Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Doing 13th Company - Help Please
Closed Thread
Old 05 Sep 2006, 08:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Kais
Default Doing 13th Company - Help Please

Ok, here we are. Ive pretty well finished my IG army as far as i can be bothered to take it, I've been collecting them for a long time and the same army does tend to get boring after a while.

If you dont want to listen to me babbling on, what im looking for is general tactics for a CC based army, as the only army ive ever done is IG

I decided upon a 13th company army because i wasnted something totalyl opposite to IG, and something that had a sinister feel to it, yet not quite Chaos, so 13th Company fit that role perfectly. But this is where I decided to add the twist which will make playing them more difficult - To give my commander Mark Of The Wulfen wich, aswell as giving him extra attacks, also means he can field Wulfen as troops and may only take the other options as Elites (forgive me if im slightly wrong, i dont have a dex handy).

Now here's what im asking, for my 500pt-750pt army which is under construction, how am I to use them tactically? My troops cant shoot at all, but will shred most in CC, my Commander is about as nasty in CC as you get short of Thirsters.

The General List (not finalized or even written with points as it's just a rough guide)

HQ

Lord
Mark of the Wulfen
Bike
Power Fist
Plasma Pistol

Bike Retinue (3 bikes)
2 Power Fists
Power Sword
Meltagun

Troops

5 Wulfen

5 Wulfen

[hr]

As you may gather, the Commander and his bikes are my anti-tank for the small games and also privide much needed mobility.

Please correct me if i have made any mistakes, it is a help thread.

-BleaK/Kais

>>Latest Sig<<
Old 05 Sep 2006, 15:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Doing 13th Company - Help Please

WOO! 13th copany are an awesome and unique list. They've got really really hard core troops but they don't have a lot in the numbers or tank busting departments.

A few things to look at for starters

1- A wulfen lord is a terror. He will kill whole squads in combat. Keeping him on the bike gives him some needed speed. Personally I'd give him a frost blade over a powerfist. The powerfist wastes his intitive of 5, and with a frost blade he has a nice happy strength of 5, which is great unless you're fighting a dreadnought.

2 - his retinue is illegal. Only two models can have EITHER melta guns or power fists/weapons.

3 - Wulfen are super cool. They're combat monsters and people should rightly fear them; HOWEVER they're not a good troops choice. They can shred infantry in combat but that's about it. Monstrous creatures, tanks and dreadnoughts will eat them. Not to mention they have absolutley ZERO shooting cability.

Instead of taking Wulfen as troops I would STRONGLY urge you to take Grey Slayers. For 21 points a peice these are some of the meanest troops in the game. They've got a boatload of special rules (Seriously they have like 3/4 of the USR's!) and an excellent statline.

Remember if your lord has mark of the Wulfen he MAY take wulfen as troops, he doesn't have too!

Finally there's no reason to make the bike squad a retinue, you may as well keep 'em seperate from your lord, at least until higher points levels where you might need that extra fast attack slot (3 squads of Fenrisian wolves!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 10 Sep 2006, 12:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I had a check up on my Dex and this is the More detailed list of what i plan for the very near future (obviousley thsi will expand).

HQ

Wolf Lord (Compulsary)
Frost Blade + Plasma Pistol
Meltabombs
Mark of the Wulfen
Bike
Runic Charm

Storm Claws Bike pack (Retinue)
1 CCW
1 Power Fist
1 meltagun

Troops

Wulfen Pack of 5

Wulfen Pack of 5

Total: 553 points

Quote:
1- A wulfen lord is a terror. He will kill whole squads in combat. Keeping him on the bike gives him some needed speed. Personally I'd give him a frost blade over a powerfist. The powerfist wastes his intitive of 5, and with a frost blade he has a nice happy strength of 5, which is great unless you're fighting a dreadnought.
Taking this advice, ive given him the blade, and his retinue had the power fist and meltagun for anti-tank purposes in small games

Quote:
Remember if your lord has mark of the Wulfen he MAY take wulfen as troops, he doesn't have too!
#

If a Wolf Lord in a 13th Company army takes mark of The Wulfen then he may not take Grey Slayers as a troops choice.

As for the bike squad, Im not totally decided on it being a retinue or a seperate squad, the only thing im worried about is concentrated fire taking down my lord before he reaches combat.

Thanks for the advice

-Bleak

>>Latest Sig<<
Old 11 Sep 2006, 21:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by laK [Formerly Kais

Quote:
#

If a Wolf Lord in a 13th Company army takes mark of The Wulfen then he may not take Grey Slayers as a troops choice.

As for the bike squad, Im not totally decided on it being a retinue or a seperate squad, the only thing im worried about is concentrated fire taking down my lord before he reaches combat.

Thanks for the advice

-Bleak
Actually the phrasing on the mark of the wulfen and the wolf lord is something to the effect of

"If the Wolf Lord takes mark of the wulfen then he may select Wulfen as a troops choice. If he does so then Grey Slayers may not be taken at all"

So you can indeed have a wulfen lord and Grey Slayers, it just means Wulfen need to be an elites choice.

Right now you only have 4 guns in your army so I would recomend those grey Slayers.

As for worrying about your Lord getting shot to pieces, he'll actually be Safer without the Retinue.

Simply keep him behind the bikes and he can't be targeted until they're wiped out!

Just to give you an Idea of a 750 point list here's what I'm planning for my 13th co. Army:

Wolf Lord w/ frost blade, bolt pistol, frag grenades, wolf pelt

6 grey Slayers w/ 2 plasma guns

6 grey Slayers w/ 2 plasma guns

6 grey Slayers w/ 2 melta guns

8 Grey Slayers w/ 2 melta guns, leader w/ powerfist

Models: 27

One of the small Grey Slayer squads could alternativley be replaced with a squad of 6 Wulfen.

It's small, it's shooty and it's got combat punch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 12 Sep 2006, 21:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Now this is the issue i was faced with, as far as it would be much, much easier to take a regular army with Slayers as troops, I wanted to challenge myself with this Mark of The Wulfen on the Lord, the two things this brings to my army is that it makes it unusual and interesting. I have never played a 13th company army, let alone a Wulfen-based one, and besides that, wulfen really are nice.

Thanks very much for your advice, certain parts i will definatley make use of, such as the bikes, but my mind is made up to take a 13th Company army with a core of wulfen.

-BleaK

>>Latest Sig<<
Closed Thread