Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Scout company
Closed Thread
Old 21 Jul 2006, 04:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Scout company

I am a necron player who used to play with SM and I was looking for a way to go back to playing with space marines without playing with a conventional army. Then I was reading the codex and I noticed for the first time you could have a legal army with just scouts I was wondering this as I flipped to the page on chapter organisation. I was reading it when I noticed a part that said 10th company-scout company.

This led me to make up this army list:

HQ

Captain (as seen under commander section in codex)…………..60pts* *
I decided that it didn’t fit fluff wise to have a commander master in the scout company so out it goes

Chaplain (as seen in codex): must be included in armies over 750pts…….. MoS-100pts* *Reclusiarch-70pts
When I read the codex the idea of a host of scouts following the arm of a chaplain appealed to me so here it is and the points difference is because you have to have one so I didn’t want that to be as much of a handy cap

Command squad (as seen in codex)
This represent the commander surrounded by his closest advisors not a bunch of trainee scouts although the squad may include scouts

(No psychic help in this army)

ELITES

Veteran squad: has veteran stats but is in scout armour an though you may by power armour for ten points apart from that as seen in codex…………16pts (limit of 1)
Scout who had to much fun scouting away and so stayed on

Normal marines: as seen in codex…………..19pts
This is to represent the scout company getting reinforcements from the other companies. Would normally be used in a fire support role

Tech-priest enginseer: get an imperial guard summary sheet from the GW website if (like me) you don’t have a imperial guard codex………..45pts (may take servitors as per the SM codex) (use techmarine items and stuff just tech priest stat line)
A not quite there techmarine for some not quite there space marines

TROOPS

Scouts: as seen in codex but snipers only cost 3 pts………..13pts
Scouts beautiful scouts

FAST ATTACK

Scout bikes: as seen in codex…………….25pts
What can I say a scout on a bike

Landspeeders:as seen in codex..............50pts

HEAVY SUPPORT

Scout devastator squad: profile of a scout- may have up to 4 members equipped with either a heavy bolter at 5pts or a missile launcher at 10pts
One of the 4 may be a power armoured space marine with a lascannon at 50pts (this is NOT plus the scouts cost of 13 pts). Any other member of the squad may upgrade their normal weapons for a sniper rifle at 5pts.………………13pts(un-upgraded)
I thought that scouts needed a substitute for the normal devastator squads and the lascannon guy is just there because scouts don’t have enough equipment to kill armour value 14 tanks
(you may also take a normal devestator squad at the normal points cost)

Predator destructor: as seen in codex………..100pts

Vindicator: as seen in codex…………..125pts

So this is my army list of which you are all free to use and comment on

(i've edited it a bit)

Wargamer Note: Ignore this edit... I just clicked a few wrong buttons :-X

I scored a 6 on my powergaming test Yay................ ha
Old 21 Jul 2006, 07:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Scout company

I kind of like it. It really takes the whole "scout fetish" to a whole new level. If I do ever do this then I might make the devestator squads be power armored SM because I think that it fits. Heavy weapons, better targetting, and better protection scream power armor to me. Plus in an army of scouts, I think that it would be sweet to have some pure power armor. Good idea.

Steel Skeleton

P.S. Karma cookie anybody?

--Commissar_Will
Old 21 Jul 2006, 10:12   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Not sure if this is worth a "Karma Cookie". For one thing, I see no reason for all the Guard stuff.

If you want a "proper" Scout army, then here's how I'd do it:

HQ: As normal.
ELITES: Tactical Squads, Techpriests.
TROOPS: Scouts.
FAST ATTACK: Scout Bikes.
HEAVY SUPPORT: 0-1 Orbital Strike (representing supporting fire from Whirlwinds / Fleet craft, called down by the forward scouts). Scout Heavy Weapon Squad (as Scout Squad, but may take up to four heavy weapons, chosen from the following:
Heavy Bolter at +15pts per model, Missile Launcher at +25pts per model, Autocannon at +25pts per model.
Any model may take a Sniper Rifle at +10pts per model.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 21 Jul 2006, 13:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I agree with Wargamer that none of the IG stuff fits at all.

Really however if you want to make a scout army it's really more of a theming choice, than something that requires a whole new list.

It's perfectly possible to make an army consisting entirely of scouts except for your commander.

However I've seen people do it, they even used a Scout model as the leader and claimed he was wearing "Scoutificer Armour" to justify his 3+ Save.

I've toyed around with the idea a few times and the best way would probably be to simply take a commander + infiltraiting command squad with some heavy weapons, some fire support scout squads and maybe an infiltraiting veteran squad. A chaplain wouldn't be amiss in the army, and a few combat orient scout squads can always be useful. Finally Scout bikes kick ass!

For a slightly different twist on the Scout army there's also the Imperial Fist 1 and 10 army.

Basically an Imperial fist army led by Lysander, with 3-5 Terminator squads who teleport in with scouts on the ground guiding them terminators with teleport homers.

It's really cool and you can make it (almost) entierley out of plastic!

Lysander is of course metal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 14:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Ahhh, yes...we're back to Lysander. He's the only advantage the Fists seem to have! I would love to make use of unique vehicles with the 'counts as' rule or customise my Marines by way of traits but I can't...bloody 'chapters of legend' traits... >
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 21 Jul 2006, 17:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well the fists are still a "Codex" chapter.

They adhere to Guilemans rules fairly rigidly. Any Imperial Fists who disagreed with the guidelines left the chapter shortly after the Heresy and joined up with the Black Templars.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 21 Jul 2006, 20:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i've put in th IG stuff cause i realy couldnt work out what to put there although i think it represents a scouts need to make do with the weapons at hand but i see that the hellhound just doesn't fit so i'll remove that. the reason i think the sentinals fit is they are a scouting walker just remove the guardsman pop in a scout and off we go.
thx for your comments

P.S. this is not a debate over how great lysander is, we already know he rocks

I scored a 6 on my powergaming test Yay................ ha
Old 21 Jul 2006, 21:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

There's several problems with giving scouts sentinels.

1) Where'd they get them? Marine forges and manufactorums have the equipment to manufacture marine vehichles. Rhinos and their variants, land speeders, bikes.

2) A sentinel isn't very large, and on the model the cockpit looks cramped for a regular guardsman. How's a 7 foot tall 350 pound space marine supposed so squeeze himself in there?

Really you don't need to change the marine codex at all.

Just takes lots of scouts, some infiltraiting veterans/command marines and some land speeders.

They fill a very similiar role to sentinels in a guard army but really I think they do it better. They're light scout vehichles so it's reasonable for them to be accompanying the scouts. Hell you could even convert them so the pilots are scout pilots.

Variant list are cool and fun, but there's just no reason for it in this case.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 21 Jul 2006, 22:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

If you take Land Speeders, might I suggest using the 'classic' model? The crew are seperate models so it'll be very easy to replace them, and the Speeder itself looks lighter and less bulky than the newer model (despite actually being heavier because of the all-metal componants).

There was a chap on these forums a while back talking about an all-scout army. I think he he wanted to take HMMWV's or similar such vehicles as Rhinos. It'd make sense; they're fast, have paper-thin armour, and sport a heavy machinegun...hell you can even uprgrade one with a Hunter-Killer missile launcher kinda like a TOW missile launcher. How you'd take them in a pure-scout army is a tricky question though...you probably would have to modify the army list a little.
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Old 22 Jul 2006, 00:13   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

If you put scouts in landspeeders, some people might make you count it as open topped, since power armor is the only thing keeping them from being considered as so. I suggest modeling a landspeeder with a closed cockpit and saying its piloted by scouts.

He who seeks revenge digs two graves.
Closed Thread