Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

2000 point Black Templar The "Ground Pounders"
Closed Thread
Old 27 Nov 2006, 23:38   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190
Default 2000 point Black Templar The "Ground Pounders"

Basically, a guy was giving me Klkn at the game shop the other day for putting my Crusader in almost everyone of my lists since I got it, saying that I bought three full armies off of e-bay(which I did, for less than $500) and that I could put a ton of marines on the table.

HQ
Emperor's Champion - Accept any Challenge, No Matter the Odds - 140

Helbrecht - 175

Master of Sanctity - Terminator Armor, Storm Bolter, Termy command squad w/ an assult cannon - 320

ELITE
Techmarine - bike, teleport beacon - 100

TROOP
2-10 man Crusader squads in Drop pods - power fists and meltas - 430

20 man Crusader squad - power fist and melta, frags, cc - 315

15 man Crusader squad - power fist and melta - 2 shotgun, 3 cc - 240

5 man Crusader squads - las/plas - 101

FAST ATTACK
5 man bike squad - 3 power weapons - 190

1996 points in all, any suggestions, criticism?

EDIT: Techmarine, bike squad, las/plas
Old 28 Nov 2006, 00:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to titankiller
Default Re: 2000 point Black Templar The "Ground Pounders"

First off: *jaw drops to floor* That&#39;s a lot of Templars!

Now for analysis.

I like the EC, my favorite vow. As for Helbrecht, I&#39;ve never used him, but he looks pretty good. I&#39;ll abstain from commenting on him. I think you&#39;re slightly off on the chappy squad (320, by my calculations). However, I&#39;d say that they&#39;re pretty well rounded. I&#39;ve never played with a techie before, but he looks pretty good. However, I&#39;m concerned about him having the homer, seeing as how he&#39;s most likely gonna be at the back, which isn&#39;t exactly where you want your chappy showing up. I like the las/plas squads. As for the big squads... Well, if you don&#39;t shoot them to death first, you&#39;ll probably end up crushing them with sheer weight of bodies alone. :P Its not army I would play (both due to my prefrences/style, and distinct lack of models to do this), but it looks like it could be fun to use.

I say go for it. NO PITY! NO REMORSE! NO FEAR!
Old 28 Nov 2006, 00:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

The "Marine-Swarm" tactic has always been a feared tactic. And it has, more or less, been perfected by the Black Templars.
I fight a similar army with my friend, very often. And your list looks like a good start.
But I would say your HQ sucks up way too many points.
A Master of Sanctity in a squad of shooty terminators is kind of a waste.
Either drop him, or take a regular MoS in a large Crusader squad.
(And perhaps remove Helbrecht too.).
The Techmarine should perhaps be removed as well. He has no role.
Way too many points in four models. That&#39;s easy victory points for the opponent.
Dump him, and you can afford another 10-man strong Crusader squad. But personally I&#39;d take a Predator.
The rest of the troops looks spot on.
I hope this helps.

-Winter
Old 28 Nov 2006, 01:04   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I took a lot of these things with the models that I have available. Thus the Terminator command squad... shoot, that reminds me that I&#39;ve gotta get rid of one of the assault cannons... well, I have 20 free points now...
Old 28 Nov 2006, 01:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to titankiller

Still looks pretty good, but I&#39;m not too sure about the bike squadron. Seeing as how the bikers only get 1 attack apiece (if they aren&#39;t on the charge), the power weapons might not do a whole lot. But I&#39;d guess that you plan to send the techie with them, giving them a pretty decent boost. I still say give this army a go, it looks like it&#39;d be fun. Just the thought of seeing your opponent&#39;s face when you smile and say, "...and now I place even more marines..."

P.S. Whats Klkn mean? I&#39;ve seen a lot of people use it around here, but I can&#39;t remember what it means. &gt;.&lt;
Old 28 Nov 2006, 03:10   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I just did the math... and it comes out to 73 marines, including HQ&#39;s and IC&#39;s
Old 28 Nov 2006, 03:25   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer190
I just did the math... and it comes out to 73 marines, including HQ&#39;s and IC&#39;s
Sounds like my old Dark Angels army. 70 marines plus vehicles. ^^
Once, in a tournament battle, I outnumbered a pure Cadian guard player.
I&#39;ll never forget the look on his face.
Old 02 Dec 2006, 15:09   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Ok, I&#39;m too lazy to change the list so...

Got rid of the Techmarine, added 5 neophytes to my other large crusader squad, gave my bikers krak grenades, and gave the Chaplain a Holy Orb.
Old 04 Dec 2006, 21:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Brother, lazyness is a mortal sin in the Eyes of Our Most Beloved Emperor! Repent for your faults and put that list back onto the drawing board (more or less, since you&#39;re still on a good start___one&#39;s rarely wrong with this much Marines on the board....).

I agree entirely with King Winter and titankiller&#39;s assessments___you&#39;ve got too much HQs/ICs, the Chappy doesn&#39;t mesh well with a shooty squad and Bikers are rather so-so as a melee squad. Keep that 2nd Assault Cannon in the Termie squad!! It&#39;s what makes it really great!

I&#39;d up the LasPlas Cru squad to 6, so to make it a more resilient unit for scoring purposes. If you&#39;ve got enough spare points, you could add another such unit, as these units are nice, efficient antiarmor firesupport squads.
Closed Thread