Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

3 army lists
Closed Thread
Old 15 Nov 2006, 01:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default 3 army lists

Okay, which of these lists would be the most interesting to play? The second and third lists are not yet written, but are almost done.

Salamanders: Anti-tank Company 500 pts

HQ- Captain - 101 points
- thunder hammer
- bolt pistol
- melta bombs
- bionics

Command squad - 150 points
- 5 marines
- character
- melta gun
- skills

Troops- 140
- 5 marines
- terminator armor
- 2 meltaguns
- thunder hammer

Troops- 140
- 5 marines
- terminator armor
- 2 meltaguns
- thunder hammer

I left the spot open for a hero in the command squad and the skills so that I can be flexible. This adds up to roughly 500pts. The question is.. is this list balanced? And will it be interesting to play?

The second list is an Iron Hands list and the third is going to be a self-made Chapter. If these don't work out then I will start Eldar.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 02:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to thecuriousmonke
Default Re: 3 army lists

Remove the independent points cost, now! Against forum rules and all. Whenever writing up a list just use the total when putting in points the cost.

Now your list looks, interesting. Personally I think you have invested way too much in the command squad with your captain. At 500 points your not going to be seeing many tanks. And the ones your are should be easy enough to take down. I would suggest balancing your list a little bit by beefing up those tactical squads a little more. Six to eight is usually what people take, because it works.

Now if you take out the command squad, your captain can lone it. Giving him a jump pack will increase his mobility, but otherwise he looks okay.

Now with the points left over from the command squad loss and adding some meat to your tactical squads, you are probably wondering what you should do with those points. Landspeeders are cheap and can be effective and even re tooled to face different opponents. Scouts can also be buffed, they should be able to hold their own with a small amount of support and can infiltrate.

However if you have already purchased the models simply say so and we can try to work with what you've got.
May you rest in peace, Freddie Hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
I hate kids.
More normaler that you'se!
Thanks to Wargamer and JD for the sigs
Old 15 Nov 2006, 02:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Firstly dont show the costs of individual upgrades like the Thunder Hammer and such. Just unit totals. Showing the cost of each piece of wargear is copywright enfringement and could get TO in trouble and we dont want that.

In any case its not bad. Just remember with mostly infantry your still going to need some mobility. I would suggest you drop the command squad, at such a low points level they arent really worth the cost. Instead add assault marines or land speeders. Bikes would also work very well too, sergeant with combi melta, x2 melta guns and an assault bike with multi melta. Lots of anti tank power there. Also for what your paying slap an Iron Halo or combat shield on that Captain and the boost to matser is usually worth it for the all around leadership 10. Heres a sample list similar to what you have:

HQ
Captain, Thunder Hammer, Bolt Pistol, Terminator Honors, Frag Grenades, Bionics
Total: 122

Troops:

Tactical Squad (5)
Terminator Honors, Power Fist, x2 Melta Guns
Total: 125pts

Tactical Squad (5)
Terminator Honors, Power Fist, x2 Melta Guns
Total: 125pts

Fast Attack:
Assault Squad (5)
Terminator Honors, Power Fist
Total: 140

Army Total: 502pts with 16 Marines, 4 Melta Guns, 3 Power Fists and a Storm Hammer

Lacking in much long ranged kick but thats not the point at this level. Thunder Hammers are far too expencive to give to vet sergeants at double the cost of the power fist. When Fists are so much cheaper on sergeants they are a steal for their benefit. The Assault Marines add mobility and at this points level a master isnt really necessary so the 15 points saved can go to make sure every sergeant has a power fist.

However since not many people will take lots of tanks at this points level (ok well my Tau do but whatever) you can try something else. Salamanders like them flamers so another possible list is this, also a Thunder Hammer on your commander doesnt really make use of his nice high Initiative even though fluffy lets look at another possible combination for this points level. :

HQ
Captain
Terminator Honors, Pair of Lightning Claws, Jump Pack, Combat Shield, Frag Grenades, Bionics
Total: 141points

Troops:
Tactical Squad (6)
Terminator Honors, power weapon, Flamers x2, frags
Total: 137

Tactical Squad (6)
Terminator Honors, power fist, melta gun x2
Total: 140

Fast Attack:
Land Speeder Tornado
Heavy Bolter and Assault Cannon
Total: 80pts

Army Total: 498

More rounded tactical squads, one built for anti Infantry and the other built to take on tougher targets be it Rubric Marines, Terminators, MCs or tanks. The Land Speeder is also effective against vehicles with the rending assault cannon and also with its high rate of fire can chew through infantry aswell. Your commander is also kitted out for doing damage and making the most of himself remaining highly mobile and with 6 attacks on the charge that re-roll to wound is nice.

Iron Hands are a fluffy army to play and making your own can be very cool aswell. It all comes down to what you want your army to do.

I hope some of my rambling has proven useful.

Old 15 Nov 2006, 08:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Okay, I fixed the individual points cost and I also done some editing on your punctuation and such. Next time when you are going to post an army list then please follow the board rules, this only helps people who are going to comment on your list.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 19:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Im not going for a powerful list, just to follow my fluff. i have not bought the models yet, but a dom't want to spend tons of money. im not using scouts because they cant be tailored for anti-tank. should i take veterens?

this is the iron hands list:

hq-
techmarine
extra wound
servo harness
boltpistol

troops
5 marines
heavy bolter

troops
5 marines
flamer

troops
5 marines
flamer

heavy
dreadnought
skill

this leaves me with 27 pts, so what should i get?
Old 16 Nov 2006, 01:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Drop the third tactical squad and boost the numbers of the other two to 8 and you should be fine. However you might want to take a look at the techmarine guide for some ideas of what to do with your techmarine HQ.

Closed Thread