Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000 Points Fast Space Wolves
Old 19 Feb 2007, 02:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default 2000 Points Fast Space Wolves

This is my first Space Wolves list. I wanted something different that I’ve seen a lot of on the forums. I wanted to stay away from Long Fangs, Tanks, and Land Speeders. The fluff I’m writing right now for the army is based on Norse Mythology and the Company is called Rime Wolves. Basically I wanted this company to recruit their wolves from a nomadic tribe of the same name.

2000 Points of Rime Wolves

HQs

Venerable Dreadnought (Beowulf) – Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers, Drop Pod – 203

Wolf Priest (Odin) – Bike, Frost Axe, Fang of Morkai, Healing Balms, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace – 193
(Joining Blood Claw Bikes.)

Rune Priest (Tyr) – Bike, Rune Weapon, Chooser of the Slain, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace – 179

Elites

6 Wolf Scouts (OBEL pack) 2 Plasma Pistols, 1 Meltagun, 2 Power Weapons, and Meltabombs for all – 158

Troops

10 Grey Hunters – 2 Power Fists, Bolters for all, Drop Pod – 240

10 Grey Hunters – 2 Power Fists, Bolters for all, Drop Pod – 240

10 Blood Claws – 2 Power Fists, Bolt Pistols, Drop Pod – 194

Fast Attack

6 Blood Claw Bikes – 2 Power Fists, 1 Meltagun, CCW for rest – 212

3 Attack Bikes – 2 Heavy Bolters, 1 Multimelta -165

Total – 1995

I’ve come from being bugs to being wolfs. One thing I do like is bikes. I love to models, and I love the rules for them. With this list, I wanted to go with something to reach the enemy fast. That’s why I wanted to either Drop stuff in or move fast. Drop pods and Bikes allow me to move as fast as possible. The only problem is Drop Pods seem random, but I have pretty good luck with them.

I figure with the Rune and Wolf Priests attached to the Blood Claws on Bikes, it will make them either live longer, or be in cover, due to the Rune and Wolf priest only gear.

What are your thoughts on this list? For fluff reasons, the fluff I’m currently working on, I wanted to have no heavy support. This means tanks. And Long Fangs aren’t that fast. I believe that with the bikes and scouts, I should be able to handle enemy tanks. If I should go more troops, I can subtract a bike from each pack, and the scouts to add another Blood Claws pack. However, I believe the scouts are a must.

My HQs seem like they would be good. I’m not too sure on the Rune Weapon for the Rune Priest. I think it would make him and his pack a nice character hunting pack.

I haven’t played yet with the whole army; I’ve been getting the basics like Venerable Dreadnought, and troops before the bikes. I still have to build to drop pods, as I’m too cheap for Forge World Pods.

Anyway, what are your comments? Did I do well for my first list? Should this list be able to handle Tau and Eldar? Another one of my opponents are Ultra Space Marines, but I think those should be okay. And, does anyone else have a list like this? Thanks for your time reading all of this, and praise Russ.
EricBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2007, 11:52   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: 2000 Points Fast Space Wolves

With the blood Claws I think a Rhino would be more useful than a Drop Pod as drop pods are one use only, whereas a Rhino means your Blood Claws can zoom around, and people tend not to target Rhinos.

Your list should do alright against infantry, but if you face someone who uses a lot of tanks, you don't have much to deal with them. The tank hunter weapons I can see working are the assualt cannon on the Venerable Dread and the Multimelta on the landspeeder. The others will be destroyed before getting in range. A Vindicator comes along, and boom there goes a sizeable chunk of your army. Happend to me, I lost a whole squad of Grey Hunters first turn. :'(
Old 19 Feb 2007, 14:09   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

2000 Points of Rime Wolves (Revised)

HQ

Venerable Dreadnought (Beowulf) – Assault Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers, Drop Pod – 203

Wolf Priest (Odin) – Bike, Frost Axe, Fang of Morkai, Healing Balms, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace – 193

Rune Priest (Tyr) – Bike, Frost Blade, Chooser of the Slain, Wolf Pelt, Wolf Tooth Necklace – 159
Took Rune Weapon off, and added Frost Blade.

Elites

5 Wolf Scouts (OBEL pack) 2 Plasma Pistols, 2 Power weapons and 1 Meltagun– 120

Troops

10 Grey Hunters – 2 Power Fists, 1 Meltagun, 2 Plasma Pistols, Bolters for rest, Drop Pod – 270

10 Grey Hunters – 2 Power Fists, 1 Meltagun, 2 Plasma Pistols, Bolters for rest, Drop Pod – 270

10 Blood Claws – 2 Power Fists, Bolt Pistols, Drop Pod – 194

Fast Attack

3 Attack Bikes – 2 Heavy Bolters, 1 Multimelta -165

Total – 1998

With the added Meltaguns and Plasma Pistols in the Grey Hunters, I think I have some good tank hunters now.

EricBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2007, 04:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Looks decent, the only thing is blood claws NEED to get the charge. A drop pod isn't bad but I personally think that blood claws be taken one of two ways. One, footslogging in a big huge pack or two, riding in a land raider. Over all your list looks pretty good to me.

War is great! Well, except for that dying part ...
BeserkWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2007, 19:05   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Enough anti tank now. So go in, blow up the tanks and hack the infantry to pieces, but the Blood Claws do need the charge, they have a rubbish WS for SM, and BS, and 2 attacks ain't very useful with a bad WS.
For Russ!

And now back to my History Essay. :'(