Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Malus Darkblade, Scion of Hag Graef, Champion of the Witch King
Old 17 Feb 2010, 19:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to pettsy
Default Malus Darkblade, Scion of Hag Graef, Champion of the Witch King

My most recent project. Overall I'm feeling 'meh' about the finished model, under my desk lamp it looks pretty sweet but as soon as I look at it in normal light I'm not as happy. Friend of mine says it is fine but something is nagging me about it.

Any ideas on what could be improved?
~Pettsy~

P.S Also I realise the base isn't done, I keep changing my mind how I want to base it and am currently waiting for inspiration to strike (and knowing me it could be a while )

"It matters not what form my enemy takes, I will slay him all the same" - Grand Master Daedelus

We are ever-living, our spirit is immortal, and long after the last of our people crumbles to dust we shall still live on. For we are the Asur and for as long as there is light then we will shine!
pettsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2010, 19:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Malus Darkblade, Scion of Hag Graef, Champion of the Witch King

Hi,

I think the sword looks great, I really like the runes in it.

However for me it is the scales on the cold one that gets me, I think the recesses need to be a darker colour than they are. However I really like the skin underneath. Also the tongue looks a bit flat and skin in the mouth, (the red bits) is the same.

Skin colour of the elf is good I like it a lot.

Yeah so overall I like the model. I think it would great as part of a bigger unit of cold ones.

For me about 7 and 1/2 out of 10.

W o K

Old 18 Feb 2010, 08:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Hmmm... for me i'd suggest doing the following

1) Sort out the eyes by putting two white lines at either side of the pupil
2)I'd be tempted to give the armour a wash of ink of some sort (personally i'd do black), to make it darker...dunno why, but i hate 'shiny' Dark Elves ;D
3) I'll refer you to GWs 'painting Cold One Knights' article, as it has a pretty decent way of painting the lizards! (as for the eyes, i did them w/... i think Iyanden darksun, then put a small black dot in the middle
4) A point on the skin, i would also be tempted to mix up some Elf flesh w/ skull white, and apply that to the extreme edges, eg nose, chin etc, just to make him look pale
Hope this helps, it's certainly a good start!
Old 18 Feb 2010, 10:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

For me the cold one lacks any real depth.
You can go about getting this in two ways, but a combination of both would most likely be best.
A watery mix of green and black for washing in between the scales.
Some highlights on the edge of the scales. This doesn't need to be overdone either. You can pick them out individually (which is what I would do), or you can give it a light drybrush.
The best effect would be achieved with a combination of the above.

I agree with Baldrick on the armour. Dark Elves shouldn't really be shiny (but if you like that it's your prerogative). A few washes will dull down this now, but in future I would suggest starting in a different way:
50/50 mix of chaos black and boltgun metal (or another dark colour which themes well with what you are painting)
pick out plates a little more, and details with the boltgun metal, but be subtle. Remember, water your paint down so it becomes more translucent and the shift is more gradual.
Pick out the details with mithril (extremes only)

Another way is to use tin bitz and chaos black as your base, then build up as above.

I also agree with a little further highlighting on the skin tones, dark elves are quite pallid, but I would avoid using skull white in a flesh mix, I tend to go for bleached bone. Follow this with a couple of really THIN glazes of either blue or purple (or a mix) and this should give you a very nice and eerie pallid skin tone.

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2010, 10:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

As a matter of interest Dontlookdown... do you have any pics of Dark Elves with purple/blue skin tone washes? Would love to see 'em
Old 18 Feb 2010, 11:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

No, I'm not talking about washing, I'm talking glazing... it's different and very subtle.
If you look in white dwarf, any skin tone that is in the heavy metal masterclass section will probably have had a glaze.

Glazes are extremely thin and you have to build it up gradually over a few applications (letting each one dry before applying the next). You apply it like a paint, not like a wash, to raised areas rather than recesses.

If you look at the guardsman in my profile pic, he has a red glaze on his cheeks and nose to make it look as if his skin has been subjected to frost bite from the freezing conditions he is fighting in.

[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Old 18 Feb 2010, 16:14   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Glazes are extremely thin and you have to build it up gradually over a few applications (letting each one dry before applying the next). You apply it like a paint, not like a wash, to raised areas rather than recesses.
A few? More like 20, depending on the consistency and thickness. Basically, they're more watered down than washes. They're also extremely useful for blending.
Warsmith Tyranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2010, 16:26   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown
If you look at the guardsman in my profile pic, he has a red glaze on his cheeks and nose to make it look as if his skin has been subjected to frost bite from the freezing conditions he is fighting in.
Hi

What profile picture?

W o K
Old 18 Feb 2010, 17:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmmm it should be displaying, it was when I wrote that message. Either forum troubles or someone having fun :P