Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Pyrohammers list (1000 pts)
Closed Thread
Old 31 Aug 2006, 04:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to kreative
Default New Pyrohammers list (1000 pts)

I finally got my first thunder hammer in a bitz order today, so I got right to work and built a thunder hammer wielding captian. So I put together this list following fluff, and the models I have to represent the fluff as much as I can.

[size=14pt]Army Name: Pyrohammers [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

[HQ]

HQ 1: Captian: 145 Points
- Thunder hammer
- Plasma Pistol
- Terminator Honours
- Artificer Armour
- Master Crafted Weapon
- Bionics

[hr]

[ELITES]

Elite 1: Veteran Squad: 224 Points
- 6 marines w/ Bolters, Termy honours, Tank Hunters
- 1 marine w/ Missile Launcher, Termy Honours, Tank Hunters
- 1 vet. Sarge w/ close combat weapon, bolt pistol, bionics, Tank Hunters

[hr]

[TROOPS]

Troops 1: Tactical Squad: 201 Points
- 8 Marines w/ bolt pistols, Close combat weapons
- 1 Marine w/ flamer
- 1 Vet. Sarge. w/ bolt pistol, close combat weapons, bionics, master crafted weapon

Troops 2: Tactical Squad: 201 Points
- 8 Marines w/ bolt pistols, Close combat weapons
- 1 Marine w/ flamer
- 1 Vet. Sarge. w/ bolt pistol, close combat weapons, bionics, master crafted weapon

Troops 3: Tactical Squad: 195 Points
- 7 marines w/ Bolters
- 1 marine w/ flamer
- 1 marine w/ Multi-Melta
- Vet. Sarge. w/ close combat weapon, bolt pistol, bionics, master crafted weapon

[hr]

[FAST ATTACK]

[hr]

[HEAVY SUPPORT]

[hr]

[size=14pt]Army Total: 967 Points [/size]

[hr]
[hr]

Well at this point, your probably thinking I'm crazy 'cuz of the options I took (mainly on vet sarg's). So here's my reasoning.

I took Master Crafter weapons.. even on chainswords.. because I'm following the chapters fluff here. Like the Salamanders, they forge their own personal weapons, so I thought Master Crafting their weapons would be perfect to represent this.

I took bionics not because they have bionical parts in them.. but to show the strength of their armour. Following the same reason above, they would have personalised or made their own suit of power armour, so I wanted to represent it being special... So, the 6+ would just be showing the strength of their armour.

You may also have noticed I took Termy honours on all my ranged veterans. I did this because I thought it would make sense. They are veterans, so they should have something to represent that. Plus, these guys probably will be advancing as soon as all enemy tanks have been taken care of (witch isn't much at my local GW)

So yeah, Will this army work? Have I gone overboard with the equipment? All comments and the such is appreciated.

Thanks to timjim for the great banner!
Old 31 Aug 2006, 06:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Youngy
Default Re: New Pyrohammers list (1000 pts)

First thing, take the plasma pistol off your commander. The chance is too high that he may die from it overheatin.
Next your vet squad should be customised. Not one close combat weapon and one missile launcher. Give it a purpose. Also drop the termy honours and get a assault squad or something. It would do the same job if not better.

7*15=105
drop something else and you will have enought for 5

Old 31 Aug 2006, 15:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngy
First thing, take the plasma pistol off your commander. The chance is too high that he may die from it overheatin.
Next your vet squad should be customised. Not one close combat weapon and one missile launcher. Give it a purpose. Also drop the termy honours and get a assault squad or something. It would do the same job if not better.

7*15=105
drop something else and you will have enought for 5
Lol, I took the plasma pistol 'cuz that's whats on the model, I don't plan on shooting it anyways... and chance to high? I never considered a 1 in 6 change of overheating then failing a 2+ save to be high. And better yet to do that two times ('cuz he has 2 wounds).* :P

About the vet squad.. So your suggesting I drop 1 out of 3 anti tank weapons in my whole army? It's the way their modeled. And they'll take out a tank, then start marching towards the enemy.. that sounds like a purpose to me.

Oh and by the way, you got the points wrong on the termy honours, it's not 15 for each member of the squad, cheek up on the codex 'cuz im not allowed to say it. :\ (Cheek the Vet. Squad enrty, not the armoury)

Meh, if other people bring up the points you did, then I might change it. Thanks for the reply!

Old 03 Sep 2006, 21:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

your army got tanks in there fluff(not to familiar with salamanders)?well it looks good.Keep you anti tank or you are screwed if you face a tank,anti tank is a must.seems like you will be doing a lot of shooting and assualting.Get at least an 8 man assault squad with(since your doing something with salamanders I do no they love meltas and flamers) take 2 flamers(if you feel like chancing it 2 plasma pistols) and give your assaultsquad vetsgt a thunder hammer and sheild to keep with the fluff. ;D
Old 03 Sep 2006, 23:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yea, I was thinking about adding an assalt squad, but that will prob be in my 1500 pt list.. at this points level I wouldnt know what to take out, plus i don't want just one unit racing ahead. In 1500 pts I can easily fit 2 squads.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Old 04 Sep 2006, 02:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngy
The chance is too high that he may die from it overheatin.
Uhhh, not really when you look at it.

Assuming that he wont stay still and shoot the pistol twice he has a 1.66% chance of overheating
Then with his Artificer armour he also has that 1.66% chance of failing
then he has his bionics(not as great but still) 83.33% chance of failing
Then He has 2 wounds left.

Personally I would take my chances with the plasma pistol, although I have taken wounds before, despite the daunting odds of this actually happening.

I like your fluff and think It would fit your army very well. the only problem i see is if they're called the prohammers, why is there only one thunder hammer??
Old 04 Sep 2006, 03:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

No... Then he's got 1 wound left - he's not a Master, just a Captain. It's also not 1.6%, but 16.6%.

Overall, there's a 2.3% chance for the pistol to do a wound.

I'd rather have a power weapon, to be honest. Sure, your Hammer is good and powerful, but that doesn't matter if you get squished before you swing it! With a power weapon, you can use it against lighter enemies, such as GEQs and Firewarriors. Then, you can use the hammer against things that are already faster than you.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 04 Sep 2006, 04:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thengir, King of the Russ
the only problem i see is if they're called the prohammers, why is there only one thunder hammer??
Mhmm, I've only had the chance to order one in, so there it is, as soon as I get more, I'll throw more into the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Y Montyr
I'd rather have a power weapon, to be honest. Sure, your Hammer is good and powerful, but that doesn't matter if you get squished before you swing it! With a power weapon, you can use it against lighter enemies, such as GEQs and Firewarriors. Then, you can use the hammer against things that are already faster than you.
I see your point, the only thing is that I'm going to stick to the fluff with my army and have a thunderhammer. Plus, it looks way cooler. I'll just make him tank hunt or character hunt.
[hr]
Oh yea guys, I think now we all know that it's a very small chance of a captian with artificer armour dieing from a plasma pistol shot, so lets just drop it.

Old 04 Sep 2006, 06:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think you misunderstand me. I meant to have the thunder hammer, as well as a power weapon. My suggestion was to drop the pistol.

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
Old 04 Sep 2006, 21:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ah, I totally misunderstood you, sorry.

I like that idea now, Could be helpful. I'll see what I can do modeling wise.

Closed Thread