Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Preliminary 1500pt list. Still some decisions to make
Closed Thread
Old 11 Dec 2006, 19:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Preliminary 1500pt list. Still some decisions to make

OK. This is a very preliminary version of what I may do for my Stonecutters army. Hopefully I still know what I'm doing with marine lists instead of being way off the mark and designing something that just falls flat on it's face. Anyway, time to bite the bullet and post something

Traits: Trust your Battle Brothers and Cleanse and Purify.

Notes: The first is to reflect the sense of brotherhood within the stonecutters and the second just seems right somehow, I can explain more when I post the fluff I've done up so far. I could also field them with See but don't be Seen to represent an infiltrating force, but that's for another time

Drawbacks: Eye to Eye and Faithful unto Death.

Notes: Eye to Eye is there as it's the trait that makes the most sense out of the Major Drawbacks. The Stonecutters would certainly like to have relics around and I don't see any real reason for them to hate tanks. Faithful unto death is kinda a complicated one. The fluff I've written so far gives them an organization kinda like the Deathwing where all vet sarges and whatnot are actually from the 1st company. So elite stuff would be stretched pretty thin throughout the chapter due to a good number of the 1st company having been assigned as unit/company leaders. Also I believe that the central element of the army should be the true grit squads and thus the chapter would place a large amount of confidence in their all-round capabilities. Thus specialized Fast and Heavy stuff is restricted

Anyway, sorry that I rambled on about my traits, but I feel that traits should have some kinda fluffy justification and explanation behind them

[size=14pt]Army Name: Stonecutters 3rd Company [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

[HQ]

HQ 1: Reclusiarch: 122pts
- Bolt Pistol, Crozius, Jump Pack, Terminator Honours, Frag grenades

The plan for this guy is for him to tag along with the assault squad and act in support of the true grit units. Not really the man to bring down daemon princes, but he might be able to finish one off if it's already been wounded. A good combination of killing power, resilience and speed all for a reasonable price. I took a 2-wounder as I see them as more fluffy. I mean, really, is the high ranking chaplain or chapter master going to turn up for every little border skirmish?

[hr]

[ELITES]

Elite 1: Dreadnought: 105pts
- Assault Cannon

Honestly, I'm not too thrilled about a single stock dreadnought. It'll probably be one of the first things that gets dropped during list revisions as it's a moderately armoued vehicle in a non-vehicular force. I don't like it's chances of surviving the hail of "nothing better to shoot at" lascannons. However it does have a good gun, doesnt cost too much and fills up the last 105pts nicely

[hr]

[TROOPS]

Troops 1: 8 Tactical Marines: 229pts
- True Grit skill, Bolters+CCWs, Plasma Gun, Melta Gun, Vet Sargeant with Bolter+Power Fist. Mounted in Drop Pod

Troops 2: 8 Tactical Marines: 229pts
- True Grit skill, Bolters+CCWs, Plasma Gun, Melta Gun, Vet Sargeant with Bolter+Power Fist. Mounted in Drop Pod

Troops 3: 8 Tactical Marines: 229pts

Troops 4: 5 tactical marines: 100pts
- Lascannon, Plasma Gun

Troops 5: 5 tactical marines: 100pts
- Lascannon, Plasma Gun

The plan for the drop podders is to try and land on a nice piece of terrain, rapid fire or melta something to death and then dare the enemy to try and shift them. Counter-attack with the assault marines against tough enemies and hopefully don't get butchered horribly! Of and the plasma/melta configuartion gives them the capability of dealing with pretty much ANYTHING. I might switch for 2 double plasma units and 1 dedicated tank killer, but the pts are the same so swapping will be easy

The Las/Plas units are sort of a necessary evil. The army needs some long ranged tank/ MC killers and these couple units are probably the ones for the job. I normally don't like such min/maxed units, but I think they're just something I may have to accept.

[hr]

[FAST ATTACK]

Fast Attack 1: 8 Assault Marines: 206pts
- Veteran Sargeant with Power Fist

Combined with the chaplain, will counter attack where the enemy looks like it may break the true grit units' position. Basically they're "The Cavalry" so to speak that fly in to turn the tide of the toughest battles.

[hr]

[HEAVY SUPPORT]

Heavy Support 1: 8 Devastators: 180pts
- 4 heavy bolters.

YEEEEEEHAWWW! Shred me up some gaunts boys! I've fallen in love with the quad heavy bolter unit. I guess the ork in me loves the dakka

[hr]

[size=14pt]Army Total:1500pts on the nose [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

Overall the plan is to drop pod into a good position to fire on the enemy while hopefully gaining the advantage of cover (true grit+counter attack+I10=Merry Christmas!). The Devs and Las/Plas squads provide fire support while the assault squad counter-attacks against any part of the line where it looks like the enemy may break through. The Dreadnought will probably just advance and try to help out on both fronts.

I'm not reall too sure about the dread actually. Part of me wonders if it would be better to drop it and use the pts somewhere else, but for now it's in the list and they're nice models

Pros
-Ability to take and hold objectives
-Nast amounts of close ranged firepower and decent assault ability
-Ability for main units to take down almost anything
-Looks like fun to use (none of this gunline Klkn!)
-Need to build drop pods

Cons
-Unreliability of drop pods leading to the possibility of the fire support units getting mobbed early on
-Dreadnought could get gunned down early due to being the only real target for lascannons and the like
-Need to build drop pods

Oh and don't ask about the number 8, I just like it for some reason...
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 11 Dec 2006, 19:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Preliminary 1500pt list. Still some decisions to make

Hey this looks great!

I really like it, and I think the combination of a gunline + drop pod true grit units is great!

Suggestions on how to improve it.

1 - give the pod squads the same weapons. Either two melta or two plasma each (i'd go for one squad with dual melta, and 2 with dual plasma)

2 - I hate to say it but I think the dreads gotta go. Sorry but right now he's just got target painted all over him, he just isn't going to last.
But that's ok we can do lots of stuff with his points, my favorite idea being this!

Drop the heavy bolter squad and dread and replace them with this:

6 Devestators w/ 3 heavy bolters

6 Devestators w/ 3 heavy bolters

That leaves you with 15 points extra. This could be used to either bump your chaplains wounds by 1, add an extra marine to one of the las plas squads OR (and this is the option I like best) put two plasma pistols in the assault squad and give your chaplain melta bombs!

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 11 Dec 2006, 21:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I really don't see th point of the min/maxing squads... what are you going to do with the heavy weapon if you move? What are you going to do with the special weapon if you don't move? I'd say drop the dread and at least one las/plas squad to make a devastator squad for the same purpose...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 13 Dec 2006, 01:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, it's simple Terminatus___min-ed LasPlas have Plasmaguns so to pack an extra relatively high-Str/range gun to help get rid of those pesky skimmers and Termies, supporting the Lascannon and with the flexibility of being able to be shot on the move if the circumstances demand it. They're used as a pair because they work well together.
Closed Thread