Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Just Started Black Templars need some help on a 1500 point army list
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jul 2006, 05:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via AIM to h01laatyaboy3 Send a message via MSN to h01laatyaboy3
Default Just Started Black Templars need some help on a 1500 point army list

Hey, just let me give you some background info; I started out with Necrons, now I am going to be a Black Templars player. I am a player who likes to use both shoot and assault (I'm more a shooty person, having played with necrons though).

I created a 1500 point army list and I will be playing against different types of armies; (with my friends) such as: Imperial Guard, Tyranids, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tau, Regular Space Marines, and Chaos Space Marines.

Here is my 1500 point army list, any suggestions could help and would be gladly appreciated.

HQ-
Marshal
Equipment-Terminator Armour

Total Points 105

CS (command squad)-
Terminator Command Squad (3)
Equipment-Assault Cannon
Equipment-Cyclone Missile Launcher
Armed with Frag Grenades

Total Points 165

Elites-
Dreadnought
Equipment-Twin Linked Lascannon

Total Points 125

Sword Brethren Terminator Squad (5)
Equipment-Cyclone Missile Launcher (2)
One with Krak, One with Frag Grenades

Total Points 250

Sword Brethren Squad (5) + (1 Veteran)
Equipment-Infiltrate
Equipment-Bolt Pistol and CC weapon (free)
Equipment-Plasma Cannon
Equipment-Flamer +

Total Points 145

Troops-
Crusader Squad (5)
Neophyte (3)
Equipment-Lascannon
Equipment-Plasma Gun

Total Points 132

Crusader Squad (6)
Equipment-Power Weapon and Bolt Pistol
Transport-Razorback
Equipment-Twin linked Lascannon
Total Points 196

Fast Attack-
Black Templar Assault Squad (6)
Equipment-Meltabombs (5)
Equipment-Power Weapon

Total Points 146

Heavy Support-
Predator Destructor (1)
Equipment-Two Lascannons

Total Points 125

The Emperorís Champion-
Emperorís Champion
Equipment-Abhor the Witch, Destroy the Witch

Total Points 110

TOTAL POINTS: 1499

I just started with them, so any input would be really appreciated.
I know I didnít put any apothecaries, or the Land Raider Crusader, or any bikes, or any War Gear or any Vehicle Upgrades, but please tell me what you think about it. And how much it will cost in money (ha-ha).

Thanks-h01laatyaboy3

And just to say one thing there are 38 models in that army, let me know if I need more or less
Old 28 Jul 2006, 12:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Just Started Black Templars need some help on a 1500 point army list

Quote:
HQ-
Marshal 80 pts.
Equipment-Terminator Armour points

Total Points 105

CS (command squad)-
Terminator Command Squad (3) 120 Points
Equipment-Assault Cannon +25
Equipment-Cyclone Missile Launcher
Armed with Frag Grenades

Total Points 165
first, you haven't bought your marshall any weapons, just the terminator armor. you might want to find the points for that somewhere.

second, and I'm not positive about this, but don't you need 4 terminators for your command squad? also the assault cannon is only 20 pts, and you really shouldn't be posting points values for everything anyway, just the total points. You definitely want to fix that before a mod comes and fixes it for you.

Lastly, terminators can't have grenades...

Actually, now that I've glanced through your list again, you've made a couple of mistakes. And I will gladly go over them with you once you get the points values removed. Thats a very bad rules violation on this sites forums.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 14:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Just Started Black Templars need some help on a 1500 point army list

Okay, I fixed the point values. Posting the total points cost of a unit is fine, posting the cost for upgrades is not. That is copyright from Games-Workshop.

Also make sure when posting an army list that the list is legal.
Like Howloutloud pointed out you still need to buy equipment for your commander.
Always make sure you check the Codex when making an army list.

And lastly please don't double post. I removed that too.
What you said in your second post was put in the first post as the last sentence.

Thanks

Old 28 Jul 2006, 19:56   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

there are only three terminators in the terminator command squad, and what other mistakes are there in the army list, and what wargear should i give to my marshall, i was thinking about a holy orb of antioch, and the admantine mantle or a chapter banner, which one on these is nice, the admantine mantle or the chapter banner...
Old 28 Jul 2006, 22:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

ok first there should be at least 4 in a command squad, 1 sergeant and 3 regular termies.

I'm not sure if the commander can have the holy orbs, but if he can definitely take them. you might also want to give him either a pair of lightning claws or a power weapon and storm bolter/ combi-bolter. Personally I would go for the lightning claws.

as for the banner or the mantle I would say the mantle, seeing as how you can't upgrade a terminator command squad member to be a standard bearer. however I do feel that the mantle is a point sink, so I would actually suggest not getting it either.

your sword brethren squad seems to be for the most part geared toward close combat. I would keep it that way and lose the plasma cannon. that should free up some points for later on. plus aren't they allowed to take things like lightning claws and powerfists instead of heavy and assault weaponry? if thats the case (don't have the codex in front of me) then you might want to think about making them more hth inclined.

Your dreadnought is ok, especially since in a templars army you won't have that much tank popping ability. Your terminator squad on the other hand, first you would probably be better off with the 2 assault cannons than the 2 cyclones that you bought. If you do keep the missiles though you don't have to choose which of the 2 types of missiles you use until you use them, and even then you can switch between the 2. So you might as well just delete the line "One with Krak, One with Frag Grenades" unless you meant you were buying them for the termies, in which case terminators can't have grenades.

your first crusader squad looks good, but I'm not a fan of the second. in my opinion (and let me stress that it is MY opinion) razorbacks just are not worth the points spent. with a weak armor and small boarding space you'd be better off saving the points and just buying a rhino. either that or using the points for heavy weapons elsewhere in your list.

your fast looks good, the only question is why do you have 6 in the squad but only 5 melta bombs? if you took a 6 strong squad and bought them meltas then the whole squad has to have them. other than that really good.

your emporers champion is good (and a given), and as I'm not sure off hand what the vow you took does I'm not going to critique that.

Lastly your predator. to begin with, I generally don't like predators. of course that again is my opinion, as I know for a fact that they are quite effective (being on the wrong end of one too many times to count) but if you are going to get one then decide before hand what it is meant to do. the destructor should be anti- infantry. by placing lascannons on the side sponsons you are actually hurting yourself. you would be better off either getting a pred annihilator or switching the sponsons over to heavy bolters. But then again I would prefer heavy bolter sponsons on my annihilator also, that way you can move it the full 6" a turn and still be able to fire all of its guns. something you can't do if you give it lascannon sponsons. You might also want to look into getting extra armor and smoke launchers for both your predator and your dreadnought. It hasn't let me down yet.

Sorry to ramble on about it, and feel free to ignore or adapt anything that I've said. and most importantly, good luck with your army (unless I'm facing you that is) ;D
Old 29 Jul 2006, 07:16   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks so much for that.

I miss read the codex, I only have had it for 4 days, so I'm trying to put 1500 points for an assaulting and 1500 points for a shooting list.

This would be my shooting army, against an army like the Imperial guard those two side sponsons for lascannons are my anti-Russ and anti-Basilisk weapons. And I decided because I only have enough points for 5 melta bombs I only put in 5. But since I'm taking out the plasma cannon on the brethern assualt squad, I can fit it in so they have 6.

The thing I like about the razorbacks is the lascannons, which are my anti-tank guns. I need those especially when I'm playing against one Russ, two Basilisks, two Chimeras, and one Hellhound.

And I know I see on a lot of these topics, people are suggesting smoke launchers. But I really don't see anything extermly great about them, it prevents me from shooting.

I appreciate the help, and anymore input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - h01laatyaboy3

(Fixed your grammer, layout and punctuation. Please make more sentences and use less comma's. - Stam)
Old 30 Jul 2006, 17:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Hey anthony i took a quick look at your list and the first thing is just get it legal. Read over the codex again and use Army Builder. If you need Army Builder call doc its on my laptop. Second i made the same mistakes first few times i posted too just dont do it again. Now for your army list. You are not Tau. You dont put different types of weapons on one tank. If you take a destructor it is anti infantry. If you take an annhilator it is anti tank and give it the lascannons. Your right you need the anti-tank power to play me. But remember that this list also has to fight tyranids, eldar, dark eldar, tau, and chaos marines all in the same day. I dont know about space marines but in Imperial Guard command squads are either shooty or assault. Maybe space marines can pull off both but i think an assault HQ would help alot. They will probably be the only thing that can stand up to my Dark Eldar in close combat. Maybe you should stick with the razorback if your going to keep a small squad. The smoke launchers are actually really good for low armour vehicles. I never take it because people rarely get pentrating hits on my Russ's and no1 can ever shoot my Bassie's. But your tanks have lower armour. Extra armous is decent to run away but that one im not to sure is worth it. Also anthony read up on some tactics on the forums especiallys ones like how to beat imperial guard or Tau or something. It should help you reshape your list. Alright man im still in DR so i gotta go power went out lol... peace
Closed Thread