Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Blood Ravens 1850 Points
Closed Thread
Old 27 Nov 2006, 23:16   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Blood Ravens 1850 Points

Well some of you may have seen this thread on all the marines I recently obtained. Well I decided to make two armies or more out of all of it. Currently those would be a Blood Raven and a Dark Angel force. But since I dont have the Dark Angel codex I decided to do the Blood Ravens first. I decided on a very fast army that is either infiltrating or moving very quickly. Here is what I came up with:

[size=15pt]Blood Ravens[/size]

HQ:
Librarian:
-Epistolary, Bolt Pistol, Iron halo, Frag Grenades, Terminator Honors, Might of Heroes, Jump Pack, familiar
Total: 187

Chaplain:
-Reclusiarch, Plasma Pistol, Terminator Honors, Frag Grenades, Jump Pack
Total: 141

Elites:
Dreadnaught:
-Venerable, AC, DCCW
Total: 125

Troops:
Tactical Squad 1: 10
-Sergeant w/ terminator honors & power weapon, melta gun, missil launcher, infiltrate, frags
Total: 235

Tactical Squad 2: 10
-Sergeant w/ terminator honors & power weapon, melta gun, missil launcher, infiltrate, frags

Scout Squad 1: 6
-Sergeant w/ terminator honors, bolters x5, heavy bolter
Total: 96

Scout Squad 2: 5
-close combat weapons and bolt pistols
Total: 65

Fast Attack:
Assault Squad: 7
-Sergeant w/ terminator honors & power fist, melta bombs
Total: 198

Land Speeder Squadron:
-Land Speeder Tornado (1)
Total: 80

Space Marine Bike Squadron:
-Sergeant w/ Terminator Honors & Power Weapon, Melta Guns x2, Attack Bike w/ Multi Melta
Total: 270

Heavy Support:
Devastator Squad: 8
-Sergeant w/ Terminator Honors, Heavy Bolter x2, Missil Launcher x2
Total: 205

Army Total: 1850pts exactly

I am pleased with how this list has turned out in all areas except one. This army has 8 scoring unit with 6 bikes and 39 marines, a Land Speeder, 9 scouts and a Dreadnaught. Not as many marines as I would have liked I must say. But it should be counterbalanced by speed and firepower. The bikes are far more pricey than I see as being useful Im not sure whether to keep them or get rid of them. More marines would deffinetly be a plus but Im not sure where to shave things down and add more, probably the bikes should go and another tactical squad should be added, perhaps Ill try selling some of the insane number of scouts I have and get more tac marines or more assault marines. 7 is an odd number but its what I have. I might drop one and add it too my Ultramarines squad making both 6 man squads.

So what do you think? Thumbs up, thumbs down? Comments are greatly appreciated.

In any case I have a hellfire config Dread, 3 Tactical squads of 8 men each with plasma gun and plasma cannon, a command squad with a DA Standard Bearer and apothecary and a Dev squad for the Dark Angels and probably 2 squads of Terminators. I might do 3 squads, one being a command squad. Very shooty, lots of big guns. Im also adding a command squad, Predator annihilator, whirlwind and rhino to my Ultramarines.

Here is another question, should I drop the Jump Pack on the Librarian and give him a command squad in a rhino or is he better off with the jump pack?

Old 29 Nov 2006, 10:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Blood Ravens 1850 Points

Okay, as you asked I'll go through each unit separately:

Quote:
HQ:
Librarian:
-Epistolary, Bolt Pistol, Iron halo, Frag Grenades, Terminator Honors, Might of Heroes, Jump Pack, familiar
Total: 187
I myself use Fear of Darkness, this way combined with the jump pack and IC status you will have an excellent untouchable harassment unit. I find the Iron Halo to be too expensive and thus I never use it. But if you have points to spare it might be a wise investment.

Quote:
Chaplain:
-Reclusiarch, Plasma Pistol, Terminator Honors, Frag Grenades, Jump Pack
Total: 141
Good and solid HQ unit that goes with the Assault squad. I only find the plasma pistol not worth it. Again too expensive and is better served for normal assault squad member who pay less points for it. I would go for a Bolt pistol.

Quote:
Elites:
Dreadnaught:
-Venerable, AC, DCCW
Total: 125
Good unit that could only use extra armour to help is survive some longer since you only have two armoured units I expect this one to face lots of enemy firepower.

Quote:
Troops:
Tactical Squad 1: 10
Solid squad, big enough to survive in assaults. Only, a heavy weapon in a squad geared towards assault?
I always give a squad a single combat role (shooting, assaulting, mobility or objective grabbing). I also favour Power fists above power weapon.
Quote:
Tactical Squad 2: 10
Same as above.

Quote:
Scout Squad 1: 6
-Sergeant w/ terminator honors, bolters x5, heavy bolter
Total: 96
This is a shooting squad so why the terminator honours? You don't want this squad to see CC because they are not likely to survive. I prefer normal space marines above scouts to do Bolter fire. A six man squad runs you at 105 points. But since this army is geared toward infiltration I can see a place for them in this army.

Quote:
Scout Squad 2: 5
-close combat weapons and bolt pistols
Total: 65
Always take even numbered squad sizes (6,8 or 10 men) for VP and survivablity. Also for squads geared towards CC I always take a minimum of 8 men. Or else they won't deal enough damage and they are not likely to survive long.

Quote:
Fast Attack:
Assault Squad: 7
-Sergeant w/ terminator honors & power fist, melta bombs
Total: 198
7 is an odd number, I prefer a squad of 8 men. The power fist should be sufficient against Armoured threats so i find little use for the Melta bombs.

Quote:
Land Speeder Squadron:
-Land Speeder Tornado (1)
Total: 80
Excellent unit. I am only worried about its survivability since you only have two armoured vehicles.
Quote:
Space Marine Bike Squadron:
-Sergeant w/ Terminator Honors & Power Weapon, Melta Guns x2, Attack Bike w/ Multi Melta
Total: 270
I never use bikes myself so I can't give you some good advice. But when I look at the cost...
Phew, I would trade it in for a Tactical squad in a Rhino any day.

Quote:
Heavy Support:
Devastator Squad: 8
-Sergeant w/ Terminator Honors, Heavy Bolter x2, Missil Launcher x2
Total: 205
Again, why the Terminator honours in a squad geared towards shooting? If this squad sees CC you most likely will have done something terribly wrong. Squad size is good, always take a Bolter marine for each heavy weapon.

Overall:

It's hard to work with the models you have. But you should keep in mind the general unit selection rules;

One squad - one combat role
Even numbered squad sizes
Small squad sizes for shooting roles
Bigger squad sizes for Assaulting roles and objective duties
No armoured units or a lot of armoured units

So, I hope this have given you some help on how to get the best layout for your units.
Old 04 Dec 2006, 23:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I agree with most of what Stam said___Hell, he's good now!

The problem with the Libby is that it is heavily geared to go into melee, yet will only reap a somewhat disappointing amount of kills. That's because, most of the time, the Force Weapon will only fare as good than a Power Weapon in most cases___while useful to carve up Eldar Scorpions or full-sized Sisters of Battle units, it shines much less Vs T4 foes, like Marines and Necrons. Wounding 50% of the time is rather ordinary.
It would make sense to pick up Lightning Claws instead, as these paired with Might of Heroes are very deadly. Another alternative would be to pick Veil of Time instead of Might, as rerolling all his dices on your turn is very potent, plus he'd keep his Force Weapon, allowing him to hunt down Monstrous Creatures. Or again, you could pick a relatively cheap Libby with a Bolt Pistol, Jump Pack, Frag Grenades. Fear of Darkness and Fury of the Ancients and do some harassment, just as Stam suggested.
Also, note that a Libby picking up a Familiar counts as having joined a unit, so he loses his untargetability privileges as an IC.

One last point, your Dev squad is using 2 types of big guns___while these will be mostly worthwhile against infantry, it's an altogether different matter if used Vs most vehicles, as the Hvy Bolter shots are wasted against medium and heavy armor vehicles. Having your Dev squad sporting weapons all of the same sort would ensure they'd be used with better results.
Old 05 Dec 2006, 21:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think taking a 10 man tactical squad is a bit unwieldy... also Powerfists are more multi-puropse than the power weapon, so you would be able to drop the meltagun... While the bikes are flashy, they are too expensive for being so fragile, I would personally use the Librarian as support rather than direct unaccompanied assault, put him with a command squad if you like but do't do flying him around the board... I have never personalyl like scouts, but it's your choice... I find dev squads to be point sinks against certain enemies... they do the exact same thing as a predator for more points, but again you're choice ,they can be useful...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Closed Thread