Warhammer 40K Forum

Scheme, take duo.
Closed Thread
Old 24 May 2005, 06:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Scheme, take duo.

Hey all.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v299/S...tauconcept.jpg

It's a link because the picture would look really dark on the white background on the forum.

I was shooting for a really realistic looking model, while still being relatively easy to paint. The armour is based with scorched brown, and blended up to Snakebite for the final highlight. It was then stipplied finely with black and snakebite. The damage is painted on, with the black being highlighted with a single fortress grey highlight (shineh). Green is just camo with a bit of a highlight done in white (only on the shoulderpad). Oh, and i buggered up the eye, woops :-[ lol.

I was shooting for a more realistic, detailed look to the model. I'm now debating whether or not to go with a similar colour scheme, but done mroe like Tael's stuff - flat and smoothe.

Oh, and the model was thrown together from old painted models, so its a tad chunky in places

Thoughts?
Syn.

edit 47: The fatigues are done in Vallejo Khaki, with a bit of white added in for highlights. The camo pattern is done with spots in black, with smaller spots on the black in white. Then it was dabbed here and there with Camo green (you can see this on his left leg on the rearview). Its a favourite look of mine Plus, if anyone would utilize the advantages of camo, it'd be the Tau.

Favourite Bands: Ayreon, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Blind Guardian, Spock's Beard, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Porcupine Tree, Phish.
Old 24 May 2005, 19:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Scheme, take duo.

I like the color scheme, though I'd not reccomend going the 'flat and smooth' route...especially for a camouflage themed army...

Somehow that GW Brand of ultra-clean, smooth and pristine looking armor doesn't seem to fit with what you have going here.

It's got more of a military model look, which is refreshing, and I'd keep it as is...

The only comment I'd make is to maybe wash some bubonic brown over that eye...the pure white eyeball pops out way too much...and could use a little toning down...

Good job!

-M
Old 24 May 2005, 19:35   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant

its good i like it don't see really anything that needs to be touched up like that you painted eyes on him no one has done that really
Old 24 May 2005, 21:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Looks good, though the camo on the cloth has just too many colors, and looks theirfore kinda "sloppy". And some brown ink(or thinned scorched brown) would bring out the details on the armour and clothing.
Old 25 May 2005, 02:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I was trying to avoid using inks, because i wanted the dry matte look you get from the stipple/drybrush technique (as much as i'm against drybrushing, used sparingly it can work), but i'll give it a go.

Might tone the cloth down a bit, maybe dark brown slashes and a lighter brown at a different angle?

Any thoughts on the base?

Cheers for the comments
Syn.

Favourite Bands: Ayreon, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Blind Guardian, Spock's Beard, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Porcupine Tree, Phish.
Old 25 May 2005, 07:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

notice the bit in "new posters read this" that says ALL finished minis go in showcase?? based or not, that's finished. try again

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Closed Thread