Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My finished Commander
Old 01 Jul 2009, 10:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default My finished Commander

I've recently finished painting and converting my Shadowsun Commander and I want to share her with you I altered her weapons so that she performs well at the battlefield as an 'el. I also decided to go with a Firewarrior shoulder-pad instead of her standard jet pack (I didn't want her to look like Batman). Summing up, three simple conversions and a white paint scheme.

Feel free to comment!
Old 01 Jul 2009, 11:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: My finished Commander

Nice work, the recesses are very stormtrooperesque... I usually go with a liighter shade than pure black outs, but if this is the effect you wanted, you got it
It's certainly clean enough. Would like to see some better photos with more natural light as I don't think these ones are doing your work justice.
Good job anyway

Commission?! PM me to discuss a price. Based in the UK.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/glam_andy/Anubis.jpg[/img]

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round!
Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jul 2009, 12:41   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thx for the positive comment. And yes, I wanted it to look like this, my whole army will have such recesses.
Unfortunately, I can't make any better photos. My old phone (from which these photos were taken) broke down and now I'm left only with a 1.3 mega pixel one
Old 01 Jul 2009, 17:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Looks good! I love the white color scheme with the beige guns. I also love your idea of converting Shadowsun to a regular El'. I have wanted to do this for a while too!

How did you convert the model to have the burst cannon and the plasma rifle? I'd like to know since I personally want to try making my own Shadowsun Shas'O/El one day!

Although I think it is too late to do this, and even if it wasn't, I am not sure if is even possible (since I don't know how the Shadowsun Model looks unassembled) - Did you ever think of using the XV25 Stealthsuit Burst Cannon instead of the Crisis one?

I personally much prefer the look of the XV25 Burst Cannon, and because its smaller and more streamlined it may suit the XV22 suit a little more - but that is just personal preference. Still love the conversion and the paint job!
Old 01 Jul 2009, 19:58   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Dude, I'm so glad you like it, it's actually my first fully painted Tau miniature

As for your questions:
The conversion may look quite simple but in fact you need a whole lot of cutting to make it look decent for Shadowsun is a metal model. What you have to do is buy yourself a modeling knife and cut her fusion blasters off at the beginning of the pipes/rods. Having done that make sure that everything is straight and smooth. To do that you can either use the same knife that you used for cutting or a metal rasp. To get the best effect you should obviously use both. Beware, when using the modeling knife don't stare at the model! I know this may sound silly but there is a slight chance that the knife won't handle the pressure and break with the tip budging right at your head as it is quite thin. To avoid this simply place your knife in the desired position and cut while closing your eyes and turning your head to the right/left (I'm serious here). A better solution would be just wearing goggles if you possess such an item. A friend of mine told me that he almost lost an eye due to a similar accident so you really need to be careful. After this it's a piece of cake. Just cut the front parts of the plastic weapons wherever you like and glue them in, making sure that they're standing straight. It really gives you much satisfaction once you have done all these steps by yourself, believe me
As for the burst cannon, just like you said, it's a matter of personal preference. I just like the BC that I used a bit more, I wanted her to have over-sized weapons. Although, you have to take into account that the weapons that you want to insert should be more or less the same size so that there's no major disproportion. For example, you will have to make that plasma rifle a bit shorter if you intend to use the smaller XV25 version of the burst cannon.

Having said that, I wish you good luck with your little experiment. Post some photos as soon as you get any results, please. I'm looking forward to it

---------
EDIT
---------

Can a moderator move this topic the the Showcase section, please? I just noticed that finished models should be posted there.
Old 11 Jul 2009, 10:56   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Nuggenator

Hey very nice job!

one thing, he doesnt look big enough for his guns,

like his very thin and holding huge weapons

making him look abit ' wonkey ' lol

but still very nice