Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000 Point SAFH Crusade List - 6 Devastator Squads
Closed Thread
Old 20 Jan 2007, 17:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default 2000 Point SAFH Crusade List - 6 Devastator Squads

After playing really aggressive mobile armies for a while, I thought it might be fun to get back to my roots and try out a static shooty marine army. I've had a lot of color and conversion ideas build up, so it's going to be a crusade army, meaning that each squad will be painted in different chapter colors, with a common crusade shoulder-badge. Rules-wise, however, it will just be a standard marine army with traits.

I wanted an army that could throw out a tremendous amount of firepower at long-range, and I've wanted to put a lot of heavy bolters in a list for a long time, so I'm really excited about throwing 24 heavy bolters down on the table. That's 72 shots a turn! The army is also enormous, with 85 marines, which should present a huge problem for most of my opponants, most of whom are simply not going to have enough firepower to make any real dent in my swarm in only six turns of shooting. The Elite Devastators have infiltrate, not because I plan to use it often, but because you have to give them either infiltrate or tanks hunters, and infiltrate seemed slightly more useful to me in quarters-type missions, but I'm perfectly willing to change it to tank hunters if you guys think it will work better.

This army is designed for basic league-night throw downs, so the idea is to worry about objectives only after inflicting huge casualties on my opponant. I've been playing Shooty Imperial Guard for a while now, so this army really functions on a similar principal, which is not to advance until you start running out of targets.

The HQ choice is there to give all the units leadership 10. I gave him some mobility to be somewhat effective as a counter-charge unit, but mainly he's included because I have to take an HQ choice. If it was up to me I wouldn't have taken an HQ choice at all, but at least this way he's doing something on the field.

Like I said, I've been playing guard for a while now, so I've got a lot of practice in preventing assaulters from consolidating into new units, and general picket-line defense tactics. One of the things I like about this list is that it will force most oppoants to come to me, since at long range this army can outshoot 99% of the armies out there.

This army also rules in escalation situations.

(2000 Points) Uses Traits for Codex: Space Marines Model Count: 85

Traits: Honor Your Wargear, Die Standing

Headquarters:
Space Marine Master with Iron Halo, Jump Pack, Pair of Lightning Claws, Frag Grenades, Auspex, and Meltabombs. (158 Points)

Elites:
Space Marine Devastator Squad with 8 Space Marine Devastators (204 Points)
All Have Infiltrate. 4 have Boltguns, and 4 have Heavy Bolters.
Elites:
Elites:

Troops:
Space Marine Tactical Squad with 6 Space Marines (115 Points)
4 have Boltgun, 1 has Lascannon, and 1 has Plasma Gun.
Troops:
Troops:
Troops:
Troops:
Troops:

Heavy Support:
Space Marine Devastator Squad with 8 Space Marine Devastators (180 Points)
4 have Boltguns, and 4 have Heavy Bolters.
Heavy Support:
Heavy Support:
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 20 Jan 2007, 21:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 2000 Point SAFH Crusade List - 6 Devastator Squads

Hey there, DT. Glad you've finally put up a list for me to critique.

HQ
Honestly, what's your master gonna do? He's not going to be able to bring the fight to the enemy, and as a counter-charge unit he's fairly useless against the really big stuff. But overall, he's built well, it's just that I'm not sure what niche he fills in your army.
Elite & Heavy Support
Sweet swear words, that's a lot of heavy bolters! It'll absolutely shred an entire horde very quickly. I'm surprised that none of the units are anti-tank, though. Tank hunters is a bit of a waste for heavy bolters, since you'll get a lot more use out of Infiltration.
Troops
Ah, the las/plas squads. Very reliable, and you've got a lot. However, ask yourself, are 6 lascannons enough to tackle tank-heavy lists? The rest of your army is useless against AV12, and if you find yourself against one of those lists expect to take a heavy beating.

Personally, I'd swap out one of your Elite Devs' HB's for missile launchrs, taking the points from the Commander's wargear.

That being said, this list is absolutely brutal and one of the better-built lists I've seen in a long time. It's to the point where I'm thinking of copying off of you a bit. I expect you to win most of your games with this, if you use it right, and it sounds like you know how.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 22 Jan 2007, 00:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 2000 Point SAFH Crusade List - 6 Devastator Squads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abael
Hey there, DT. Glad you've finally put up a list for me to critique.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Quote:
HQ
Honestly, what's your master gonna do? He's not going to be able to bring the fight to the enemy, and as a counter-charge unit he's fairly useless against the really big stuff. But overall, he's built well, it's just that I'm not sure what niche he fills in your army.
Yeah, he's not great. I always design the HQ choice last, so basically I tried to come up with the best HQ choice I could with the 158 points I had left. His main purpose is to make the army Ld10. Any fighting he does is just gravy, but I'm open to alternate configs for him, so long as he remains a master.

Quote:
Ah, the las/plas squads. Very reliable, and you've got a lot. However, ask yourself, are 6 lascannons enough to tackle tank-heavy lists?
I need to playtest it, but I figured 6 lascannons would be enough to deal with most armies. There are some mechanized lists that should give me a lot of trouble, but those are pretty rare where I play.

Quote:
That being said, this list is absolutely brutal and one of the better-built lists I've seen in a long time. It's to the point where I'm thinking of copying off of you a bit. I expect you to win most of your games with this, if you use it right, and it sounds like you know how.
Thanks.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Closed Thread