Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[Updated] Ultramarines 7th Company, 1000pts
Closed Thread
Old 04 Aug 2006, 03:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default [Updated] Ultramarines 7th Company, 1000pts

This is my first list with my new marines. I bought a tactical box, assault box and commander and intend to get another tactical box this weekend and already have 10 macragge marines.

HQ
Master Captain Vash Thalion (ok so Im recycling a name from some old fluff of mine but Ive used it before elsewhere)
-Power Weapon, Master Crafted Plasma Pistol, Terminator Honors, Melta Bombs, Frag Grenades, Adamantine Mantle
Total: 176
Pricey I know but this is just a test commander so far, I wanted an HQ that would support the rest of the army and plug holes when they appear.

Troops
Tactical Squad Tyriel (10)
Sergeant- Power Fist, Terminator Honors, bolt pistol, frag grenades
-9 Marines, frag grenades, meltagun
Total: 200
A close ranged squad, designed to fire on the move, with a burried powerfist to deal with unexpected problems and a meltagun to help. Im thinking to use this unit to offer support to the assault marines.

Tactical Squad Altaris (10)
Sergeant- CCW, Bolt Pistol
-9 Marines, flamer, missil launcher
Total: 166
This is the macragge marine squad. Im thinking about using them as a fire support squad to cover the advance of the other units.

Fast Attack
Assault Squad Herrion (5)
Sergeant- Power Fist, Plasma Pistol, Terminator Honors, melta bombs
-4 Marines, 2 Plasma Pistols, melta bombs
Total: 175
Primary assault unit, backed up by Tac squad Tyriel these guys will head forwards through cover using the plasma pistols to down any difficult foes they encounter and target hidden enemy armor or firebases or even characters. Not cheap and few in number but until the army grows my options are limited.

Army Total: 717

If I had to drop 15pts to get to 702 Id downgrade the master to a captain. I intend to add another tactical squad identical to squad Tyriel or at least very similar to it. So another roughly 175 to 200pts to be added this weekend. Not a bad start I suppose my next priority will be a heavy support. What would you advise, I was thinking either a predator or Devastators.

Also comments and critisism on the list is always welcome. This is my first marine list so some direction as to where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04 Aug 2006, 12:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn
Default Re: Ultramarines 7th Company, first list 717pts

Hey,

Looks like a nice starter force you have there. A couple of things that I would do differently about the list:

1 - As you have pointed out, the Master is very expensive. Either you should go for a dirt cheap Master, and keep him out of trouble to simply make the most of his Rites of Battle rule, or you should dress him up for close combat and get him there as quickly as possible. I recommend dropping the Plasma Pistol altogether (or at least removing Master Crafting from it), and giving him a Jump Pack instead. He can then ride along with the Assault Squad and cause some nasty damage. I would also consider dropping the Mantle, unless you face armies that have S8 power fists (or otherwise) all over the place.

2 - Your tactical squads could afford to be split up a little more I reckon. I suggest dropping Squad Tyriel down to 8 men, Squad Altaris down to 6 men (and remove the flamer), and creating a new 6-man squad with just a flamer or plasma gun for the moment. When you get more Marines
and heavy weapons, you could increase this squad to 8 men and use it for close support, or give it a heavy weapon.
[hr]

For your next things to buy, I have a couple of suggestions:
  • Assault Squad - Another box of Assault Marines. 5 men in an Assault Squad simply isn't enough, as they are often an expensive, high priority target. Also, with the Assault Squad box you could outfit your commander with one of the jump packs, or build another commander using spare bits.

• Marines with Heavy Weapons - The Devastator boxed set is a waste of money in my opinion, it's simply better to buy the heavy weapon troops seperately. I'd buy a couple of marines armed with lascannons and heavy bolters to give yourself some long-ranged anti-tank and anti-infantry power. You can use them in Tactical Squads, or form Devastator squads with them.

• Predator - It's not a hammerhead, but its still a worthwhile support tank. The Lascannon turret / Heavy Bolter sponsons variety is the most versatile, able to provide anti-tank and anti-infantry support on the move.

• Land Speeders - These beauties are fast, cheap and versatile, great for supporting your assault Marines, or seizing objectives. Grab a couple of these things and equip with either standard heavy bolter for long-range anti-infantry role, or a multi-melta for tank busting duties.

What do you reckon?
Old 04 Aug 2006, 18:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

If I have the spare cash I think Ill be getting another tactical squad like I said and a couple of marines with lascannons and put them in squad Altaris. Thats 3 tank busting weapons which should be good for now and some ablative wounds to take the damage.

I indeed was looking at a jump pack for the commander but Ive been trying to think about how to get one to equip him with. I think instead if I can Ill get a jump pack Chaplain. From what Ive seen of marines Chaplains are better CC monsters than commanders and I could attatch him to the assault marines. But from the looks of it the tac squad is all I can afford right now. Next though some Devastators and a jump pack Chaplain. Until then Ill have to do with melta bombs, power fists and melta guns to down any enemy armor.

For the second tactical squad should they be outfitted with, Im thinking either another melta gun or a plasma gun. Im not big on flamers. The second sergeant will have a termi honors, power weapon and bolt pistol.

Old 04 Aug 2006, 20:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to charn

The jump pack Chaplain is a great model, and Chaplains excel in close combat, as well as boosting the capabilities of the unit they are with.

Your second special weapon should probably be a Plasma Gun, they are powerful and versatile, albeit a risk to the user. I'd also thin down some of those squads, and use the Missile Launcher from each tactical squad box for some temporary long-range anti-tank capability.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 07 Aug 2006, 05:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I added to my army another tac squad, a lascannon dev and a jump pack chaplain. So the army now is:

HQ
Master Captain Vash Thalion (ok so Im recycling a name from some old fluff of mine but Ive used it before elsewhere)
-Power Weapon, Master Crafted Plasma Pistol, Terminator Honors, Melta Bombs, Frag Grenades, Adamantine Mantle
Total: 176
Pricey I know but this is just a test commander so far, I wanted an HQ that would support the rest of the army and plug holes when they appear.

Reclusiarch Chaplain Claudius
-Crozius Arcanum, Rosarius, bolt pistol, jump pack, melta bombs, frag grenades
Total: 112
Much simpler HQ, this guy attatches to the assault marines and makes them more... assaulty.

Troops
Tactical Squad Tyriel (10)
Sergeant- Power Fist, Terminator Honors, bolt pistol, frag grenades
-9 Marines, frag grenades, meltagun
Total: 200
A close ranged squad, designed to fire on the move, with a burried powerfist to deal with unexpected problems and a meltagun to help. Im thinking to use this unit to offer support to the assault marines.

Tactical Squad Oscelo (10)
Sergeant- terminator honors, power weapon, bolt pistol
-9 Marines, plasma gun, missil launcher
Total: 195
A fire support unit to back up the advance and help the Devs.

Tactical Squad Altaris (10)
Sergeant- ccw,
-5 Marines, flamer
Total: 96
Half of the Macragge marines, this is a small wild card unit.

Fast Attack
Assault Squad Herrion (5)
Sergeant- Power Fist, Plasma Pistol, Terminator Honors, melta bombs
-4 Marines, 2 Plasma Pistols, melta bombs
Total: 175
Primary assault unit, backed up by Tac squad Tyriel these guys will head forwards through cover using the plasma pistols to down any difficult foes they encounter and target hidden enemy armor or firebases or even characters. Not cheap and few in number but until the army grows my options are limited.

Devastater Squad Altaris (5)
Sergeant- bolter
-4 Marines, lascannon, missil launcher
Total: 130
Pure tank bustyness.

Army Total: 1084

To even the points I would drop Tactical Squad Altaris and bump the chappy to a Codicier.

Alright this is most pleasing, my army is coming together nicely, I didnt think I could get the chappy or lascannon marine today but did. So when I get another 20 bucks Ill get another lascannon marine and maybe a plasmacannon or multi melta. To fill out the Devastators. Next though comes the elites. What elite should I add to balance this list?

I was thinking either a squad of Terminators or a squad of Veterans. I had my eye on Tyranid Hunters as I am Ultramarines it would be fluffy but I dont see the value in them much. Id have to add a heavy bolter to use the hellfire rounds. There is also the dreadnaught but while it looks cool I dont think its going to be effective especially as Im already at 1k and have no other armor it wont last, not at all. There is also the techmarine but it doesnt seem to my liking. Maybe if I had a Land Raider to put him in and the money to outfit a gun servitor with a plasma cannon but baring that nah.

So either Tyranid Hunters, Veterans or Terminators... which do you think would be best for this army to stay balanced and not specialize either way too much. I already have shooty and assaulty elements in about even mix, its what next Im not sure about.

Once I get an elite what should I add next? Another HS, FA, Troops or Elites would come next but which should I do first and with what unit. Im thinking maybe a Landspeeder for FA, Tac squad for troops deffinetly, for elites one of the remaining choices after I pick one and HS Im utterly unsure of. No more Devs and Im not a fan of indirect fire and ordanance so a Pred perhaps or a LRC... Im not sure.

So any suggestions or comments on the list and where I can take it from here?

Old 07 Aug 2006, 05:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame
Default Re: [Updated] Ultramarines 7th Company, 1000pts

All are nice choices,I would say either vets or terminators but if I had to choose it would be terminators,which ones I don't no,another chaplin in termi armour attached to a assault terminator squad stuck in a land raider crusader would be a killing machine but very exspensive.
Just get a box of terminators,give them an assault cannon and they all have power fists so they can hold there own and be both assaulty and shooty.
Old 07 Aug 2006, 05:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes Terminators are nice but the more I look at the units the more Im thinking either Tyranid vets or Veterans. Cause the vets can easily be a very nice cc unit to act as counter charge for my static Tac and Dev squads letting the assaults go assault and my commander can join them adding to their deadliness. 2 power weapons, a power fist and a pair of lightning claws would be deadly. On the other hand thats a bit specialized. However I can get a nice mix with the Tyranid vets. Sergeant with power weapon and bolter and a heavy bolter in there they can form the center of my Firebase and mow down infantry.

Im thinking of going with the Tyranid vets for fluffyness and just to see how they go. 3 blisters of 2, one turned into a serg and maybe see if I can get my hands on a heavy bolter dev to convert one of the vets with it. The extra body I could then give the spare missil launcher or a special weapon from the bits box to swap around if I need it.

I like Terminators, they do rock and Im thinking in the end of having all 3, Vets, Tyranid Vets and Termies its just in what order I get them that matters. Heavy support is also giving me a headache. Im fairly sure of the Devs, Im thinking another Lascannon, a Plasma cannon and a multi melta and swap them around when need be but for the second HS choice Im utterly unsure of.

Old 08 Aug 2006, 04:46   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mrgame

Yeah go with vets for the time being I guess,I just looked at them today to refreash my memory and they look pretty cool.They would help you more now then those termis which can come later.Forgot about those tyranid hunters,they kind of appeal to me too but not enough.
Well good luck with your army.Post a new one when you are done.
Old 08 Aug 2006, 04:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Im flip flopping between the Nid Hunters and the regular Vets. Vets give cc punch but the Nid hunters could really help with anti infantry which now that anti armor is mostly taken care of (and cc for the moment) is a concern. I might just save up and get a squad of both. 46 to do the nid hunters (6 with serg and heavy bolter) and 35 for the vets. So the vets are cheaper but not by too much. Still trying to determine which lends itself more to balance and take all comers type build. Though the vets would give my commander a unit to join and help. Ah well I have time to think about it I wont be making another purchase for a few weeks if not a month or more.

Closed Thread