Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 Implaccable Advanced
Old 26 Feb 2007, 00:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 1500 Implaccable Advanced

Upon reading the wonderful tactica by Vash113, I decided to try and make a list according to the strategy I liked best...

Quote:
-Implacable Advance

ďAs our bodies are armoured with adamantium, our souls are protected with loyalty. As our bolters are charged with death for the Emperorís enemies, our thoughts are charged with wisdom. As our ranks advance, so does our devotion, for are we not Space Marines? Are we not the chosen of the Emperor, his loyal servants unto death?Ē
-Chaplain Fergas Nils, Codex: Space Marines page 31.

The Implacable Advance is one part offense, one part defense and one part psychological. Units such as Terminators, full strength Tactical Squads and Bikes advancing forward, sending sheets of fire into the enemy and shrugging off whatever damage they take to draw the enemies firepower while faster units such as Assault Squads, Land Speeders and perhaps Bikes rush into the enemy from other angles and directions while their attention is fixed on the tough units approaching them. Killing a single squad of 10 Marines is not so hard, killing 30 or 40 marching relentlessly across the field with leadership 10 and centered with a squad of Terminators, sending out sheets of storm bolter and assault cannon fire is far harder to kill. This wall of power armor can be troublesome for many armies to deal with and is just a cover for the faster units that slip towards the enemy while their attention is fixed on the huge sea of Marines advancing on them.

The Implacable Advance is not the most complex of tactics but it can be psychologically effective, and is particularly strong in larger games where one has the points to throw down a large number of power armored bodies. This tactic works best when upgrades are kept to a minimum and a Master is used to give the army leadership 10 or a chaplain to make the primary unit centering the line fearless.

Tactical squads and Terminator squads are best for the role of the center advance, taking the attention of the enemy and absorbing damage either through sheer numbers, their armor or both. Assault Squads, Land Speeders and Bike Squadrons make up the secondary assault which approaches the enemy using cover to remain out of LOS as much as possible and making use of the primary advance to keep the enemies attention busy. Once these secondary elements hit the enemy they can take the attention and keep them locked while the primary advance finishes covering the distance to the enemy and smashes into them.
Anyway, here is my list:

Master
Terminator Armor
Storm Bolter
Master Crafted power weapon
135 points

Terminator squad
6 marines
assault cannon
260 points

Tactical squad 1, 2+3
10 marines
Veteran Sargent
power fist
2 plasma guns
205 points each

Bike squad
5 bikes
2 plasma guns
Attack bike
Heavy bolter
230 points

Assault Squad

10 marines
Veteran Sargent
Power fist
2 Plasma pistols
260 points

1500 points total

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Terminatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2007, 21:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: 1500 Implaccable Advanced

I am glad you liked my Tactica. The List looks quite good, not too many upgrades, a nice core of troops, with fast supporting elements and a strong center. I count 30 Tactical Marines, 10 Assault Marines, 6 Bikes, and 7 Terminators is a nice selection of troops. The only problem I can see is the lack of anti armor. I would suggest dropping a Terminator and possibly the Master Crafting on the Power Weapon to upgrade the Heavy Bolter on the Attack Bike to a Multi Melta and switch the Plasma Guns on the bikes to two Melta Guns. Another Assault Cannon in the Terminator Squad wouldn't hurt. I know only one comes with the Terminator squad but the new Dark Angels sprues have 2 Assault Cannons but their squads can only have one, so maybe soon you can get an extra one from a Dark Angel player for not too much.

So changing the Bikes to have Melta Guns and a Multi Melta and adding another Assault Cannon should be able to deal wih most of the Armor you will encounter. If that proves a problem you could drop the bikes down in size and add a Las/plas squad.

Its nice to see my Tactics are useful. Good luck in your battles!

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2007, 22:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

ok, here's my revised list

Master

Terminator Armor
Storm Bolter
135 points

Terminator squad

6 marines
2 assault cannons
280 points

Tactical squad 1, 2+3
10 marines
Veteran Sargent
power fist
2 plasma guns
205 points each

Bike squad
4 bikes
2 meltaguns
Attack bike
213 points

Assault Squad

9 marines
Veteran Sargent
Power fist
2 Plasma pistols
Melta bombs
257 points

1500 points total

Anything else? it's one less bike and one less Assault marine but it's got a lot more anti-tank power...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 26 Feb 2007, 23:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Looks good. Most people don't go with odd numbered squads but dropping a man from the assault squad isn't that bad and when you bump the points up, if you do, than you can round it out to 10 men again.

Have fun fighting the enemies of the Emperor!

Old 27 Feb 2007, 00:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: 1500+2000 Implaccable Advanced

Master
Terminator Armor
Storm Bolter
Melta Bombs
Frag grenades
141 points

Terminator squad
10 marines
2 assault cannons
440 points

Tactical squad 1, 2, 3+4
10 marines
Veteran Sargent
power fist
2 plasma guns
205 points each

Bike squad
5 bikes
2 meltaguns
Veteran Sargent
Combi-melta
Attack bike/Multi-melta
270 points

Assault Squad

10 marines
Veteran Sargent
Power fist
2 Plasma pistols
Melta bombs
281 points

1952 points

I can't think of anything else to spend those last 48 points on... any suggestions?

Quote:
Old 27 Feb 2007, 00:42   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

You don't have to follow all of my suggestions you know?

As for the last 48pts, split the Terminators into two squads of 5 and buy them 2 more assault cannons which leaves just 8pts.

The Master can't have frags with Terminator armor I think but I'm not sure. Without them it leaves 9 pts, for 10pts you can buy the sergeant of the Assault Squad a Plasma Pistol so if you aren't too worried about going over one point.

Old 27 Feb 2007, 01:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Works for me, I was thinking of splitting up the Terminators but I wasn't sure how to go about it... I don't like the idea of putting a plasma pistol on an invaluable part of the squad, so I think I'll just stick the 9 points under, but splitting up the terminator squad is a good idea, more dakka poured into different targets ;D

Quote:
Old 27 Feb 2007, 02:58   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm glad you like my advice. Good luck in your games and most importantly have fun!

Old 27 Feb 2007, 03:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Since you have the extra points, might as well spring for bionics for your master and maybe an auspex or two somewhere. Little bits and bobs are very secondary, but since there's nothing else to spend it on, might as well.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote