Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My list so far + stuff i will get, comments?
Closed Thread
Old 14 Nov 2006, 05:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default My list so far + stuff i will get, comments?

So this is my list so far. i am righting this to see what people think of it and what i should get next.
(units in italic are planed units)

HQ
-Master Menelaus with storm bolter, lightning claw and jump pack.............125pts
-Codicer Alain with bp and fury of the anceints..........................104pts

ELITES
-5 grey knight terminators with a psycannon................258pts (not sure bout this)
-1 dreadnaught Magnas with assault cannon and power fist......................105pts

TROOPS
-6 marines with missle launcher and plasma gun..........................110pts
-7 marines plus 1 sergant (power fist and plasma pistol) with heavy bolter and flamer.................169pts
-6 marines with mislle launcher and melta...............110pts
-5 snipers with missle launcher...............................100pts
-2 snipers, 2 bolter scouts and 1 heavy bolter scout....................80pts
-8 ccw scouts including sergent with power sword...............129pts

FAST ATTACK
-3 bikes with a melta gun including segent with power sword....................131pts
-5 assault marines with 2 plasma pistols including a sergent with a powerfist.............150pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
-6 devastators- 1 plasma cannon, 1 las cannon, 1 missle launcher.................180pts
-1 preadator anihilator with heavy bolter sponsons.....................130pts

so what do you think of it and what do you think of the choices that i will be getting

I scored a 6 on my powergaming test Yay................ ha
Old 14 Nov 2006, 06:11   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: My list so far + stuff i will get, comments?

I think you have some interesting units... but no general theme & no overall flavor to your list. The first thing I'd do is to determine what you want this list to be... a hard-hitting Assault army, a shooty army of ranged death, or something else altogether.

It's hard to say what you need next because I'm not sure where you want to go with all these guys... so that's probably the biggest comment that I have.

Sorry if the other comments are kind of short & nit-picky, but it's hard for me to determine how to analyze this list other than to nit-pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertus Maximus
So this is my list so far. i am righting this to see what people think of it and what i should get next.
(units in italic are planed units)

HQ
-Master Menelaus with storm bolter, lightning claw and jump pack.............125pts
-Codicer Alain with bp and fury of the anceints..........................104pts
The Master needs to be tooled up more if he will go out to compete against big nasties in CC... which I personally would not do with a Chapter Master. I think you need this guy because many of your squads don't have Sergeants with Terminator Honours... but he's not cheap enough as a Leadership guy, and he's not expensive enough to hunt enemy ICs.

The Codicier is okay, but he might have issues firing off Fury from the back row of your deployment zone. He might do better with the Jump Pack than the Chapter Master.

Quote:
ELITES
-5 grey knight terminators with a psycannon................258pts (not sure bout this)
-1 dreadnaught Magnas with assault cannon and power fist......................105pts
Not sure about Daemonhunter/GK points, myself.

The Dreadnought may have issues as there is only one tank in this list, so anti-tank weapons might send Magnas to the scrap pile pretty quick. I think it's a cool model... but I'm not sure it fits with what you have.

Quote:
TROOPS
-6 marines with missle launcher and plasma gun..........................110pts
Fine. One of your Marines is automatically a Sergeant... so your labeling is throwing me off a bit.

Quote:
-7 marines plus 1 sergant (power fist and plasma pistol) with heavy bolter and flamer.................169pts
Points are off, I think... you probably have accounted for the Terminator Honours, but something is missing a couple points, just counting from memory (not looking at the codex).

I wouldn't take Plasma Pistol with Power Fist on the odd chance that the pistol melts off your sergeant's arm via GETS HOT!

Quote:
-6 marines with mislle launcher and melta...............110pts
Ranges aren't really compatible between these weapons, but I suppose it's okay in some situations. It's not a combination I'd go with, but it could work for you.

Quote:
-5 snipers with missle launcher...............................100pts
I think the points are off again. Scouts don't have to buy a Sniper Rifle in order to buy a Missile Launcher, so I think you are over-costing these guys by the value of one Sniper Rifle. I'd personally go with an even number unit (for scoring purposes), but they could do some damage as is.

Quote:
-2 snipers, 2 bolter scouts and 1 heavy bolter scout....................80pts
Again, you're not including Sergeants in most of these listings, which is throwing me off. The points value seems correct. I'd personally go with an even number unit, but this is still a nice little fire team.

Quote:
-8 ccw scouts including sergent with power sword...............129pts
You need to be specific in saying that you have a Sergeant with Terminator Honours, IMO. You're off by 2 points, I think... Terminator Honours cost less for Scout Sergeants, as I recall. I would also go for a Power Fist for the Sergeant.

Quote:
FAST ATTACK
-3 bikes with a melta gun including segent with power sword....................131pts
-5 assault marines with 2 plasma pistols including a sergent with a powerfist.............150pts
Both of these squads are too small, IMO... you should probably maximize them if you hope to throw them into assault.

Quote:
HEAVY SUPPORT
-6 devastators- 1 plasma cannon, 1 las cannon, 1 missle launcher.................180pts
-1 preadator anihilator with heavy bolter sponsons.....................130pts
The Plasma Cannon & Lascannon are pretty expensive in a Devastator squad... I'd just go with Missile Launchers here, and move those other 2 weapons to the Tactical Squads instead.

The Predator probably should get Extra Armour & possibly Smoke Launchers... or it could also go away since you don't have many other vehicles for tank-hunting enemies to snipe at. I'd probably get rid of it.

Old 14 Nov 2006, 06:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i was looking for a balanced mostly infantry force but i guess i have just screwed it up bad. the reason some squads look weird is that i am short on funds and am buying boxed sets. and i am using all the guys that i already have which has the gk termies, the weird master and all the other stuff. I guess i could buy 2 morew bikes and another squad of assault marines but the devastator squad is pretty much set as that is what comes in the box.

Old 14 Nov 2006, 16:05   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It's not messed up that badly... to boil it down, I think some things to consider...

#1 Moving the Lascannon & Plasma Cannon out of the Devastator squad, putting them into the Tactical Squads... and moving the Missile Launcher marines out of the Tactical Squads, and moving them into the Devastator squad.

#2 Reconfigure the Master to be harder-hitting since he's an existing model. At minimum, add Terminator Honours, try to get an Iron Halo or Combat Shield to glue onto him to make him tougher in combat.

Since you inevitably will attach him to the Assault Marine squad, make sure you get another box of Assault Marines because they really are wonderful troops in sufficient quantities.

#3 I like your Scouts, and I like Scouts in general. They are excellent little fire teams to help get your assault units forward... including the cc Scouts, which are good things to have IMO.

This frees up your Tactical Squads to be a little more shooty-oriented, in general. I just think your Tactical Squads need more definition as to who they are and what they are doing for you... just some tweaking.

#4 I really like the Bikes too... but with Assault Marines in the same force, and so many other infantry units, I don't know if your Bikes have a place in this list.

Alternatively, I would avoid getting the Assault Marines, also avoid using your old Chapter Master, and just go with the Librarian as your 1 HQ choice - he can be useful in many different situations as well, and the Psychic Hood can be very helpful. In this case, buff up your Bike Squad instead of getting those Assault Marines.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 03:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Mmmmmmmmmmm. i have never realy liked assault marines anyway soooooooo i think your idea about not having them is great. I could mabey jemove the jump pack from the commander and shove him on a bike. then take away the storm bolter and give him terminator honers and a CCW giving him 2 extra attacks that re roll to wound. then i could get 2 more bikes and a attack bike to beef up the squad.

Old 15 Nov 2006, 16:15   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Bikes definitely have their advantages over Assault Marines (along with disadvantages). If you already have bikers, I would definitely get the Attack Bike & round out your Biker squad. It's probably less expected by most of your opponents than a full squad of Assault Marines, and likely could surprise them in a game. You could make the fast-moving bike squad into the centerpiece of your army, if you're looking for something to plan an army around.

If you can stick the Codicier onto a Bike, the increased movement of a bike can allow him to "shoot" Fury across a LOT of enemy units, or if you like Fear of the Darkness, the Bike can put the Codicier in a prime spot to scare away half of the enemy's army.

Putting the Commander onto the bike is also can work, although the benefits seem a little more limited than the Librarian.
Old 17 Nov 2006, 21:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

DO NOT GO WITH GREY KNIGHTS!!!! I tried this when I first started, there are a million things you could spend your points on... perhaps if the Knights didn't cost so much.

Instead of buying them, beef up your assault squad and your dev squad, more Marines in the squad means that you can protect the important stuff longer... Go with the predator, that's the config I use and it works very well... I wouldn't put flamers or meltas in a squad with a heavy weapon, as you need to get close to use it, and since you don't look like you're moving I would go with the Plasma gun instead because of it's longer range... Bikes are cool, use them as a lot of people don't and try to include as many assault weapons as possible, although it looks like they're only for tank hunting, also add more nikes as they will probably be a fire magnet...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 21 Nov 2006, 07:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i already have the grey knights and besides even though they waist A LOT of points the look AWSOME

Closed Thread