Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Trying to come up with a Mech list...
Old 27 Feb 2007, 00:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Trying to come up with a Mech list...

I've been trying to come up with a mech list, but I have no clue what a SM Mech list looks like!! I'm way to used to Eldar seeing that I've only played 3 games with space marines....

Autarch Uthlanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2007, 14:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Trying to come up with a Mech list...

A mech list is exactly what it sounds like. Every unit that can have a transport has one. Or else it is a vehicle unto itself.

An example would be:

Master w/ 5 man command squad, attached libbie mounted in a rhino.

2 6man squads mounted in a razorback

Land speeder tornado

Predator Destructor.

Very simple list, cost effecient, could easily be taken to about 1000 pts with proper wargear.
Old 27 Feb 2007, 15:16   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autarch Uthlanar
I've been trying to come up with a mech list, but I have no clue what a SM Mech list looks like!! I'm way to used to Eldar seeing that I've only played 3 games with space marines....
Heya,

That greatly depends on what kind of mechanized you want. In some ways, a Drop Pod is Mechanized. Or perhaps you mean a Rhino-transport oriented mechanized. Or perhaps you just mean all-armor-values-where-possible mechanized, which would be focusing more on scoring mechanized models, and less on transports--though some included to move marines.

Here's an example of something that is mechanized in various ways, beneficial to the unit's needs on the board:

HQ1
Libby & Commandsquad | Drop Pod
Elite1
Ven Dreadnought
Troop1
Tacs | Drop Pod
Troop2
Tacs | Drop Pod
Fast1
LandSpeeder
Fast2
LandSpeeder
Fast3
LandSpeeder
Heavy1
Predator
Heavy2
Predator
Heavy3
Vindicator

~ Not even 1500 points yet; still room for more Dreads for example, or more Speeders.

That's just an example of layout. The point being to get scoring units, and put marines where they're needed without the expensive or coffin-nature of the rhino.

Alternatively, a mech list could be all drop pods. I don't need to show an example for that though. Just take Cleanse & Purify and tacs, and put 'em in Drop pods.

Altneratively you could make a mechanized list of just dreadnoughts and lanspeeders. Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients can give you a load of up to 6 venerable dreadnoughts, and still up to 9 landspeeders. You can even put a few in drop pods to give you some flexibility. Throw in two tac squads for support (they can be in rhinos, drop pods, etc) and you're set.

Or you could make a Marine based list riding in Rhinos. This works, but it requires a lot of Rhinos to be effective, since they explode so fast, and their cost does wrack up non-scoring points very fast. 4 Rhinos for example is already 200 points of non-scoring badness that are going to blow up and not neccessarily get their marines where they need to be. To the contrary, 4 DropPods would be 120 points, and they would 99% put your marines where you need to be every time, safely.

Anyhow - what kind of Mechanized list are you thinking about?

Cheers!
Old 27 Feb 2007, 23:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, I have an eldar one, so I'm definetly tired of speedy speed, maybe one with things like medium, not heavy like IG, more like SM, and tons of firepower and drop pods, they always sound cool.

Autarch Uthlanar is offline   Reply With Quote