Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Commander Chiad and Andy
Old 08 Aug 2008, 17:53   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Tau Commander Chiad and Andy

Hey! I haven't posted anything on here for a long time so I figured I post some pictures of my newest model. As some of you know... I'm not the best painter so any comments would be appreciated.

Here he is.......

Oh, and hes not standing in a river of blood... that's going to be lava but I don't have any yellow paints right now

By the way... Andy is the shield droid

What do you guys think?
I was going for the *just been through hell and high water* look.

-Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

-never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience"

-"There are two types of people, those who like chocolate and communists."
Luker47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2008, 01:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Tau Commander Chiad and Andy

Honestly?

I hate it. Now don't get me wrong, this is my opinion. It looks like you dropped it in multi color house paint, trying to strip it using a fire hose then ran over it with a bike.

If you wanted the been through hell look you most certainly got it.

Solid colors are our friends.
Old 09 Aug 2008, 01:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Painkiller, I think that was more than a little extreme. The model is more than good, I don't really see what you dislike in it. (It's great Luker)
Shas O Mont-ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2008, 01:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

...is that a chainsword?

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2008, 02:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think it is. We need more pics to be sure.
I'm certain that when I grow old I'll become probably conservative and my rebellious teenage children will rail against me for supporting the enslavement of animals classed as "pets" under a cruel regime of apartheid, and also think I'm a bigot cos I don't want to allow neo-cyborg lupine hyper sexual marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Scoutninja's 100% correct.

Scoutninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2008, 02:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

It is a chainsword. And while JD was pretty hars, TSI I think your giving it far too much credit.

To be painfully obvious while the modeling of the suit is not terrible the painting certainly is. I mean I'm not the greatest painter on earth but that still needs a ton of work, particularly in style and supplies. Certain areas of the model look like they were given time and care and could be pretty good if the paints were different. But you really have to use the right paints (and yea JD was right solid colors help) and get a little more technique down.

Plus it would help if you used more than a handful of colors.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2008, 02:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Anyway, JD might have been a little brutal, but I kind of agree. It just looks a little too messy for me at the moment, multi-colored armor with splotches here and there.

I see some dark blue on there, so I would have painted the whole thing blue first, do your shading, highlighting, etc. Then when it's finished start dirtying it up a bit. If you want to do chipped metal you could paint black on the spots you want chipped, then paint a silver line inside, leaving the edge of the scratch black, and highlight around it with your highlight color to bring it out. If you don't want it to be too shiny I'd just use grey, the Tau suits and armor in Dawn of War had grey showing through their paint chips and I think it makes sense. I never pictured Tau armor being shiny like steel anyway. Dirt and dust is easy, very light drybrushing with brown will give you a good worn-out/been through hell look. I don't know much about oil stains and scorch marks, but it's worth looking into.

Anyway, the shield drone bothers me. He's got blue, brown, and white on him...usually it's best to stick with two main colors, adding a third color for sept markings or whatever. I'm not sure what that red is supposed to be either, hopefully not blood since it doesn't suit Tau very well...

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2008, 09:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just gotta say - your style is as far the opposite as mine as I think you could get ;D

Ok, Well, i think part of the reason your getting such ... drastic reactions from people is that it really does break the mould from the stereotypical tau battlesuit.
For perhaps chaos marines i could maybe see you pulling this one off to some degree.

Bear in mind Tau are a uniformed race, they exhibit block colours and uniformity in their paint works.

Take these comments as constructive crit and don't be disheartened.

That all aside - I love the rocky part on the base (lava is slightly bloody for my tastes :P) and the whole model does vaguely remind me of one of John Blanches stylised miniatures. If you like this style- stick with it and work on it, you don't have to conform to what everyone else is doing.
Yet lose the space marine chainsword attachment Tau don't do mele despite how cool giant mechs with chainswords are.
Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2008, 13:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I can't stand that thing on top of his head or the weapon on his right arm. ><

Its not just you. I don't like the look of them on ANY Tau battlesuit.
I'm certain that when I grow old I'll become probably conservative and my rebellious teenage children will rail against me for supporting the enslavement of animals classed as "pets" under a cruel regime of apartheid, and also think I'm a bigot cos I don't want to allow neo-cyborg lupine hyper sexual marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Scoutninja's 100% correct.

Scoutninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2008, 14:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

I'd have a similar reaction if it was a chaos marine or some such.

Don't let me discourage you from painting. Everyone starts somewhere and whilst i didn't dry brush everything like you have here, my painting was still shocking for the first few models I did. I will say the base is fantastic, except that I don't like it when the terrain spills over the side of the base. The rocks are well done, and that is where dry brushing should stay, terrain and chainmail.

The left leg... what I think is battle damage looks good. But aside from that, the model itself is poorly painted.

And why you have a chain sword on his gun is far beyond me.