Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My go at a 500pt list of Marines
Old 04 Aug 2006, 18:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default My go at a 500pt list of Marines

I'm just curious on how this list would do in a normal game.

Traits: Take the fight to them
Drawbacks: We stand alone

HQ: Captan w/ Power Weapon, BP, Combat Shield
= 86pts

Troops: Marine Squad
8 w/ BP and CCW, 1 w/ Flamer, Vet. Sarge w/ Power Fist, BP
= 186pts

Marine Squad
4 w/ Bolters, 1 w/ Rocket Launcher, 1 w/ Plasma Gun
= 110pts

Marine Squad
Same as above
=110pts

Total: 492pts

Please rate and comment.

Thanks in advance

Snowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Black Mage
The sacrament of Dakka can be expressed only by those who have experienced it. It is a holy sacrament (of fire) that states "We are firing our guns at you. Die."
The Canadian Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2006, 20:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn
Default Re: My go at a 500pt list of Marines

Hey Snowbird,

The list looks pretty good actually. You have a cheap, efficient Captain and a good mix of vehicle busting, infantry busting and close combat power.

However, I would suggest that in small games like these, you use the Combat Patrol rules, if you are not already doing so. It just makes the game a little more balanced. Some armies can easily fill the normal 1 HQ and 2 Troop choices in 500 points, before cheesing out on things like Wraithlords and Hammerheads. Things like these are unbalancing in small games, due to the fact that many armies simply cannot deal with them past their expensive, but compulsary troops choices. Combat Patrol simply limits the size of armour and characters you can take, and puts more emphasis on troops and light vehicles.

Using Combat Patrol rules, I would drop the Captain and a single Marine from somewhere, and get 2 standard Heavy Bolter landspeeders. Landspeeders are both fluffy in small battles and effective (at all points levels). You may also want to swap out one of the Missile Launchers for a Heavy Bolter if you think you will be facing more light infantry than tanks. Heavy bolters are also fairly good at taking down light vehicles, such as Sentinels.
charn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2006, 01:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks for he responce Charn. I'm thinking of upgrading to 600pts and to do that, I'll add a Dreadnaught without any upgrades. What do you think?

Snowbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immortal Black Mage
The sacrament of Dakka can be expressed only by those who have experienced it. It is a holy sacrament (of fire) that states "We are firing our guns at you. Die."
The Canadian Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2006, 04:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

HQ seems fine,standard HQ I guess.I didn't know the whole squad could change there bolters to ccw and bolt pistols,I only thought the sgt could.Your last 2 squads seem solid as I use the same config.In general,this is to small and easily mowed over if faced with armys that have some anti marine killing stuff(which shouldnt be more then one or 2 cheap weapons capable of it).

What do you want,mobile,cc,shooty,both?To small in numbers it is.I would take a chaplin in a small game,and a dread with assault cannon,heavy flamer or just the ccw arm and storm bolter with extra armour and if you could afford it smoke launchers.

If not the dread a land speeder tornado with assault cannon and heavy bolter.
Just dont remember that little costing that much and I have a chaplin,2 tac squads,and assault squad and a dread in the list and it is like 500pts.
add more men to the squads,add some anti-infantry...a Heavy bolter would be suited to this my example would be :

Vet sgt w/termi honors,powerfist,bolt pistol
heavy bolter,plasma gun
and 7 marines.
Mrgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2006, 19:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Mrgame: You'll note that he has the trait 'Take the Fight to Them', so swapping out for ccw and bp is allowed.

Solid list.* Maybe swap out one missile launcher with a lascannon?* I really don't have anything else to say (except use those 8 points!)

"In the nightmare future of the far future there is only war." - Apocalypse
O Y Montyr is offline   Reply With Quote