. For another point, you can insure that he doesn&#39;t get hosed by charging into cover. I always give my characters frag grenades and bolt pistols (or ccw, whichever tickles your fancy).

Quote:
Elite 1: Venerable Hellfire Dreadnought: 170
- Extra Armor
- TL Lascannon
- Missile Launcher
- Venerable
- Tank Hunter
Personally, I believe you&#39;ve got too many points put into this one vehicle. From personal experience, I would say that venerable status simply isn&#39;t worth it: it rarely saves the dread. Plus, owing to the fact that theres only 2 of them and no other vehicles, guess who gets to be shot by the anti-armor guns first? :-\ I would leave him as is, but lose venerable and the skill.

Quote:
Elite 2: Close Combat Dreadnought: 120
- Extra Armor
- Heavy Flamer
I like him. Solid.

Quote:
Troops 1: 7 man tactical fire support squad: 120
- Sergeant w/bolter
- 4 Marines w/bolters
- Marine w/plasma gun
- Marine w/heavy bolter

Troops 2: 7 man tactical fire support squad: 120
- Sergeant w/bolter
- 4 Marines w/bolters
- Marine w/plasma gun
- Marine w/heavy bolter
These squads are solid, especially for a CoD game. My only comment would be to drop them 6 men each, and give them infiltrate. It would go with the theme, plus in modern urban warfare, it usually comes down to units of 3-10 men fighting each other, so 6 is right at home.

Quote:
Troops 3: 8 man tactical cleansing squad: 190
- 5 Marines w/bolters
- Marine w/flamer
- Marine w/meltagun
- Infiltrate

Troops 4: 8 man tactical cleansing squad: 190
- 5 Marines w/bolters
- Marine w/flamer
- Marine w/meltagun
- Infiltrate
Again, solid. Here, my advice would be to specialize each squad. Put both flamers in one squad and both meltaguns in the other. Hence, one squad sweeps "house-to-house", the other keeps watch outside for tanks and heavy infantry.

Quote:
Fast Attack 1: 8 man assault squad: 206
- 7 Marines w/bolt pistol and CCW
- all have frags and jump packs
These guys, I would most definately give them a pair of flamers. Fits the theme of city fighters quite well, not to mention the sheer on-table devestation a pair of flying flamers generates (believe me, I&#39;ve seen it happen. A lot.).

Quote:
Heavy Support 1: 8 man devastator squad: 230
- Sergeant w/bolter
- 3 Marines w/bolters
- 2 Marines w/missile launchers
- Marine w/lascannon
- Marine w/plasma cannon
Again, I would say give them focus, but then again, my friend Astartes X has recently begun running a devestator squad that mixes weapons like this and its been doing fine. To each his own I guess (actually, I&#39;m not really one to give advice on devs, seeing as how my Templars can&#39;t take them &gt;... chainsword FTW).

Units I would recommend you take a look at for this list:

Veteran Squads: Essentially just another tac squad, due to the fact that you can take infiltrate on both. However, Veterans can be oriented for close combat, being able to take up to 2 powerfists, a power weapon, in addition to just taking pistols and ccws.

Scout Squads: They can do almost everything the tacs can, except take the special weapons. However, they end up being 5 points cheaper, the only loss being a slightly worse armor save, but also gaining Move Through Cover (which is very handy to have in city fighting). Plus, they can also be tooled for hand-to-hand, like the Veterans. Finally, they also are the only way for your marines to put sniper rifles on the table.

Vindicator: Now, I know you said "no tanks," but let me point out this one&#39;s strengths at city fighting. Take the vindicator, give it Power of the Machine Spirit, Extra Armor, and Dozer Blades. You now have a tank which can launch S10 pie plates every turn, so long as its alive and still has its gun. Its much better at moving through all those buildings, which will also help to increase its survivablility (hull-down, usually). All for 165 points, less than the venerable dread. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 17 Mar 2007, 17:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the advice, it was pretty comprehensive. Not being used to wargearing out ICs this way (battlesuits spoil me ;D), I had entirely overlooked the frags and bolt pistol on the Chappy, and that would have been a grievous oversight indeed. Thanks for pointing that out.

I was considering ditching the venerable already, and I think your opinion just pushed me over the edge. I think I will also drop 1 man from each of the fire support squads, which I was considering doing anyway. That ought to give me a full squad of points to play with (I&#39;ll get to that in a minute).

Discussing the cleansing squads and devastator, I wanted them both to be pretty flexible, as I am used to simply being able to get the right weapon to the right place with sheer mobility, but this army is all on foot. I figured that the 2 ML, 1LC, 1PC loadout on the dev squad would be pretty effective, as every one of those guns can put a sizable hole in a tank, and only the Lascannon would be a waste shooting at infantry. Similar idea with the flamer/melta combo. On a tank, the flamer is wasted, but both are great for infantry. I could be wrong, and I am considering both of those suggestions, but I might like another opinion or three first.

With my spare points from eliminating some tac marines and the venerable status, I&#39;m not quite sure what to get. To me, this list lacks armour stopping power. 1 dev squad, 1 anti-armour dred, and some mixed powerfists and meltas don&#39;t seem to be enough to me, but I could be wrong. I am used to taking railheads, PR/FB Crisis, and FB pirahna, so I&#39;m not sure what is standard for others. I like the landspeeder model, a lot. a CC vet squad or another assault squad (make them 6 and 6 man squads) are up there, and I love the model for scout snipers. I&#39;m afraid

I&#39;d have to leave out the Vindicator, because I&#39;m pretty dead set against no tracked vehicles as a matter of theme. I&#39;m excited to see fights more like the last battle in Saving Private Ryan (yes, the germans had 1 tank, but I&#39;ll forget that). With regular opponents around here like footslogging Orks and Necrons, large model infantry battles in the streets will be pretty epic ordeals. Besides, I already have 3 DF and 2 railheads plus a pirahna in my Tau list, I&#39;ve had enough of painting vehicles for now :P

Thanks muchly again, I will get to work on revising my list. More suggestions are welcome!
Commander Ghostrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2007, 16:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you would like an assaulty army you could go with a more cc orientated army (Templars, Wolves, Blood angels...). But otherwise I agree with titan killer. You might want a commander because while your chaplain is kick ass (I always field 1) the commander confers his Ld to all marines on the table (kinda useful in a cityfight ). Hope I&#39;ve been a help.
Tashvar Myen Jkaara is offline   Reply With Quote