Warhammer 40K Forum

1500pts of Stonecutters. Less drop-poddy, more vehicles
Old 05 Mar 2007, 17:05   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default 1500pts of Stonecutters. Less drop-poddy, more vehicles

[size=14pt]Army Name: Stonecutter's 3rd Company Taskforce [/size]

[hr]
Traits
Trust your Battle Brothers- Stonecutter initiation rituals.
Cleanse and Purify- Not used that much, but it comes in handy. Could be a sign of salamander ancestry

Drawbacks
Eye to Eye- Fits better than the other 2 :-[
Faithful unto Death- Pennace for taking the (IMO) least harsh of the major drawbacks
[hr]

[HQ]

HQ 1: Reclusiarch "Number 8": 127pts
- Bolt Pistol, Crozius, Rosarius, Jump Pack, Terminator honours, Frags Grenades, Melta Bombs.

Leads the assault squad. Can advance or counter charge. Melta Bombs+Litanies of Hate= Merry Christmas!

[hr]

[ELITES]

Elite 1: Dreadnought: 130pts
- Assault Cannon, Extra Armour, Venerable Upgrade

Elite 2: Siege Dreadnought (Forgeworld): 125pts
- Inferno Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armour

Tag-Team dreadnought wrestling! One of the classic multi-role assault cannon toting ones for multi role capabaility and venerable upgrade for survivability and the whacko fire spraying maniac to incinerate infantry. Plus DCCWs are nice for counter-charging

[hr]

[TROOPS]

Troops 1: 8 tactical marines (inc vet sarge): 189pts
- True Grit+Counter Attack upgrade, Bolters, CCWs, Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter. Vet Sarge has bolter and power fist

Troops 2: 8 tactical marines (inc vet sarge): 189pts
- True Grit+Counter Attack upgrade, Bolters, CCWs, Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter. Vet Sarge has bolter and power fist

Line holding units. True Grit, Counter Attack and hopefully cover make these guys tough to shift while bolters and heavy/special weaponry give them firepower. Heavy Bolters are cheap enough that it's not much of a loss if I have to move em

Troops 3: 8 tactical marines (inc vet sarge): 229pts
- True Grit+Counter Attack upgrade, Bolters, CCWs, 2 meltaguns. Vet Sarge has bolter and power fist. Mounted in Drop Pod

Close Range Tank Hunting unit with drop pod delivery system. Another tough unit to shift once it touches down

Troops 4: 5 tactical marines "The Necessary Evils": 100pts
- Lascannon, Plasma Gun

Troops 5: 5 tactical marines "The Necessary Evils 2": 100pts
- Lascannon, Plasma Gun

Is Boring! I just need some tank/monstrous creature hunting to back up my true grit units

[hr]

[FAST ATTACK]

Fast Attack 1: 7 Assault Marines (inc vet sarge): 184
- bolt pistols, CCWs, frag grenades. Vet sarge has bolt pistol and power fist.

Combined with the chaplain makes a fairly nasty unit on the charge. Not to be send up against stupidly powerful assault units, but can do the job reasonably well. Power Fist+Litanies of Hate = Merry Christmas!

[hr]

[HEAVY SUPPORT]

Heavy Support 1: Predator Destructor: 120pts
- Autocannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Extra Armour, Dozer Blade.

Anti infantry tank with secondary light vehicle killing capability. I like to hide tanks behind terrain during deployment so the dozer blade will come in handy. Hopefully it and the dreadnoughts will be able to split the enemy's firepower and give all 3 a decent chance of survival for at least a few turns

[hr]

[size=14pt]Army Total: 1493pts [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

Ok so overall the plan is form a firing line with 2 True Grit units in front and lascannon squads in the rear, fire on the enemy, rapid fire him when he gets close and either dare the survivors to charge my true grit squads or hit them with the assault squad+dreadnoughts. Drop Pod unit shows up where needed and hopefully blasts a tank or something. Predator and Dreadnoughts can slowly advance toward objectives, firing all the way. Assault Squad can counter-charge or advance as needed and has surprising anti-tank ability in CC.

I've actually been thinking of trying a list like this with a deathwatch kill team in the future, but I think I'll see how this one works out first.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2007, 19:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 1500pts of Stonecutters. Less drop-poddy, more vehicles

I personally don't do odd numbered squads, other than that i like your list. It's different!

bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2007, 19:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I like it!

The strategy sounds pretty solid to me. Nice firebase with some good counter charge abilities. I'd give the veterans in the true grit squads on the ground bolt pistols instead of bolters, but that's just me.

Oh and with 7 points left you may as well give your assault squad sergeant some melta bombs.

It actually looks like the kind of list you can make with the new Dark angels codex, you might want to check that out and see if you'd like to make your stonecutters into a successor chapter.

It'd fit the fluff well, lots of strange rituals, forbidden secrets ancient prophecies and enough dresses robes for everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2007, 23:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well the army has been tested in battle and done well. It was a Secure and Control mission with 5 bloody objectives that only went to turn 4 due to time constraints (which forced me to advance toward objectives earlier than I had planned). Some things had to be stood-in for, but most of the arm's core is indeed constructed

It was against an old friend with his ork army (although he had the luxury of being able to borrow the units he didn't have from my own green-skinned horde). As I had a forgeworld unit so did he. Three Grot Bomb Launchas. Good thing that even with the re-roll those things didn't prove very accurate

Best unit was probably the predator. The orks only really got their rokkits into range of it late in the game and buy that point it had more than earned it's keep.

The line-holding units did their job well, but did not see all that much action. Still they kept up a good hail of firepower and managed to rid me of his damnedable buggies (which would later form a handy wreck-wall)

Las/plas units did alright... Of course when one unit's best target is the frontal armour of a looted russ and the rest of his army is light vehicles and infantry you don't exactly have many choice targets.

Drop pod unit got foiled by some bad luck and coming in too early. I was SO hoping for them to come in on turn 3 so that the main horde would have to go backwards if they wanted to deal with them. Oh well, plans don't work all the time. They blew it trying to melta the russ as well, only shutting it up for a single turn before getting a full mob charging them. They gave a good account though, so they at least died reasonably well.

Dreadnoughts had a bit of a bad day, although they were able to contribute to the war effort. With those last 7 (actually 6) points I bought them smoke launchers. Why? I realized that with the short range of their weapons they may not come into range for a turn or so. It certainly helped, the glancing hits prevented the siege dread from being destroyed (it lost it's lovely inferno cannon instead ) and reduced a potential immobilization on the venerable to shaken (thank you extra armour!). The siege dread was able to use his dead buggies to stay out of sight (we play wrecks as size 3 blocks) and capture an objective, while the venerable did more in death than in life. First he manages a single rending hit with the only burst he would get all game with his assault cannon, but rolls a 1 on the second die, doing squat to the russ... Then an ork mob charges him. Nob's powerklaw gets a penetrating 6 AND a penetrating 5. For a moment I considered making him re-roll, but I didn't. KABOOM! 6 dead orks >

The assault squad and chaplain essentially saved my ass. All game I had been holding them back, the frothing nutters practically screaming "TURN US LOOSE!", and when I finally unleashed them, they avenged their dreadnought friend. Oh and their massacre move let them contest an objective. They have proven to me that they can do the job I intended them for.

Oh yeah and the drop pod managed a kill. ;D

So in the end objectives were tied 2-2 and VPs resulted in a close draw. However I am confident that had we been able to play the game to it's completion things would have ended more in my favour. I had very good position on the field at the end of the game while most of his mobs (other than his tankbustas) were below 50% (the ones that were above it were just in the right positions)

I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote