Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tech Army
Closed Thread
Old 04 Dec 2006, 07:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tech Army

Hey Dudes, I'm quite new to the Hobby and I'm collecting Eldar (what a surprise :) as we speak, but I'm allready planning my next army* :-\

I've just read through the Space Marines Erreta and have found that I can feild an Army with 6 dreds. What I'm planning is to do a Skitari (sp?) type army and have come up with this

Chaplin as a Leader, converted from a Tech Marine Model.

3 Venrable Dreads for Elites

Scouts for troops

3 Dreads for Heavy

Just wondering if you guys have any thoughts or tips about this!
Old 04 Dec 2006, 14:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default Re: Tech Army

Berfore you go planning a list, I suggest you get the Space Marine codex or have a flip through one. There are two reasons I say this.

1.) There is a trait that let's you take tehcmarines as HQs.
2.) Dreadnaughts are Elites.

Once you have read/bought the codex then it might be an idea to making a list and we can help fine tune it with you.
Old 04 Dec 2006, 14:49   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
2.) Dreadnaughts are Elites.
However with a trait, Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients I think, it is possible to take 6 Dreadnaughts, 3 as Elite and 3 as Heavy Support, as long as the 3 Elites are venerable.

This isn't a bad choice of army as it makes you very difficult to harm, small-arms fire becomes virtually useless and with, say 2/3 Techmarines you can repair most damage to your Dreads quite easily.

However, bear in mind the fact that lascannons and similar heavy weapons, as well as certain combat squads, will make short work of this army.

As a result I would recommend some Terminators as a back-up and a devastator squad to deal as much damage to said combat squads as is physically possible.

As Spirit said, take a look through the Marine codex, work this list out and post it, then we can help you make any necessary adjustments to improve it.
Oh come on, just because I'm carrying around the joy of killing your family, doesn't mean we still can't be friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara Thrace
Ah, I'm minnie, meaning I'm sexy, badass, and will happily shoot you in the back.

Damn, I hope I don't get quoted calling myself sexy. :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.
Old 04 Dec 2006, 15:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think this is a GREAT theme for an army.

A couple suggestions that other people have touched on already, and that I will elaborate on.

1 - There's a trait that lets you take Techmarines as a (very badass) HQ choice. I would suggest taking a Techmarine to lead your army, if not 1 then 2 of them.

2 - Depending on the army size if you want a 2nd HQ and you only want 1 techmarine then take a Chaplain and convert him to be a "Techpriest" have him leading a squad of "Praetorian combat servitors" To represent these you could have a chaplain in terminator armour leading a squad of terminators.

3 - Scouts will make good stand in for Skittari, medium armour, tough, strong and skilled with good weapons. I would avoid taking sniper rifles on them though, keep them more focused as guys with machine guns or pistols.

4 - Again, I don't know how big you want this army to be but since you'll have all your Elite and Heavy slots filled that doesn't leave you with much else. To add more armour to your list you could do a few things:
a) give the praetorian bodyguard a land raider transport
b) take a couple of "heavy skittari squads" (tac marines) and mount them in Razorbacks
c) Land speeders! Take a couple squads of these bad boys to give your army some much needed mobility.

5 - If you still have some points left a few bikes couldn't hurt. If you don't want a slow moving techmarine a kitted out one on bike can be very very nasty. Very nasty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 04 Dec 2006, 16:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Tech is a great theme for a space marine army, I would suggest using the traits listed for the Iron Hands space marines. Skitarii are a bit odd to make from space marines without heavy converting and the Imperial Guard codex works generally better for doing a Skitarii legion. So I would suggest doing a Space Marine chapter dedicated to the Machine God and closely tied to Mars. Thus the Iron Hands traits which are:

Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients, Scions of Mars and the drawback Eye to Eye.

For the army I would suggest a Techmarine or two as HQs with full servo harness, you can leave him as an IC to follow the dreads safe from enemy fire or you can give the guy some servitors. 6 Dreads are great, I would suggest leaving all with swapable weapons. This is easy since the weapon arms sit nice and snug on the torso peg without any glue. For troops I would suggest two, or more, tactical squads with vet sergeants with bionics and for speed I would suggest a Land Speeder squadron and a squad of assault marines. Rhinos for the tac squads couldn't hurt either to get even more armor on the field to soak up your opponents anti tank and keep the dreads alive longer.

Anyway tech oriented marines is a cool way to go, too bad people dont do it more often.

Old 04 Dec 2006, 16:44   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well when I was looking at the different armies when I was starting, there wasn't much that drew me towards Space marines apart from the Scouts and Dreads! I then saw the Tech Marines model which I think is exceptionally Kick Ass! The thing is, I couldn't bring myself to paint and/or collect an army of models that I'm not that keen on, so want to try making an army of the ones I do.

If you check the Erreta on the GW site, it says that 'Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients' lets you take Dreads as both Elites and Heavy Support though the Elites have to be venrable! In the end it will probablly be feilded at 2000pts with squads left out depending on the opponant!

Lascannons raging through my army is expected, but every option has certain risks attached to it. Just seeing an opponants face when he's facing 6 Dreads and is totally unpreared for it is very compelling though. Much like a Tyranid Monstrous Creature list.
Old 04 Dec 2006, 17:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

When you first posted this you only mentioned that there was a way to take six dreadnaughts. Since your list didn't mention any traits I assumed you where thinking from the basic list, not with the use of traits. As it is the list you described really wouldn't need the trait Wisdom of the Ancients. You can still get your three Dreadnaughts with just the basic list, they would be Elites, not Heavy support. Since you where also talking about using a Chaplain as a techmarine HQ, I again assumed you weren't thinking with traits for the list there.

I should mention I think it's a great idea for an army, but you should still at least take a look through the codex itself or purchase it for your own reference before working out lists. At the least you have it as a reference for others and you'd be able to see what traits/flaws work for your army. Vash113 gave a pretty good combination though it limits your fast attack options.

Old 04 Dec 2006, 19:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritbw
When you first posted this you only mentioned that there was a way to take six dreadnaughts. Since your list didn't mention any traits I assumed you where thinking from the basic list, not with the use of traits. As it is the list you described really wouldn't need the trait Wisdom of the Ancients. You can still get your three Dreadnaughts with just the basic list, they would be Elites, not Heavy support. Since you where also talking about using a Chaplain as a techmarine HQ, I again assumed you weren't thinking with traits for the list there.
He wants to take six Dreadnoughts, bud...not three. 'Heed the Wisdom of the Ancients' is the only way to do this with a normal force organisation chart.

I agree with Vash (as usual) regarding the trait advantages. If you're really adamant about taking six Dreadnoughts then 'Scions of Mars' as your second trait is not only fluffy, but necessary if you want to field any Techmarines to back them up. If you fill up your Elites slots with Dreadnoughts, then that only leaves HQ for your Techmarines (and you need 'Scions of Mars' to take them as such). Fortunately, you can take both of these advantages with the 'Wise' trait which means only having to take a major drawback, rather than a minor one also. But which one? 'Aspire to glory' is obviously not an option so that leaves you with either 'Eye to eye' or 'Flesh over Steel'. Needless to say, 'Eye to eye' will hamper your Fast Attack selections, which I gather is something you'll want to avoid with this list (as it is generally pretty ponderous otherwise). 'Flesh over Steel' will probably be your best bet; your whole army will basically consist of armoured fire support to a fashion, so you won't really be losing anything with this option. However, it will limit your transport options. Depending upon your understanding of the associated rules, this may also include Drop Pods which may be a problem if you had hoped to deploy your Dreadnoughts in such a manner.

How about weapons then? What do people think a Dreadnought army would benefit most from? I believe Assault Cannons all round and a mix a close combat Dreadnoughts and Fire Support Dreadnoughts armed with DCCWs and Missile Launchers respectively is the best choice, but that's bloody boring. What weapons would complement one another if the Dreadnoughts were to operate in pairs? Perhaps we should also consider Forge World weapons, or else this army could be a little dull.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 04 Dec 2006, 19:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well from a purely "effective" point of view I'd think that you'd want all three heavy dreads to have Twin-las and missiles, and the Ven dreads to have AC and powerfist.

Were I to do it the list would look like this:

Techmarine w/ extra wound, servo harness, frag grenades, jump pack, terminator honours

Reclusiarch Chaplain w/ terminator armour, storm bolter
4 Terminators w/ storm bolters, power fists, 2 with assault cannons

8 Scouts w/ bolters, heavy bolter

8 Scouts w/ bolters, heavy bolter

Venerable dreadnought, assault cannon, dreadnought close combat weapon, extra armour,

Venerable dreadnought, assault cannon, dreadnought close combat weapon, extra armour, smoke launchers

Venerable dreadnought, assault cannon, dreadnought close combat weapon, extra armour, smoke launchers

Dreadnought w/ twin-linked lascannon, missile launcher, extra armour

Total points: 1501

Quite a min/maxed list but could definitely be fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 04 Dec 2006, 20:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
...Quite a min/maxed list but could definitely be fun!
I think the fun to be had with this kind of army is the modelling opportnities, you could make some really great Dreadnoughts. But unless you're the Patron saint of sculpting and plasticard, you're gonna get real familiar with Forge World.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Closed Thread