Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

DA Army: How should I start?
Closed Thread
Old 06 Aug 2006, 09:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default DA Army: How should I start?

I'm hoping to make a VER shooty DA army with few heavy units like dreads termies and tanks. I'd also like to get in on some of those sweet Ravenwing units. Do you have any ideas of how I should get started?

Chimeras Forever!
Old 06 Aug 2006, 12:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: DA Army: How should I start?

it all depends on how shooty... do you want the tourney cheesecake 6 man las plas or do you want the fluffy 10 man squad with plasma cannon plas?

Also, how many points do you want to go to? are we talking about collecting enough to cover 3000+ (that way you have enough to pick and choose for smaller battles) or do you just want to go to 1850 (average tournament) and be done with it.

Dark angels are a lot of fun (for me at least) and one of the shootier marines lists you can take, with the vanilla traited marines being first I think (the one that lets you take devastators as elites). plus with the stubborn and intractable rule we are the only marine list that never will fall back under any circumstances (although black templar have been known to fall forward).
Old 06 Aug 2006, 14:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I like DA due to their fluff and charcterfull rules and a such fluff is always the best way to go, but if I can win the odd game I wouldn't mind.

I especialy like the ravenwing rules so I'd love to take some of thier landspeeders, but I'd like to keep the army with as many troops as possible. Also I'm aiming at the 1000 points mark to start off, but 1500 isn't out of my short term aims either. It just means that I'll have to wait longer before I can game with them.

Basically I'm thinking of a couple of squads of Tacticals, 1 dread, a couple of flights of ravenwing speeders and either a pred or a devestator squad. That's sort of the preliminary thoughts on the matter.

As for fluff, they aren't actually the DA, but rather a chaptor that uses their rules and are patroling around the Maelstrom against pirate bases, CSMs and DE.

So in summary as shooty as possible without compromising the fun of the game (ie full 10man squads), 1000 points preferably to start with (but 1.5k is also okay) and a few land speeders for fluff.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Chimeras Forever!
Old 06 Aug 2006, 16:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Alright, I threw together a quick list. not entirely fluffy, and will need some tactics to win, but not a bad list either. At the very least it should give you a heads up on which way to go with your army, as I feel you should make your army your own instead of just copying someone elses.

1000 pt. Dark Angels:

Captain w/ terminator honors, storm bolter, close combat weapon, stubborn (automatically comes with it) - 86 pts. (I could have gone cheaper, but only by about 3 pts so I figured what the heck)

Dreadnought w/ extra armor - 110 pts.

Tactical squad alpha (10 strong) w/ missile launcher, plasmagun, veteran sergeant with hidden powerfist - 200 pts.

Tactical squad beta (10 strong) w/ missile launcher, plasmagun, veteran sergeant with hidden powerfist - 200 pts.

Ravenwing Landspeeder Tornado - 80 pts.

Devastator squad omega (7 strong) w/ 4 missile launchers - 185 pts.

Predator Annihilator w/ heavy bolter sponsons and extra armor - 135 pts.

Total: 996 pts.

total model count: 31 (including 3 vehicles and 28 men)

should do ok even without a good tactical acumen, and with the right tactics you could win against a lot of different armies. Although I would get some heavy bolters for your tactical squads so that you can trade out against certain armies.
Old 06 Aug 2006, 17:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks a lot for that. I was busy struggling with a similar list, but yours is way more effective.
This is what I got:

Captain w/ terminator armour, storm bolter, powerweapon, stubborn - 110 pts
Dread as standard - 105 pts
9 man Tac squad with missile launcher - 145
9 man Tac squad with missile launcher - 145
2 RW Landspeeders Assaultcannon/HB - 160
4 Devestators 4 HB - 165
4 Devestators 4 HB - 165

Total: 995 pts.

As you can see yours works out quite a bit better. Yours allows for a bit more tactical flexibility.

Thanks for all of the help.

Chimeras Forever!
Closed Thread