Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Test Inquisitor
Closed Thread
Old 20 May 2005, 22:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw
Default Test Inquisitor

Oka,y this guy was and still is something ofa test model for new ideas in painting. Some things work, like the way the scrolls turned out, others like the sword, didn't work so well.

Currently in progress is a bit of an experiment to make to similar colours look a bit more distict, as with the cloak, armour and sleeve.

Anyhow, most seem to have worked better than others, what do you think?

Old 20 May 2005, 23:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus
Default Re: Test Inquisitor

Interesting... does he work with Ultramarines or something?

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 21 May 2005, 00:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Aun Ukos

Cool model, he looks pissed though.
Old 21 May 2005, 01:24   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via Yahoo to soloplumber

nice work good color.
Old 21 May 2005, 03:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

BW

I think one of the best ways to make similiar colors seem distinct is by the way you shade them...for instance, the cloak could be shaded with layers of blue ink and black wash so that you get a color shade, whereas the armor and sleeves etc could be highlighted up, which is basically a Tint.

This will give you a variation on the same color, but with subtle differences...it may or may not show up on camera though, given the limitations of a web palette...make sense?

You could also mix a little dark purple into one of the blues to give it a slightly warmer shade...

hope this helps,

-M

Old 21 May 2005, 03:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

I love that model...

Anyhow - I think if you cleaned up the cloths it would really help. Just giving some depth to the cloth would really do it probably, such as darkened blue in the recess and maybe some highlight on the top folds. Also, I'd recommend changing the color of the =][= on top of his hood as it is quite a symbol to have it the same color as the cloak and all as if it were cloth.

The scrolls are nice actually, they have a faded tapestry look to them.

I can't really tell what's going on with the sword, apart from my own colorblindness. But it does look interesting.

Anyhow - Looking good! Gotta love to see a mean old Inquisitor poking about
Old 21 May 2005, 05:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Spiritbw

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try and give them a go.*

I was thinking the cloak could use a ink wash either in dark blue or black to bring out the deep folds, same as his under robe.* Glad to see that some others feel the same way.* That way i know I'm on the right track!*

The outer robe doesn't really have any folds so no problems there.* There is a drybrush of turqoise on the cloak but for some reason it never shows up in any of the scans I do.* I guess it's just one of the colours that the scanner can't see for some reason.* It's to bad too as it really makes the diffrience between the armour and the cloak.

The sleeve actually isn't blue but shadow grey but in this it looks very similar to the blue, even in real life.* I might give that idea of mixing in some purple if just to see if it will vary the colour a bit more.

The Icon probably could use another colour.* Red would probably be the most striking but it seems a bit bold.* Any suggestions on how it would look best?

The sword...well the sword is in the process of being stripped.* It had WAY to much paint on it in (way to many) attempts to wet blend.* However it seems the air is too dry here as even having three brushes the paint dried to fast to get a proper blend.* I'm going to strip it down to the metal again and just paint it as I normally do.* This time I might give it a go a painting a 'glow' effect.

PS: No, he doesn't work with the Ultramarines. the blue is acutally a fair bit darker than Ultramarine blue. It's a colour I mixed myself.
Old 21 May 2005, 05:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant

the inqusition sign looks a little weird i think rest is ok :P
Old 21 May 2005, 06:16   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aun Ukos
Cool model, he looks pissed though.
Of course he's mad. He's an Inquisitor! Not the friendliest folk.

Although, that is an interesting modeling idea... Friendly Inquisitor and a cheerful retinue...
Old 21 May 2005, 19:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

SpiritBw:

I think if you did the Icon much the same as the other regalia features on the model (ie: trim, bottom of the robe) would be a nice tie-in. A gold of some kind for example, red would look too odd next to that blue I think.