Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deadly Deathwing of death!!!
Closed Thread
Old 07 Sep 2006, 07:57   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Deadly Deathwing of death!!!

Hey all. I've been playing space marines for a little over a year and am ready for a change. I realized that I have the models to make a 2250 point Deathwing list, so I thought I would give them a try. Be gentle.

HQ
Master
Lightning claws
Lion helm

Command squad x5
assault cannons x2

Reclusiarch

ELITE

Dreadnought
multi-melta
drop pod
extra armor

Dreadnought
missile launcher
lascannon
extra armor

Siege Dreadnought
extra armor
smoke launchers

TROOPS

Assault terminators x5
Storm Shields and thunderhammers all

Assault terminators x5
Lightning claws all
furious charge

Terminator squad x5
cyclone missile launchers x2
tank hunters

HEAVYS

Land Raider
extra armor
smoke launchers

Crusader
smoke launchers

There you have it, baby's first Deathwing. The Chaplain will join the lightning claw squad in the crusader, while the thunder hammers occupy the other raider. I'll probably drop the dreads and raiders in lower point games. I face almost every army, but I will probably use this list with great discretion. Comments and critiques are welcome.

He who seeks revenge digs two graves.
Old 07 Sep 2006, 10:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Deadly Deathwing of death!!!

A very interesting list, to say the least. I'm gonna give you a lot of credit, as most deathwing players (myself included) would never build their army to look like that.

But, I have a few questions now.

1. Whats a siege dreadnought? I'm assuming forgeworld, so you'll have to have your opponents permission, but since your over 2000 pts that shouldn't be a problem either way.

2. Two squads of assault terminators? Most Deathwing players would go only one, and even then they would be hesitant. The chaplain joining the one squad is actually a good idea, just be aware that the 2 land raiders will most likely be priority 1 to your opponent. And if that happens, then also be aware that your 2 assault squads probably will not make it to hth before dying.

3. Why a master? I know that the only way to get the Lion Helm is to buy one, but is it really worth it? Actually now that I've rechecked my Dark Angels codex and the online Dark Angel FAQ, I can say its not. The Lion Helm may not be taken by a master in terminator armor (no asterisk next to it, and not corrected in the FAQ), sorry.

4. And lastly, why on your first dreadnought are you taking a multi melta? Is it something that you've already modeled, or do you think you need more anti tank? This is the one thing I would personally change first, as either the assault cannon or another las/missile would be better.
Old 08 Sep 2006, 01:45   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hey Howl. To answer most of your questions, I kinda just threw every thing in there to see what would stick.

As someone who has faced three A14 vehicles on numerous occasions, I know what a pain in the rear they can be. Also, they armies I will play w/ this army will have hard times indeed... I hope.

Your right about the siege nought. Its armed with an inferno cannon, and is hella cool. I have used it with permission many a time, and its golden!

The multi nought can be changed, and you're most likely correct. But its different, I have it, and just might work...

Are you suggesting I take a captain, or drop the unit all together?

Thanks for your help. And by interesting, do you mean bad?

Old 08 Sep 2006, 02:37   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I find that Assault Cannons are better than Multimeltas in terms of killing tanksing (with their rending rule). Also with a Drop pod, chances are that you would want to DS behind a tank, so the Melta would be somewhat wasted. So I would go for the standard AC dread.
Old 08 Sep 2006, 02:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

With the current FAQ you don't have to have a commander leading your deathwing. And with all the deathwing having a high leadership and being stubborn you don't have to relie on his special rule. Thats why a lot of deathwing players have turned to using chaplains and librarians instead. Theres nothing wrong with using a master.

Basically don't drop the squad, just maybe attach it to a librarian instead.

And by interesting, yeah its not a competitive list. Between you and your friends you should be able to have a lot of fun and win some. But take that list to a tournament and you will get stomped. I hate to say that because I actually like your list, but the assault terminators are too slow on their own and cost too many points mounted in a land raider.

The multimelta dread might be a little better put in a drop pod. That way it has an easier time getting where the half range of the multimelta kicks in. I actually thought it was really cool that someone took it. Its a little weird not seeing the same cookie cutter version, but in a good way.

Congratulations for going against the grain, and thank you for making my day.
Old 09 Sep 2006, 00:25   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well, I usually get stomped anyway(with good lists, no less), so no change there!! I just wanted to make sure everything was legal. Thanks for the great advice!

Closed Thread