Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

first SM list, 1000 points, CoD Drop Pod List
Closed Thread
Old 01 Nov 2006, 03:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default first SM list, 1000 points, CoD Drop Pod List

Love cityfighting, just got the dex. I wanted to make a new CoD army based primaraly around drop pods. Ive always been agaisnt SMs because they were so damm spoiled by GW and that was always a major turn off. But a CoD SM army is way to cool to pass up. Keep in mind this is my first SM list ever (I know its shocking) so here it goes....

HQ:
SM master w/ termie armor, storm shield, thunderhammer
2 termies w/ assault cannon and pwr fist
2 termies w/ storm bolters, pwr fists

Troops:
6 SMs w/ bolters
1 SM w/ heavy bolter
1 SM w/ flamer
1 Sarge w/ bolter
mounted in drop pod w/ deathwing launcher

6 SMs w/ bolters
1 SM w/ heavy bolter
1 SM w/ flamer
1 Sarge w/ bolter
Heavys:

4 SM deavastors w/ heavy bolters
1 Sarge w/ boter
mounted in drop pod w/ storm bolter

1 Sarge w/ bolter

995pts

Please be gentle....

[img width=407 height=650]http://i25.tinypic.com/28jcqwj.jpg[/img]
Old 01 Nov 2006, 18:33   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: first SM list, 1000 points, CoD Deathwing list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitarangi
Love cityfighting, just got the dex. I wanted to make a new CoD army based primaraly around drop pods. Ive always been agaisnt SMs because they were so damm spoiled by GW and that was always a major turn off. But a CoD SM army is way to cool to pass up. Keep in mind this is my first SM list ever (I know its shocking) so here it goes....

HQ:
SM master w/ termie armor, storm shield, thunderhammer
2 termies w/ storm bolters, pwr fists
First, the Sergeant comes with a Power Weapon. This is a good thing because he will help thin out the riff raff before the Power Fists can hit.

Second, the Chapter Master is slowed down by the Thunder Hammer... which is not a good thing (a waste of the Master's I5), but the Storm Shield helps that a bit.

If you want a HQ character in a Terminator Command Squad, I would recommend a Chaplain or Librarian instead. They are more meant to be in the front line, while a Master is more valuable in the back & brings less benefit to a front-line HQ squad than even a Reclusiarch or a basic Codicier.

Also, what about taking Terminator Honours on your HQ?

And how does this squad arrive? Is there a pod, or is it teleportation?

All in all, I like Termies because they are coolness/awesomeness (especially in Command Squads because of the extra Power Weapon from the Sgt)... but this squad may be eating up too much of your points for what it brings to the table.

Quote:
Troops:
6 SMs w/ bolters
1 SM w/ heavy bolter
1 SM w/ flamer
1 Sarge w/ bolter

6 SMs w/ bolters
1 SM w/ heavy bolter
1 SM w/ flamer
1 Sarge w/ bolter
I think you mean Deathwind launcher. The "Deathwing" terminology is confusing because it makes me think of a specific element of the Dark Angels chapter.

The Flamer is good for CoD, and the Hvy Bolter is cheap... but what about Armour 2+ or 3+ units? None of your Brother-Sergeants have Terminator Honours plus power weaponry... and you have no Plasma to deal with heavy infantry... so enemy Marines in particular (either Loyalists with Sergeants that have Terminator Honours or Traitors with Aspiring Champions, plus the appropriate weaponry) will probably eat these guys alive.

There also are no Frag grenades here to charge into cover... unless you never want to assault, ever.

I just think that these squads could be "harder" than they are. Tactical squads are the backbone of your force, so make them stand up a little more, IMO.

Scouts also could be considered as the benefit of Power Armour is negated somewhat by all the Cover, plus Scouts w/ Bolt Pistol & cc weapon are "harder" in many Assault situations compared to plain Tactical Squads.

Quote:
Heavys:

1 Sarge w/ boter

1 Sarge w/ bolter

995pts
Good fire support... maybe you can leapfrog them or something, but they need a little babysitting since they are kind of thin. Heaven forbid that a Lictor or something jump onto them at the wrong time.

Hopefully that wasn't too harsh...

( +1 for your help - Stam)
Old 02 Nov 2006, 03:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: first SM list, 1000 points, CoD Drop Pod List

Bun Drone thanks for the C&C, heres my new list

HQ:

SM Master of Sanctity Chaplain w/ termie armor, termie honors, pwr weapon, Combi flamer, rosarius
1 Termie Sarge w/ pwr weapon and storm shield

Troops:

6 SMs w/ bolters
1 SM w/ Multi-Melta
1 SM w/ flamer
1 Sarge w/ bolt pistol, CCW, and frags
Mounted in drop pod w/ deathwind launcher

6 SMs w/ bolters
1 SM w/ Multi-Melta
1 SM w/ flamer

Heavy:

1 Sarge w/ bolt pistol, CCW, Frags
Mounted in drop pod w/ storm bolter

Sum: 1000 pts

Old 02 Nov 2006, 17:38   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
HQ:

SM Master of Sanctity Chaplain w/ termie armor, termie honors, pwr weapon, Combi flamer, rosarius
Since you dont' have points listed, I'm not quite sure if this applies or not... but make sure you haven't bought another Power Weapon for the Master of Sanctity since he already comes with a Crozius Arcanum (the equivalent of a Power Weapon).

I don't have an issue with a Combi-Flamer, per se, except that it will require some modeling work since the Terminator Chaplain mini only comes with a Storm Bolter. It's probably easier in general to get combi-weapons onto Marines in standard Power Armour or Artificer Armour because of the availability of plastic Combi-weapon bits & the various plastic sprues. You may want to change the Combi-Flamer to a Storm Bolter for convenience's sake.

Also, a Master of Sanctity brings 1 more Ld and 1 more W than a Reclusiarch... the rest is fairly equal... so if you really need to save points, a Reclusiarch still works okay in many situations... until you NEED that Master of Sanctity statline, just like Combi-Weapons (they aren't that great until you wish you had one), which is why I mention it as an option and not a real point of criticism.

Again, I love Termies, and having re-rolls on the Charge with the Chaplain (equal to master-crafting everybody's weapon) is kind of cool. The 2 Power Weapon (err, Power Weapon & Crozius Arcanum) guys could benefit even more with Furious Charge, allowing them to strike ahead of Space Marine equivalents due to the I boost... which is, perhaps, overkill with a Chaplain-led squad (although overkill is sometimes called for). Furious Charge lets the Chaplain tie Genestealers initiative on the Charge, I think, which is not inconsiderable.

Quote:
Troops:

6 SMs w/ bolters
1 SM w/ Multi-Melta
1 SM w/ flamer

6 SMs w/ bolters
1 SM w/ Multi-Melta
1 SM w/ flamer

Heavy:

Again, I can't quite tell without the point listings... so this may not apply here. Does every Marine carry Frags, or just the Brother-Sergeants? Unless you take Terminator Honours on the Sergeants, you can only buy Frags for the entire squad or none at all.

Since it's CoD, I think Multimeltas are good... even if some swear by the holy Lascannon, and some might say that Missile Launchers provide better fire support at long range & also have the alternate Frag shot. I think Multimeltas are cool... but maybe that's because Sisters of Battle have limited options in the heavy department. Anyway, a Multimelta could definitely put a serious hurt on opposing Dreadnoughts or similar things that you might encounter in CoD, which is probably a very good thing to do in CoD.

I should have said it previously... the odd/non-even numbers in the squads is generally not my preference, just from a scoring unit perspective. Shuffling the squad sizes around to 8 & 10 instead of two Tactical Squads of 9 is more my preference, or perhaps cutting both down to 8 marines, and bumping up the Devastators to 6 marine squads. I probably wouldn't sacrifice Marines in order to buy more stuff elsewhere... but if it's necessary to add more wargear or Terminator Honours elsewhere, then taking the points from shaving off a Space Marine from each Tactical Squad could be an option (maybe even trying to save enough to add another Terminator to the Command Squad). Probably on an ongoing basis, you might consider this.

I still think that the Tactical Squads will generally be outclassed by more dedicated Assault squads... although, being Space Marines, they should still hammer lesser opposition. Something about this still bothers me...

Making one of the Tactical Squads "harder" (taking away the Heavy 1 weapon, the Multi-Melta, and taking away the odd number from the squad to have Terminator Honours plus some other wargear on the Sgt... like putting the Combi-Flamer here instead of up with the Terminator Chaplain) instead of having 2 identical Tactical Squads might give you more tactical flexibility.

You could also get more points from swapping out one Devastator Squad for a more Fire Support-y Tactical Squad (maybe a minimum size Tactical Squad with Heavy Bolter & a Plasma Gun... and if you can afford it, a Sergeant w/Termie Honours that carries a Storm Bolter or Combi-weapon), then adding the remaining points into the Tactical Squads. You'll lose a considerable amount of fire downrange, unfortunately, but again you will gain more specialization elsewhere.

More stuff to consider, anyway.
Old 02 Nov 2006, 19:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Since you dont' have points listed, I'm not quite sure if this applies or not... but make sure you haven't bought another Power Weapon for the Master of Sanctity since he already comes with a Crozius Arcanum (the equivalent of a Power Weapon).

I don't have an issue with a Combi-Flamer, per se, except that it will require some modeling work since the Terminator Chaplain mini only comes with a Storm Bolter. It's probably easier in general to get combi-weapons onto Marines in standard Power Armour or Artificer Armour because of the availability of plastic Combi-weapon bits & the various plastic sprues. You may want to change the Combi-Flamer to a Storm Bolter for convenience's sake.

I wasnt sure if I was able to post point costs (I know some forums frown on that kind of stuff). I meant Crozarius as the pwr weapon. He has one pwr weapon and its the free one that comes w/ the chaplain. Im probly gonna model the crozarius as a sword because I dont like how the crozarius looks. Also, just to clear it up all my squads have frags they will help in sticky situations. Finally, I love converting and that temie chap model looks like a freaking duck, so im gonna start with ground up on that guy.

thanks for the feed back

Old 02 Nov 2006, 20:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Personally, I don't see why you have your dev squad in a drop pod, as they are supposed to be fire support, you want to set them up in cover at the beginning of the game and keep them there. I would go with a mix of weapons in your Dev squads, you want to be able to do something when that dreadnought walks right in your crosshairs and al you have is S5 weapons...
In the Tac squads I am against using heavy weapons because you have to be stationary to use them, and my squads are never stationary. As for the Seargent, I would go for a Power Fist or a Power weapon and a Plasma Pistol for lack of anti-armor, although the fist is more reliable...

How can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

how can you be sure what you know is the truth if you haven't taken the time to ask yourself the questions that dispute it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
Well we probably didn't figure out that decapitation resulted in death until someone lopped another guy's head off. And now people take care not to let sword waving lunatics near their neck
Old 05 Nov 2006, 08:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You can post unit costs, but not individual costs, such as the price of termie honors or power weapons.

That aside, I think having two Devie squads are a bit of a point sink in 1000pts. Especially when they both have 4 heavy bolters. Mind you this list will work great against horde armies such as 'nids and Orks, but because of this point sink, you lack the necesary anti-tank. What I would do, is have one squad with 2 MLs and 2 LS and then throw in an extra Space Marine or two as a meat sheild. This should allow you to equip your sergeants with power weapons or fists (preferably fists) and maybe the odd nick nack here and there.

Ender
"Strive For Perfection
And Strike With Precision
Soon It Blows Up In Your Face
And The Smoke Blurs Your Vision"
-Mushroomhead

Formerly Andrew "Ender" Wiggen.
Old 05 Nov 2006, 20:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
HQ:

Can't have both TDA (tactical dreadnought armour aka terminator armour) and Terminator Honours. I don't see the point of having a storm shield on the sarge, as majority save vs. power weapons is still 5+. In addition, you need a fourth terminator (characters don't count for the 4-9 of the Terminator Command Squad).
And Litanies of Hate is many time better than master-crafting; that's only a single re-roll.

Quote:
Troops:

6 SMs w/ bolters
1 SM w/ Multi-Melta
1 SM w/ flamer

6 SMs w/ bolters
1 SM w/ Multi-Melta
1 SM w/ flamer
Drop the deathwind launchers; they're a waste of points. Your sergeants can't take frags unless they have Terminator Honours or the rest of the squad has. Remember to have even-numbered squads, as they are more durable scoring units (your 9-men squads need to lose 5 men, same as an 8-man squad). I suggest dropping the multi-meltas; it'll be turn 3 at the very earliest before you can use them.

Quote:
Heavy:

Sum: 1000 pts
Swap the sergeants' equipment for straight-out bolters. Don't need that stuff in a dev squad. Heavy weapons are a bad idea in drop pods; they take too long to set up.

You have virtually no anti-tank; granted, there might be fewer tanks in CoD, but you still need some.
Your dev squads are huge point-sinks. I suggest that you swap them for two 8-man tac squads with a special weapon and a sarge with a power fist, to help you in assault.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Closed Thread