Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Hunting Cadre
Old 03 Sep 2008, 15:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tau Hunting Cadre

Hi

I'm kinda new here on this forum, but I started collecting and painting a Tau army a few months ago after about a 15 year break from 40k(yes, I lament those lost years).

Anyway, I wanted to show you my army so far, and hopefully get some good tips and pointers.

Here is the army as a whole. I have recently painted a devilfish, an ethereal and a hammerhead, and I'm currently working on a new commander and will maybe post them later on.

Here is a close up of my fire warriors. I currently have three 12 man units, and they all pretty much look the same aside from minor deviations to set them apart from each other.

Kroots, bloody kroots......I wanted the kroots and vespids to have a totally different colour scheme from the rest of the army to spice things up a little.

And the vespids. I figured having the guns and the strain leader's armour in the army colour scheme would give them some coherency.

My Broadsides and Crisis Suits are pretty standard.

I once saw somewhere a stealth suit with camo pattern, and I liked it alot so I nicked the it >

Gun drones, nothing new here.....

And here is my favorite model. This is one of the first models in this army that I painted a few months ago. I carved up the breast plate and glued on a shield generator. I had never used greenstuff or plastic glue at that point so its just done with superglue and a carpet knife. I hadn't read the codex when I assembled it so I didn't know at that point how stupid it is to have three weapon systems on him, but I thought it looked cool. The shield drones are just gun drones with shield generators and sprue bits glued on.

I'm currently working on a new commander and I've recently been introduced to the wonders of greenstuff, so he might replace my old commander as my favorite model. But anyways, I just wanted to show my stuff. Comments and criticism welcome!
Old 03 Sep 2008, 15:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Yummifoamycoffee
Default Re: Tau Hunting Cadre

Bravo! Nice scheme, definatly way above tabletop standard. Nice army, with a bit of a "mean" look to it.
Nice job. Did you recently paint this after a 15 year pause?

Yummifoamycoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 15:54   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummifoamycoffee
Bravo! Nice scheme, definatly way above tabletop standard. Nice army, with a bit of a "mean" look to it.
Nice job. Did you recently paint this after a 15 year pause?
Thank you! Yes, I collected and painted an eldar army as a teenager(yes, I'm oooold, my hip hurts when it's cold), but then kinda lost my way for about 15 years until a few months ago. I think I started painting this army in January or February.
Old 03 Sep 2008, 16:39   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

nice looking army. the pics are a bit yellow in tint. So please correct me, but is your color scheme for your overall tau army white and purple? Again its hard to tell. They look really really good and i agree about making the vespid and kroot different. For not being in the hobby for 15 years, things have surely changed, but you have done a nice job getting your army up and running.
Childofdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 16:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to jais

... Dude! This is excellent! ^^

Your scheme is very good, the colors really fit nicely with eachother.
Your highlighting and shadowing is fantastic.

And... I like that Kroot with an Ork head in his hand.
jais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 16:53   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Welcome to the forums, Alabaster!

I like the color scheme a lot. It is the sort of army that looks just as good on the table as it does in the case. I am little curious about the lighting, though. Do you actually use that much yellow in the scheme, or are you finishing off closer to bleached bone? I have this issue a lot when trying to take pictures of my Deathwing.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2008, 16:55   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Welcome to the forums, and im loving the paint scheme! Great job!
Old 03 Sep 2008, 18:13   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childofdelight
nice looking army. the pics are a bit yellow in tint. So please correct me, but is your color scheme for your overall tau army white and purple?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Welcome to the forums, Alabaster!

I like the color scheme a lot. It is the sort of army that looks just as good on the table as it does in the case. I am little curious about the lighting, though. Do you actually use that much yellow in the scheme, or are you finishing off closer to bleached bone? I have this issue a lot when trying to take pictures of my Deathwing.
The pictures are a little messed up due to lighting and because I stupidly decided to remove the background and put in some gradient. The colour scheme is basically rotting flesh and purple. The rotting flesh part is based with knarloc green, washed with camo green for the yellow tint and then coated with rotting flesh. Finally I drybrush a very slight skull white on the edges.

And thanks for the positive reviews ;D
Old 03 Sep 2008, 21:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Now thats a paint job to make my Tau look possitively sloppy, brilliant work. The scheme really comes together nicely.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2008, 01:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Overall looks fantastic I particularly like the stealth suits. Good work for someone who has been on hiatus for fifteen years welcome back to 40k and welcome to TO