Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Successful Space Marine Army lists
Old 10 Oct 2006, 10:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Successful Space Marine Army lists

This thread is for members to post up their Space Marine Army list that has had multiple victories.

So, do you have a list that won you many games? Or have you used your list in a Tournament and got away with a prize? Then please post up your list here so other members can learn from your army list. Any point value is allowed, be it a small patrol game or a list which could represent a full Company of Space Marines.

It is also be nice to hear some of your tactics that you use with your army list. Or you could give some background info on why you use certain units.

For providing your list you simply need to post it in a reply here in this thread. A suggestion is that you use the
Frame for posting army lists. This is only recommended so people will have no trouble reading your army list.

If you provide your successful army list with extra information like you see in the lists already posted, I can give you a reward. And that reward is:

[size=14pt]+1 Karma[/size]

Thanks for helping out your fellow Battle-Brothers with providing your successful army list!
Stam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Oct 2006, 11:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Chton
Default Re: Succesfull Space Marine Army lists

This one worked very well for me. Won a tournament with it. ;D

[size=18pt]The Fallen 2000 Points[/size]

(Loyalist Rules)
Traits: No Mercy, No respite, Take the Fight to Them, Eye to Eye and Die standing

[HQ]

Hq I
Captain, Storm Bolter, Lighning Claw, Infiltrate
Command Squad 9x Marines, 2x Flamers, Company Champion, Infiltrate
290p

Hq II
Codicier, Force Sword, Psychic Hood, Veil of Time, Bolt Pistol, Infiltrate
Command squad 9x Marines, Plasmagun, Meltagun, Infiltrate
299p

[ELITES]

Elites I
Terminator Squad 5x Terminators, Assault Cannon, 2x Chainfists (Deep Strike)
230p

[TROOPS]

Troops I
Tactical Squad 6x Marines, Plasmagun, Plasma Cannon (Razorback, Twin-Linked Lascannon, Smoke Launchers)
213p

Troops II
Tac squad 10x Marines, All with CCW, Terminator Honours, Power Fist, Furious Charge (Land Raider, Smoke Launchers, Extra Armour)
469p

[FAST ATTACK]

Fast Attack I
Bike squad 3x Bikers, 1x Attack Bike, Multimelta, 2x Meltagun.
189p

Fast Attack II
Assault squad 10x Marines, 2xPlasma Pistol, Terminator Honours, Power Fist, Meltabombs, Furious Charge
310p

2000p total

Tactics and Deployment

The tactics of this list is to spread out a mobile combat line in your deployment zone. The tactic is based on deceit. In military terms, it is known as a "pincer manouver." Take the flanks, and drive a spearhead of heavy hitters into the middle.

Up on each flank, I infiltrate one command squad. (Opponent thinks: oooh, easy vp!) These two squads moves up ahead each flank, looking mean.

At the same time, the Razorback deploys the plasma squad within decent range. (harassment unit). Then the Razorback takes the role of tank hunter.

The Raider moves full speed ahead, with the mission of deploying the CC tactical squad in the middle of the opponents force. (Should have it quite easy, as opponent most likely spends resources on taking out the flanking command squads.)

Assault marines follows the Librarians squad, in case he may need some heavy hitters.

The bike squad (completely suicide unit), charges ahead, hugging cover, and meltas the opponent's inevitable tournament land raider/russ/basilisk/monolith etc. After taking out any big target, they just go into melee to clog up any possible heavy weapon squads.
The tournament I used the bike squad in, killed: 2 Leman Russ Battletanks, 1 GK Land Raider Crusader and 2 Loyalist Land Raiders. And a lot of infantry. All on their own. (It's fun to charge guardsmen with space marines).

Advantages/Disadvantages

This list might not be of the strongest I have made, due to the lack of models I posessed at the time I made it. A bit of tweaking would make it a lot more dangerous.

The little advantages provided, is that you keep your flanks safe, and your deployment zone empty. Against static opponents, this is very dangerous. Hugging cover, and then lashing out on the enemy without much shooting, is devastating to many forces.
But there are quite a few disadvantages. If the Land Raider is taken out too early in the game, the middle-field is open. An escape route for a more mobile army. A lot counts on it doing it's job.

Another thing, is if you face an all-out melee army. You might have to stay about your own deplyment zone, and try to deny as much enemy shooting as possible.

Finishing Thoughts
As I mentioned earlier, this list is far from reaching it's real potential. If the Captain was simply given a power fist and bolt pistol, they would be eternally more versatile in combat.

The Librarians command squad is also badly constructed. (A meltagun and plasmagun in the same squad...what on Earth was I thinking?) And the Libby's power...MEH!
Two meltaguns and Fear of the Darkness would make the squad a lot more mobile, not to mention powerful.

The Terminators should be exchanged with Assault Termies. (3TH/2LC).

The rest workes magnificently for me. But the Tactical Squads/ LandRaider/Razorback could perhaps be exchanged for simple Rhino based transports.
Chton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Oct 2006, 21:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

[size=12pt]Space Marines, 1500 points :: Standard Missions, All Comer[/size]
[size=7pt]Brought to you by your friendly neighborhood Inquisitor, MalVeauX.[/size]

Space Marines really can be built to do near anything. I've always fancied fun armies as well as effective armies, and it's usually difficult to combine both with other forces. But, the 4th edition Space Marines really give me a little bit of it all to enjoy. I get plenty of room to roll lots of dice at my opponent. I get plenty of powerful punching weapons. I get lots of fast moving things and I get to plop down things that we only read about in the fluff, let alone use powerful psychic abilities without just imagining that they're great. The following Space Marine list is a simple template that I've used for a while now, mainly for casual games in the sense of fighting whoever, whatever and whenever. But, it's also appeared and won a few local tournaments. It doesn't have a perfect track record, and has met its match now and again, but in general it has performed very well and is rather comfortable to use.

[size=11pt]Every servant has his place, no matter how lowly or modest.
To know it is his greatest comfort, to excel within his greatest
solace, and his master's contentment is his greatest reward.
- Codex Administratum
[/size]

[hr]

[size=11pt]The Army List, 1500* points:[/size]

Drop Pod Assault :: Traits: Cleanse and Purify, Take Pride in your Colours

[table]
[tr][td]
Headquarter Selection I: 291 points
Chapter Librarian, Codicier - [106 points]
Options: Bolt Pistol
Psychic Power: Fear of the Darkness
Librarium Command Squad - [155 points]
Space Marines x 7 (5x Bolters)
Options: Plasma Guns x 2
Sergeant: Terminator Honors; Power Fist
Transport: Drop Pod - [30]

Elite Selection I: 123 points
Veteran Squad
Space Marines x 6 (5x Bolters)
Options: Lascannon
Special Skills: Tank Hunters

Elite Selection II: 133 points
Veteran Squad
Space Marines x 6 (4x Bolters)
Options: Lascannon, Plasma Gun
Special Skills: Tank Hunters

Troop Selection I: 205 points
Tactical Squad
Space Marines x 8 (5x Bolters) - [175 points]
Sergeant: Terminator Honors, Power Fist
Transport: Drop Pod - [30 points]

*1497 points total
[/td][td] [/td]
[td]
Troop Selection II: 205 points
Tactical Squad
Space Marines x 8 (5x Bolters) - [175 points]
Sergeant: Terminator Honors, Power Fist
Transport: Drop Pod - [30 points]

Troop Selection III: 105 points
Tactical Squad
Space marines x 6 (5x Bolters)

Troop Selection IV: 105 points
Tactical Squad
Space marines x 6 (5x Bolters)

Fast Attack Selection I: 50 points
Land Speeder Squadron
Land Speeder (Heavy Bolter) x 1

Fast Attack Selection II: 50 points
Land Speeder Squadron

Fast Attack Selection III: 50 points
Land Speeder Squadron

Heavy Support Selection I: 180 points
Devastator Squad
Space Marines x 8 (4x Bolters)
Options: Heavy Bolters x 4
[/td][/tr][/table]

[hr]

Composition:

Normally it doesn't really matter where and how you spend your points in an army list. It's up to you and your opponent to figure out what's best for you. In my opinion, everything available to you with your points that is legal is fair to use and you should use anything and everything you want, within your legal limits. That said, not everyone agrees with that. And with that in mind, many tournaments and organized leagues, prefer that the composition of an army list follow a guideline, in an effort to make an "accepted" means of fair use of points. This can cost you in a tournament, if you do not pay heed to it. It's less important in friendly matches outside of tournaments, and at many events, where composition is meaningless. It can directly effect how you score battle points and will greatly influence your Sportsmanship marks. Keeping the idea of `All Comer,' I kept the composition tight to a very widely accepted and used format. That said here are the composition percentages: HQ total points come to 19.4% of the army list. Elite total points come to 17.1% of the army list. Troop total points come to 41.3% of the army list. Fast Attack total points come to 10% of the army list. And finally, Heavy Support total points come to 12% of the army list. The reason for this is because many composition guidelines are going to expect 40% of your points to be spent in troops, and no more than roughly 20% to 25% of your points to be spent in any other given category. So, everything falls into those brackets. It's also important to try to jam in as much useful upgrades as possible, while avoiding too many of the fun ones (thankfully, the codex doesn't contain a lot of fun upgrades like other armies have access to). It's also important that while doing just that, to avoid minimizing units and maximizing their upgrades in the process. The use of even numbered squads is to have optimal scoring unit odds and the sizes of squads are based on their function and odds of being in proximity with enemy models. Large units are for up close. Small units are for ranged or utility purposes. Delivery and mobility are important to consider when building the list for playing missions, so both were accounted for. They're not the absolute most optimal means to deliver or move my units, but it functions through the use of target priority; eg, which of my units will be `hit' more often by attacks. Also it's good to note, that there's a variety of units and types in the army list. Variety is important in a composition just as much as the percentages sometimes.

Deployment Strategy:

First of all, I always choose to go second if possible. This gives me the final actual turn, which allows me to make last minute moves without worrying about being shot at or assaulted afterwards (this is sometimes not true, if its random game length or if someone is using something like a trait that extends the game at all). Deployment is pretty important, both in casual matches and tournament matches. I don't expect terrain to be in my favor, so I have to work with the preparation of not having any sometimes, or having too much. The way I see deployment, is pretty much what I call `All in or out.' What that means is, most of the army should be deployed on the table for first turn, or it should entirely be in reserves. I tip toe the edge and put most everything on the board and keep a few things in reserves, which is part of my delivery. The list is designed to work through deployment just like an attack, and it goes in hand with going second. Heavy is deployed first, so my opponent places a Heavy and then I place my Devastators (who are meant for destroying infantry mainly). My opponent places more Heavy if he has it, and here's where I start dropping down lascannon using Troops to counter them (typically, they are vehicles or monstrous creatures). This gives me the best opportunity to get line of sight in several directions for these units, and future ones. We both work through our Troops, but two of mine are in reserves so I end up moving up to my Elites. Again, I'm placing lascannon, but this time, ones that are specific for tanks--I've deployed 3 units now, so this is my 4th unit on the table and I should be able to line up with the worst vehicle which is usually a heavy support choice (considering there are a maximum of 3 heavy support choices possible). My HQ is held in reserve and I move on to my final units, which are Fast Attack. My fast attack can also be held in reserve if I wish. This is good because if I see nothing that my heavy bolters are going to really be effective against, I may hold them back in order to simply see what happens on turn one, and to see if there's an area around turns two or three, where I could potentially put them. Guarding points is of the essence when there's no point risking them. The list is also built around avoiding the effects of massed up anti-tank weapons, since I have no real tanks and skimmers often times, are not penetrable.

In-Game Application (Tactics, if you will):

The use of the army is rather cut and dry. `The right gun, for the right job,' so to speak. The lascannons are there to take out vehicles and monstrous creatures; two of the lascannons specifically take on the heaviest armor. The heavy bolters are there, to get a start on removing infantry quickly, from the weeniest to the heftiest, heavy bolters do it pretty well. The Land Speeders are there to also supply more heavy bolter action, but their real use is generally scoring. The idea of only 32 marines on the board isn't so bad; that's a lot of power armor, so I'm not in too much trouble on those first turns. I don't have enough firepower to take out a very dangerous and/or specific target sometimes, and that's where the Drop Pods come in. Drop Pods give me extremely safe delivery options and I get to come down hard, having Plasma waiting for the opposition. And should they get into the thick of it, Power Fists to do the job right. There's no slacking with those power weapons around here. The HQ Pod is specific for literally `bringing down the house' against various xenos forces that are not fearless, and even imperial forces that are not fearless. Disrupting deployment and sending units 2D6 in a general direction is a pretty nasty way to get your way on the table and that's what Fear of the Darkness does. Against foes where that doesn't work, he's just a fast force weapon and mediocre psychic power nullifier, buffing the background of the unit. The Drop Pods themselves provide a valuable service in that I can take the fight to someone who needs to be taken in assault, and against someone who's shooting and not able to do so while moving, I can put a huge line of sight blocking construct in their fire path, denying them those shots, while not having to waste shots on them myself (if they're not an important target early on). I have 32 marines on the board, and once the Pods come down, even if they come down one at a time, they're all right since they're not quite alone with ranged support and the ability to deploy opposite of the Pod. That's another 24 marines coming down to bulk up and apply pain where it's needed `now.' The list is for playing standard missions and it's meant for anything level of play; I expect escalation. Winning standard missions isn't about killing the enemy always. Often times, it's just about having a scoring unit somewhere specific and your opponent not having something. Once my Pods come down, anything that loses good line of sight is set to move, even at the expensive of not shooting. The land speeders are not a good target choice for my opponent and they generally lurk. They're there for pot-shots and last turn 24" moves that can put me on the objective or in the quarter, or where I need to be generally. It gives me a hidden burst of mobility from something that seems so worthless, hiding all the time. That and killing 56 marines isn't as simple as it may seem. So, we break scoring units that are mobile, ignore those that are stationary and guard our own mobile scoring units or reserve them and take what we need in the end.

Weakness:

The main weaknesses that Iíve experienced playing a large variety of opponents are mainly two. One is that it's not built to be great in every single standard mission. It's built to be better at others, and I simply swallow the odd ball chance to get the one that I'm not hot in. This greatly depends on the opponent army type, but typically Recon is the worst because I'll be pretty much requiring my Land Speeders to win that for me (and they must survive to do this). My opponent can notice this, and go for them. It doesn't secure their win, but it does keep me from getting the easy win (and big victory points of three scoring units). That's a weakness, requiring those particular fragile hulls to live 6 turns. The other main weakness, is simply taking on the extreme arch type armies. I have a good array of weapons to take on things like heavy Terminators and various Monstrous Creatures, but it's not always enough and not as simple as `this gun kills them.' Taking on an extreme horde of 150+ models would be near impossible (such as spamming MadBoyz in a Feral List, or enemy Sea-O-Gaunts). It's not so simple to drop 8 monstrous creatures below scoring level fast enough sometimes (terrain permitting). And taking on an enemy Drop Pod force is just a head ache. While it's a weakness to not be able to take them on so easily, it's expected. And the important thing to remember is, you don't build for every possible encounter. You build for the majority of encounters. Winning a tournament is often times based on the luck of who you face and what mission it is. You're not going to face everyone nor play every mission. So it's not built to fight an extreme arch type army; that's a weakness, but it's an acceptable weakness.

[hr]

And I hope that gives you a little food for thought. Please remember though, the above is only true for me and my play environments. It's different every where you go!

Cheers!
Old 15 Oct 2006, 19:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

[size=14pt]Army Name: The Divine Grace (Death Wing)[/size]

[hr]
[hr]

[HQ]

HQ 1: Chief Librarian Marius Lugdorf (Epistolary): 169 pts.
- Stubborn
- Storm Sheild
- Fear the Darkness
- Fury of the Ancients

HQ 2: Lord Henstridge, Savior of the Fallen (Master of Sanctity): 135 pts.
- Storm Bolter
- Stubborn

[hr]

[ELITES]

Elite 1: Lord Zacharias Nurn, the Everliving (Dreadnought): 130
- Venerable
- Extra Armor

Elite 2: Brother Truwell, Savior of Mycelta III (Dreadnought): 140 pts.
- Twin Linked Las Cannon
- Missile Launcher
- Extra Armor

Elite 3: Tech Magus Victor Metarcheni (Techmarine): 100 pts.

- Storm Bolter
- Stubborn

[hr]

[TROOPS]

Troops 1: The Right Hand of Fate (5 Deathwing Terminators): 265 pts.
- 2 Assault Cannons
- Stubborn

Troops 2: The Emperors Wrath (5 Deathwing Terminators): 275 pts.
- 2 Cyclone Missile Launchers
- Stubborn

Troops 3: The Infinite Truth (5 Deathwing Terminators): 265 pts.

- 2 Assault Cannons
- Stubborn

[hr]

[size=14pt]Army Total: 1479 [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

I chose to take 3 independant characters so that each of my 3 squads could be led into battle.

Lord Henstridge and Marius Lugdorf will both be joined to The Right Hand of Fate and The Infinite Truth respectively. I do that so that if they are assaulted (which most likely your opponent will be trying to do) they have some nasty hand to hand combatants.

Victor Metarcheni is always assigned to The Emperors Wrath so that they might use his signum to help with their cyclone missile launchers. Also since I have over 20 pts left I might also give them Tank Hunters, but that based more on how I feel that day than wether or not I need it.

Lord Zacharias is mainly there to draw fire away from the rest of the army. With his extra armor and venerable status he can survive a lot of firepower. Now, that is not to say that he can't be nasty now and then, I just have learned not to rely on him since most of my opponents feel like he is way too dangerous. In my last 4 games with my Deathwing he has... left this plane of existence by 3rd turn in 3 of them and 4th turn of the other.

Brother Truwell, on the other hand, has not only survived every game that hes been in, but paid for both himself and Lord Zacharias in most games. He has a very simple role in my army: stay at the back hunting tanks and monstrous creatures. When there are no more of either he generally starts taking pot shots at enemy units (with only 2 shots a turn he's not going to do much to enemy troopers... but one dead a turn is one less that I have to deal with).

General Deathwing Tactics:

1. Rule number one, the most important rule for any Deathwing player. Never Get Into Close Combat Unless You Know You Can Win. It might sound stupid, but when I first started playing Deathwing I had a 50% win ratio because of this exact rule. Deathwing have a 2+ normal and a 5+ invulnerable and so many power fists as to make your head hurt. That much power makes you think that your models are invincible. They are not. All it takes is a power fist sergeant or a rending genestealer to make you wish you hadn't assaulted that turn. Your models are way too frail and costly to attempt to hth a carnifex, or wade through a unit of firewarriors. At the very least it will tie up your terminators for a turn, and when your models cost 3-4 times what the cost of one of your opponents troops who do you think is going to feel the pain more: your opponents 2 troops or your one?

2. Know your enemy. Simple really, go onto the other forums and see what tactics the other armies use. Read through the other army codexes to get an idea of what they can and can't do. Remember, knowledge is power. The more of your opponents army that you know, the better you will be able to handle what he throws at you.

3. Always direct as much fire as you can at one unit at a time. Don't ever leave two or three models in one unit alive "because there's nothing that they can do to you". You'd be surprised the number of times that a unit thats only got a few models left will pass their leadership test at the end of your shooting phase and then assault you on their turn, and that forces you back to rule number 1. So what if the other guns in your second unit will be wasted when you're shooting at a squad of guardians and you only need to kill 2. Its better than having them tie you up so nasty Mr. Wraithlord can get into close combat with your squad.

4. Pick the appropriate targets. If your facing a tyranid army and you have a unit of termagaunts that are close enough to assault you next turn and a carnifex that is shooting at you from far enough away that he can't assault you for a couple of turns, you always choose the termagaunts. You can't afford them tying you up until their big buddy can join in the fray.

Those are for the most part just common sense tactics that most armies should follow. However they have to be thought of even more so in a Deathwing army. You can't afford to let even one unit get run over. Every man counts and needs to be played that way.

The next couple of tactics are completely Deathwing only:

5. Drop pods might be safer than just teleporting, but with points at a premium you would be better off just deep striking. When you have to pay 30 pts for a little piece of security, you've already lost. Besides, you shouldn't be deepstriking/drop podding that close to the enemy anyway... see rule number 1.

6. I hate to say it, but teleport homers are a waste of points. If you deepstrike you will not want your terminators to arrive that close to another unit of terminators. It might prevent deviation upon entrance, but you're also setting up a really tempting target for your enemy. And god help you if they have ordinance...

7. Never deepstrike more than half of your army. Personally I usually only choose one unit to deepstrike so that they can attack the rear of the opponents army. But for multiple units teleporting, well it's just too random. I like to have a good amount of control and allowing the dice gods to take that amount of control out of my hands just doesn't sit well with me. It's way too risky to allow that many units to arrive on random turns. And then when they do arrive there isn't any movement to allow them to get into cover or away from the enemies return fire (unless you teleported behind terrain- but that just wastes your shooting for that turn).

8. Unless you are playing well over 2000 pts., Land Raiders are just not worth it. Armor 14 is a lot more vulnerable than one would think, and if you happened to start one of your units inside at the beginning of the game you're just asking for trouble.

9. The only time you should take assault terminators is if you also took a Land Raider Crusader. They are too vulnerable to footslog it across the board, and are pretty much sitting ducks if you deep strike them. The only semi- reliable way to get them into close combat is to deploy them in the Crusader. And since that breaks rules number 1 and 8 I generally try not to take them.

10. Have fun with the Deathwing. If you play Deathwing you will not win every game, there's just no way that can happen. You have too few of numbers and too fragile an army to trounce every opponent that comes your way. If you go into a game expecting to win, you won't. If you go into a game expecting a fun time then you've already won regardless of the outcome.

I have more tactics, but I think I'll keep them as my little secret... Wink . To those that decide to play a Deathwing army because of my little article here, I hope you have a lot of fun, its a very enjoyable army that takes a while to master, but is sooo worth it when you do.

Also as for my naming scheme: I tried to base them off of names that had a germanic flavor and used a couple of references to my old Vampire counts fantasy army. Especially Lord Zacharias who used to be one of my favorite Necarch special characters. I also have a Grand Master that I use occasionally named Darwinus Lysand. Darwinus to represent that he is a evolved form of Lysander (Lysand). When I do take him he has stubborn, Sword of Secrets, Storm Bolter and Adamantine Mantle, and costs 185 pts. Usually I won't take him unless we're playing a 2000 pt or more battle.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 10:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

[size=14pt]Shadow Spectres 3rd Company[/size]

[hr]
Trait advantages: See, but donít be seen and Cleanse and Purify
Trait disadvantage: Eye to eye

[hr]

[HQ]

HQ 1: Commander Master : 140 points
- Pair of Lightning claws, Terminator Honours and a Jump pack

[hr]

[TROOPS]

Troops 1: Tactical squad: 199 points
- Veteran Sergeant with Bolt pistol and Power fist
- 2 Marines with Plasma Gun
- 5 Marines with Bolters
- All have the Infiltrate skill

Troops 2: Tactical squad: 199 points
- 2 Marines with Plasma Gun
- 5 Marines with Bolters

Troops 3: Tactical squad: 115 points
- 1 Marine with Lascannon
- 1 Marine with Plasma gun
- 4 Marines with Bolters

Troops 4: Tactical squad: 115 points
- 1 Marine with Lascannon
- 1 Marine with Plasma gun
- 4 Marines with Bolters

[hr]

[FAST ATTACK]

Fast Attack 1: Assault squad: 206 points
- 7 Marines with Bolt pistols and ccw's
- All have Jump packs and Frag grenades

Fast Attack 2: Assault squad: 206 points
- 7 Marines with Bolt pistols and ccw's
- All have Jump packs and Frag grenades

[hr]

[HEAVY SUPPORT]

Heavy Support 1: Devastator squad : 168 points
- 3 Marines with Missile launchers
- 3 Marines with Bolters

Heavy Support 2: Devastator squad : 153 points
- 3 Marines with Heavy Bolters
- 3 Marines with Bolters

[hr]

[size=14pt]Army Total: 1501 points[/size]

[hr]
[hr]

Army force composition: 100%
1 HQ @ 140 points: 9%
4 Troops @ 628 points: 42%
2 Fast Attack @ 412 points: 28%
2 Heavy Support @ 321 points: 21%

57 Power Armoured models in the army
8 scoring units in the army

[hr]

Army composition:

This is my army list that I use in most of the games I play. This list has had a lot off predecessors, I was always tweaking around, adding things here and there and trying out new type of units. But still the general view I had on the lists always remained the same; Infantry only, the traits, a minimum of 40% troops and things like that. I really like the uniform look this army list has, it looks like a real company of Space Marines. The list has 8 scoring units, 4 units with a (close) assaulting role and 4 units with a shooting role. I chose to have a simple but very effective load out for each of the squads. I always try to keep upgrades and fancy equipment to a minimum. I would rather spend those precious points on more Marines.

Fluff:

I have written a small piece of fluff about the Chapter and the Company, it also provides you with some more information about this army: The Shadow Spectres.

Deployment and Tactics:

Deployment is the key to success. It is vital for this army list that you take good care to find out what the best positions are where you can place the various units. The See, but donít be seen trait gives this list a big advantage with deployment. You only need to deploy the two shooting Tactical squads and the two Assault squads with the Master and then you can wait until the enemy deploys the rest of his army. And after his army is fully deployed you can place the two Devastator squads in prime positions to counter the enemies units with heavy weapon fire. The two other Tactical squads can also be deployed close to the enemy and stand ready to counter any threats to your other squads. The two six men tactical squads form my base along with the two Devastator squads. They provide covering fire and take down the big nasty targets and the fast moving units that threaten my Assault squads. My two Assault squads with the Master use their overwhelming amount off attacks and their fast moving speed to get into Close Combat and take out Infantry squads. The two 8 men Tactical squads are my Jack of all trades, their combat role always varies because it depends on which enemy I face. They can use their Rapid-fire weapons to sit back and shoot or they can close in and use their bodies and Veteran with Powerfist to get in close combat when neccesary. So, I donít really have any special Tactics that I use in every game, I mostly try out new things and see how that goes. You can also check my Space Marines Army Guide.

Advantages and Disadvantages:

57 models in power armour says it all. This list has a really psychological advantage, when people see you unloading the army and they see more and more models getting placed on the board they start to worry. All those models with a 3+ save are so though to take down. Also the amount of heavy weapons this list has is mostly enough to take down the most dangerous enemy units. The Infiltration skill is also a major advantage with deployment. The downsides this list has is that it contains no armoured vehicle whatsoever, no targets which can soak up enemy fire and distract the enemies attention. This also means that the enemies anti-tank weapons will be directed at my normal Space marines, which mostly means they don't have any use of their superior armour save. I also sometimes feel I am lacking some mobility units like Landspeeders to be able to make a last turn dash at an objective.

General Information:

You should remember that every disadvantage has it's advantage and every advantage has it's disadvantage. There is no perfect army list, I just tried to create a army list that is able to take on the majority of enemies I face. There will always be an army that is superior to yours. I think you should just try to create an army list that works for you, use the units that you like. Everyone has their own way of playing the game. And I think the most Important thing that you should always keep in your mind is to have fun!

[size=11pt]"Knowledge is power, guard it well!"[/size]
Stam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2006, 16:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

[size=14pt]Deathwing 1st Company: [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

[HQ]

Epistolary Librarian: Force weapon, Fear + Fury
w/ Command squad: 4 Terminators: 2 assault cannons, Chainfist

[hr]

[ELITES]

2x Dreadnought: assault cannon, stormbolter/ccw,
extra armor, Drop Pod

[hr]

[TROOPS]

2 x 6 Deathwing: 2 assault cannons, Chainfist, Tank Hunters

[FAST ATTACK]

1 x 6 Deathwing: 2 assault cannons, Chainfist

[hr]

[size=14pt]Army Total: 1500 [/size]

[hr]

23 Terminators, 2 Dreads, 2 Drop Pods: 10 assault cannons

Against light vehicles and skimmers tank hunter excells.
The 3 extra shot per heavy weapon all at effective
str 7 with the possibility of rending is efficient against
light vehicles, even more so than two "str 9" shots.
Remember you also adding in your stormbolters. Note that
the armies that use such vehicle en mass are also extremely
susceptible to assault cannons and stormbolters so once you
take out the vehicles you can have a field day with the
infantry.

Each of my units acts independently becuase they can work
very effectively that way. Do not be afraid to spread them out.
They have alot of dakka and their capacity for firepower with
assault cannons and with stormbolters can be withering. They
have good range with the stormbolter, the assault cannon is
plain nasty so always carefully pick out your targets properly.
The cyclone is great, better with tankhunter but I still
prefer the all AC approach.

I refuse to engage with deathwing. I will move my terminators
forward to get my best shots but once in range to assault by
my opponen the next turn, I fall back and shoot the hell
out of him again. I twice played pure world eaters armies.
When I finally did engage them they whittled down to bare
minimum squads. I have 26 models in the table against 50+
with chainaxes so I never charge recklessly. The style of
shoot and disengage is the most effective approach for deathwing.

I always use infantry. I will only use vehicles in friendlies.
I very rarely deep strike. My infantry starts on the table. My
only concession are my two AC/Strombolter/CCW drop pod dreads.
I do not drop these guys deep in enemy territory but use them to
back up squads that need help. Avoid trying to beat Tau by
depstriking your whole force down their throat. I tried it once.
I was lucky to come away with a draw. Your Libby w/ FoA and FotD
will take care of Tau nicely so position him effectively.

These guys are durable but not indestructible so you need to use
squads of six ( best for VP points ) and hide them in cover well.

Here is what to remember ...
The best piece of tactical advice
is to always soften up the enemy before charging ...
Alwaysd try and shoot your way out of difficult
situations first.

Since rending was introduced into 4th edition I have yet to lose with this configuration ...
I have beaten world eaters, tau, tyranids and various chaos and sm lists. It sounds boastful, I know. Right now the army has been expanded to 1700 + points for an ongoing campaign and is on loan to my best friend. He is 3-0 so far with it.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2006, 21:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This is my other tournament army ...

The Unclaimed

They do not know where their gene-seed came from. No one does but the Adeptus Mechanicus and they keep it secret and demand their tithes. Among the speculations of other chapters is the notion that they were made from a lost Primarch. However, the Chapter itself states that this is wrong, very loudly and passionately... almost as though they have something to hide. It remains a mystery. We do know that the gene-seed is pure and of great value but The Unclaimed vehemently refute and deny they are one of the First Founding Legions despite much speculation by other chapters as they seek an explantion to understand the purity of the chapter. Their chapter does not know where it came from or who its initial Primarch was but their gene-seed is remarkably pure and they take pains to keep it that way. Performing the rites of the Emperor's Peace is a high honour for the apothecaries of the chapter. Great care is taken and much ceremony performed when the progenoid genes are removed from the chest and throat. These secret rites and ceremonies are unique to their chapter and differ from those performed by others. They guard the secrets of their rites fiercely. They go to battle without allies and unlike the many chapters of the empire never take artifacts and relics or use any members of the First Company. Their most revered heroes are the apothecaries of the chapter.

They have a sacred mission to harvest gene-seed for the creation of new chapters. Without the knowledge of known parentage in their records, The Unclaimed seek solace in becoming parents themselves. They have a long list of the chapters which have come from their own gene-seed and are justifiably proud of their accomplishments and their seed has been used as well by the AdMech on Mars and Terra to bolster and repair their own stock. Although it might be that the Unclaimed were created in one of the subsequent foundings, even they do not know from whom and for what reason. Yet their gene-seed is remains pure. They fight with the emblem of the eagle on their chests but many feel this was added to their battlesuits at a later date in an attempt on their part to conceal the roots of their true heritage and keep the mysteries of their dark past hidden. Non-the-less they are fearsome in battle, falling from the skies in their gore red suits and cleansing and purifying the planets they attack.

Their homeworld long ago was lost in mystery, Without a homeworld and their history lost in time for reasons never spoken, The Unclaimed live on a battle barge devoted to the study of gene-seed known as The Helix Narthecium. The Helix Narthecium is always escorted by smaller barges and strike cruisers issue from these barges and the Unclaimed drop from the skies in their pods to attack the enemies of the empire. In the Sanctum Aesculapius aboard the Helix Narthecium, the apothecaries of the chapter store the sacred geneseed and it is here that the apothecaries inject the seed into new recruits. The records of the chapters seed are carefully guarded and maintained and the neophytes progress monitored carefully.

The Unclaimed are jealous of their seed and actively recruit neophytes to slowly expand their own chapter. They take in healers and wanderers - people with nothing to leave behind as their most common recruits. They make ideal apothecaries and they can relate to the chapter's feelings over their lost world. Because they have no planetary fortress, they draw their potential recruits from the planets they pass over looking for the best neophytes available to expand their chapter. No one knows their route through the planetary systems or why they choose one planet over another, but it is speculated by some that they have records of the gene-seed of many worlds and choose those whose seed is best suited for their needs. All of these speculations remain unsubstantiated by the Unclaimed and their secrets are yet to be revealed outside their chapter.

Advanatages
Purity Above All
Cleanse and Purify

Disadvantages
Aspire to Glory
We Stand Alone

HQ

Epistolary Salvio
with force weapon, frags ccw, Fury and Fear
Perpetro Helix, command squad
command squad with 4 bp&ccw, 2 meltagunners, apothecary,
vet serg with fist, drop pod

Troops

Immotus Helix,
tac squad - 2 plasma, 5 bolters, apothecary with power fist and drop pod

Purus Helix,

Purgatio Helix,

Orbis Helix,
tac squad - 2 meltas, 5 bolters, Vet sarg with power fist and drop pod

Fast Attack

Land Speeder AC Tornado - 80
Land Speeder Ac Tornado - 80
Land Speeder AC Tornado - 80

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this is the gay apothecary list made famous by relic forums. I've been using it for over one year.

Points to remember
- You will not always get all the pods to drop at the same time. This can
cause some problems but this list is all about deployment. Your opponent
will set up first of course. You need to attempt to cut the board off. Use the
pods as terrain and take on half his army at a time.
- Make sure your apothecaries
are bunched together nicely. You will get the opportunity to make many saves.
- use those speeders to finish off weakened squads and keep them moving
Assault cannons will take down any troops. Remember to use them as three
seperate fast attack slots.
- remember that although an apothecary cannot make a save in H2H he can
make a save within 6" of a squad in H2H. This is often overlooked.
- use those melta giunners to take down MCs and tanks as primary
targets.
- drop pods will lose you 125 VP points the moment they are deployed. For
the great tactical advantage of pods we pay a price. Therefore its imperative to come out both guns blazing. Use your pods to take objectives and hide behind a wall of them. Double tap those plasmas.

These types of lists can be quite devestating. I've found with practice that if
bunched and deployed properly it becomes very difficult to take them apart.
Tau, other SM, terminators, etc., are your easiest forces to confront.
Horde armies can be hard.

Now Deathwing can be a bit difficult for beginners. With so few models, mistakes are costly and I've seen players give up hope too quicly not realizing that you can come back against tremendous odds even outnumbered 3 or 4 to 1. Drop pod lists are much more forgiving. I've loane this army out a few times and someonepicking it up for the frst time quickly learns to use it.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2006, 03:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to kreative

[size=14pt]Army Name: Pyrohammers Combat Patrol [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

[HQ]

HQ 1: Chaplain Samuel: 86 Points
- Reclusiarch
- Crozius Arcanum
- Rosarius
- Bolt Pistol

[hr]

[ELITES]

[hr]

[TROOPS]

Troops 1: Squad Galbet: 157 Points
- 5 marines with close combat weapons and bolt pistols
- 2 marines with flamers
- Vet. Sarg. Galbet with Power weapon, Bolt pistol

Troops 2: Squad Kortper: 157 Points
- 5 marines with Close Combat Weapons and Bolt Pistols
- 2 Marines with flamers
- Vet. Sarg. Kortper with Power weapon, Bolt Pistol

[hr]

[FAST ATTACK]

[hr]

[HEAVY SUPPORT]

[hr]

[size=14pt]Army Total: 400 Points [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

NOTE: I used the traits cleanse and purify, Take the fight to them, and Faithful unto Death with my Pyrohammers.

[hr]
[size=10pt]Fluff[/size]
[hr]
"Going into the atmosphere of Medusa V, we went through a warp storm which we believe was conjured by the forces of chaos because of the effects it had on my troopers. After landing, I discovered that the majority of the troop ships were destroyed or had no survivors in them. I had a count of the marines alive, and our ammo stock. a total came in of 57 marines, and very limited ammo, we would have to use them wisely. I ordered my men to dig in and fortify our position, and to prepare for the worst." - WIP Medusa V fluff, Brother-Chaplain Samuel.

So this force represents the significantly underpowered force Samuel had left with him on Medusa V. He used his men in combat patrols, so if he lost, he wouldn't lose them all at once. They worked with great tactics behind it, helping out some army's by attacking a fraction of the main enemy force, and hunted down fleeing remains of other army's.

Also, the basic idea of the Pyrohammers is that they are a Salamanders successor chapter, thus all the flamers. They are more combat orientated though, as you could probably tell. I have been writing up some stuff and hoping to get it posted up on the site soon.
[hr]
[size=10pt]Army Composition[/size]
[hr]
This is the list I used for all my Medusa V games, and they were all this combat patrol. I was just getting started with my space marines, and threw in a chaplain to use up the points. Plus chaplains have some pretty cool rules comming with them.

My HQ took up 22% of the army, and troops the other 78%. I decided to arm all units in the army for close combat, as with the few troops I had, I thought if I split them up into half shooty half assalty, they wouldn't work as good.
[hr]
[size=10pt]Deployment[/size]
[hr]
Deployment for this army was simple, I basically put them all in one clump together so they could work almost like one big squad. I also tryed deploying them in a position so I could get to close combat faster, avoiding most terrain if possible. I kept my chaplain in the back of the huge mess, and when I got closer to the enemy, I moved him into a unit that was ready for a charge.
[hr]
[size=10pt]Advantages and Disadvantages[/size]
[hr]
Advantages

This army has a huge close combat punch. I have 3 power weapons, each getting at least 3 attacks. These took care of the enemy's which had good armour saves in close combat. Then I also had my 4 flamers, which really helped out before the charge, I was happy with how they preformed in my games.

The chaplain also added some cool effects to the game, like the fearless rule under circumstances, and the re-rolls, which helped a lot.

Disadvantages

After my first game I realised this is a hit or miss army, meaning it does have its disadvantages. They include:

Lack of Shooting: I realised shooting helps a lot to soften the enemy before the charge, and it's good to have a balance between shooty and assalty in a army. This I did not have, and what cost me a few of my games.

Chaplain: Even though the Chaplain did really good, he was a huge points sink, especially in this point level. If I had more models painted at the time, I would probably have taken this guy out to add a unit with bolter's and a multi-melta.

Lack of Anti-Tank: This army has no real anti tank power. I played only one game against a tank, and that was the only thing to live, and it did lots of damage. It was annoying trying to sneak to the tanks back to try and hit the back armour. The lack of anti tank only hampered me this one game, and I would think it wouldn't be much of a problem over time, as in this amount of points in my area, not many people use tanks.
[hr]
[size=10pt]General Information[/size]
[hr]
This army played a total of 6 games during the Medusa V campaign. I won 50% of these and lost the other half. Seeing how this list was built more on fluff, and looking at most of the disadvantages, I am quite happy with how these guys preformed. Also, I played to have fun so that might have effected the results, but I don't care, I did have fun, and that's all that should count.

Thanks to timjim for the great banner!
kreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2006, 21:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Succesful Space Marine Army lists

[size=12pt]Army Name: Knights Angelic Drop Pod Assault[/size]

Traits: Trust Your Battle Brothers, Cleanse and Purify, Eye to Eye, Death Before Dishonour[sup]1[/sup]

HQ
Epistolary @180 [sup]2[/sup]
. Bolt Pistol
. Frag Grenades
. Terminator Honours
. Iron Halo
. Fear of the Darkness
. Might of Heroes
. TYBB
Command Squad @219
Sergeant
. Bolter
. Power Fist
. TYBB
6x Space Marines
. 4x Bolters
. 2x Plasma Guns
. 6x TYBB
Apothecary
. Bolter
Drop Pod @30

HQ Subtotal: 414

Elite
Dreadnought @120 [sup]3[/sup]
. Heavy Flamer
. Extra Armour
Drop Pod @30

Dreadnought @120
. Heavy Flamer
. Extra Armour
Drop Pod @30

Elite Subtotal: 300

Troops
Tactical Squad @199 [sup]4[/sup]
Sergeant
. Bolter
. Power Fist
. TYBB
7x Marines
. 5x Bolters
. 2x Plasma Guns
. 7x TYBB
Drop Pod @30

Tactical Squad @199 [sup]5[/sup]
Sergeant
. Bolter
. Power Fist
. TYBB
7x Marines
. 5x Bolters
. 2x Melta Guns
. 7x TYBB
Drop Pod @30

Tactical Squad @199
Sergeant
. Bolter
. Power Fist
. TYBB
7x Marines
. 5x Bolters
. 2x Melta Guns
. 7x TYBB
Drop Pod @30

Troops Subtotal: 687

Fast Attack
Lanspeeder @80 [sup]6[/sup]
. Assault Cannon

Fast Attack Subtotal: 80

Army Grand Total: 1496

Army Notes
[sup]1[/sup]: Cleanse and Purify is pretty obvious; double special weapons for podders is ideal.
Trust Your Battle Brothers is a personal bit. I like it since it effectively doubles the casualties dealt by my marines, and prevents my opponent from 'clipping' my squads and close-combat sniping my sarge. In addition, it's a great way to get my Librarian into base contact.
Eye to Eye is pretty simple; it's often the best major drawback and there's only one speeder squad anyway.
Death Before Dishonour is a personal thing; it can be swapped out with something else pretty easily if you want.
[sup]2[/sup]: The Librarian is a bit pricey, since during the recent revision of this list, I had a few points left over. Pretty basic 'Striking Fear' set-up, you can check out the tactica I wrote recently
The Command Squad is also pretty basic. Sergeant with a fist (that I can use MoH on if necessary), double plasmas and an apothecary to save them from blowing themselves up ("Loud end towards the enemy.").
[sup]3[/sup]: This is my favorite way to deploy a Dreadnought. In this setup, they have fearsome anti-infantry firepower (pretty easily capable of wiping out entire 4+ save squads), and can punch a whole in things.
[sup]4[/sup]: Double plasmas for MEq's, so basically anti-heavy infantry.
[sup]5[/sup]: Without any other real anti-tank, these guys hunt them. Great at taking down that hidden Basilisk or Defiler. Otherwise, same as the plas squad.
[sup]6[/sup]: Nice little anti-infantry stickler. I usually end up just hiding it for the first few turns, since Deep Striking a speeder is risky and not as worth it anymore.

Deployment
I play a game of rock-paper-scissors. Your opponent has a brutal infantry killing squad with little anti-tank? Throw a Dreadnought its way. See that tank? Melta Squad. Hello Hive Tyrant; plas and force weapon.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2007, 14:14   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default Re: Successful Space Marine Army lists

[size=20pt]The Fists of Flame[/size]
[hr]
Assault Based, Take on All Comers list, 1,000 point list

[hr]
[size=15pt]HQ[/size]

[size=12pt]Librarian Mars Aran - 120 points[/size]
Wargear: Psychic hood, force axe and plasma pistol.
Psychic Powers: Might of heroes
Tactical Uses: Mars Aran is there to bolster the fighting abilities of a unit, or to character hunt for himself.
Alternative Units: You may wish to change the Librarian to a Chaplain in your army.

[hr]
[size=15pt]Elites[/size]

[size=12pt]Dreadnought Aftgang - 117 points[/size]
Weapons/Upgrades: Assault cannon, Dreadnought close combat weapon and heavy flamer
Tactical Uses: Aftgang is designed to compliment and bolster the attacking power of the Fists of Flame Chapter. He may be used to draw fire and is there to be highly mobile gun platform, keeping up with the tactical squads.

[size=12pt]Venerable Dreadnought Hueran - 135 points[/size]
Weapons/Upgrades: Assault cannon, Dreadnought close combat weapon and storm bolter
Veteran Skill: Furious charge
Tactical Uses: Heuran is designed to compliment and bolster the attacking power of the Fists of Flame Chapter. He may be used to draw fire and is there to be highly mobile gun platform, keeping up with the tactical squads. He is the major anti-Dreadnought deterant, using the furious charge ability to charge and thus strike first before other Dreadnoughts.

[hr]
[size=15pt]Troops[/size]

[size=12pt]Tactical Squad - 195 points[/size]
Squad: 8 Space Marines and Veteran Sergeant
Weapons: Bolt pistols and close combat weapon. One meltagun
The Veteran Sergeant has a bolt pistol, combat shield and power fist.
Tactical Uses: This squad is intended to advance upon the enemy, poping any transport which stray too close using their meltagun. I chose the meltagun because it's an assault weapon and the unit is large to enable it to survive the inevitable trek up the battlefield after those dangerous tanks.

[size=12pt]Tactical Squad - 190 points[/size]
Squad: 9 Space Marines and Veteran Sergeant
Weapons: Bolt pistols and close combat weapon. One meltagun
The Veteran Sergeant has a bolt pistol, combat shield and power axe.
Tactical Uses: This squad is intended to advance upon the enemy, poping any transport which stray too close using their meltagun. I chose the meltagun because it's an assault weapon and the unit is large to enable it to survive the inevitable trek up the battlefield after those dangerous tanks.

[size=12pt]Scout Squad - 119 points[/size]
Squad: 6 Scouts and Veteran Sergeant
Weapons: Bolt pistol and close combat weapons. The Veteran Sergeant has a power fist.
Tactical Uses: This squad is there to harrash and counter-attack other units and to act as a speed dump for other Assault based armies. They may also be used to bolster the fighting strength of your attack.

[size=12pt]Scout Squad - 139 points[/size]
Squad: 8 Scouts
Weapons: Sniper rifles.
Tactical Uses: This unit is there to provide covering fire and to attempt to pin those pesky non-fearless units.

[hr]
Total Points = 1,000 points

Deployment
This army relies upon it's speed and assault power to do it's damage to the enemy. Therefore careful use of cover and deploying as close to the enemy are crucial. Careful thought must be used when using the scouts, especially if the mission uses infiltrators. You should aim to get the scouts with the CCW's and Bolt pistols close enough to the enemy to pose a threat, but not far enough away from your main line troops to leave the scouts out in no-mans land alone. Therefore I'd recommending placing the scouts about 8"-10" away from your lines, so that if the worst comes to the worst and your scouts get charged on the first turn, they'll be counter-attacked in the 1st turn by your main line troops.

The Dreadnoughts could be used, depending upon your opponents estimated firepower, to either act as moving cover for your main troops, or if the enemy firepower is too much for the Dreads to handle, place them behind the main line troops to act as counter-attacking units.
FTyross is offline   Reply With Quote