Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

XV25 team with "Malfunctioning stealth field"
Old 04 Aug 2008, 12:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will
Default XV25 team with "Malfunctioning stealth field"

Well, now the competition's over (4th by ONE VOTE! So near, and yet so far... ) I guess I can finally show these guys off in Showcase and get some C&C. For these guys I attempted a little Gareth-style blended area highlighting, although it's not all that easy to see, and my blending isn't really up to scratch yet. I added a Thraka Green wash to the green bits - do you think it helped at all? Anyway, a quick explanation of the scene - the one on the left is activating his stealth field, the one on the right is rather cross because someone seems to have tampered with the stealth field settings a bit, and the 'Vre in the middle is facepalming due to the sheer idiocy of his squad. Or at least, doing as much of a facepalm as you can do in a Stealthsuit.

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 12:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: XV25 team with "Malfunctioning stealth field"

They look absolutely amazing! I tip my ghosthelm to you sir! The only thing that would top it is if underneath lingerie appeared.....

"I'm Just A Sweet Trans-Stealth-Suit!"
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2008, 15:27   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I love the one on the left, the effect looks awesome. The one on the right is meh... the paint seems a little thick and all the different colors are overwhelming (I know that's the point, though), but I love the one on the left.

Good job!
Old 04 Aug 2008, 15:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1shot1kill
link=topic=70244.msg1003142#msg1003142 date=1217863629]
I love the one on the left, the effect looks awesome. The one on the right is meh... the paint seems a little thick and all the different colors are overwhelming (I know that's the point, though), but I love the one on the left.

Good job!
Yeah, I think I was most pleased with the one on the left too - probably because I did him last. And I know what you mean about the right one - I spent bloody weeks painting and re-painting him, trying not to make the colours look thick, watering them down until I could barely use them, but in the end they still turned out a bit thick - unsuprising really, seeing as I used EVERY PAINT I OWN on him. That orange paint was the worst. But the colours do look a little better IRL - that isn't a very flattering photo of him, bad light and not his best angle, but the other two look quite good in it, which is why it's the photo I used in the comp.

limpchickeninabizkit: I might try that lingerie idea if I get another Stealth squad...

Old 05 Aug 2008, 01:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote for squad:
"Aw, dammit! Who left these things set on party mode?!"
Springfield Fatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2008, 08:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Heh heh, they look great nice original idea. BTW if you ever use them in gaming they can't have the Stealth field special rule, it would ruin the effect

Paintingwise they look great though although I think the Fusion blaster could be cleaned up a bit in the glowing ridges from this angle they look a bit messy other than that they're very good.

"All I know is my gut says maybe."

"Your neutralness, it's a beige alert!"

"If I die, tell my wife.... hello."
GWIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2008, 12:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to jais

The one on the left has a pretty convincing effect,
you did a really good job.

As for the one on the right, the paint isn't perfect, but the idea is very cool.
jais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2008, 15:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

comedy and neat painting, great combo. Not bad at all.

[size=10pt]Scale120[/size]
kailore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2008, 15:35   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

I voted for you!

I liked the idea much more than some of the other entries. Some better pics of the thick painted one are in order though.

Show us what he looks like irl, or as close to it as possible please.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2008, 19:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Springfield: Awesome. I think I might have to write that on his base rim.

GWIZZ: Yeah, that seems to show up a lot on photos. Another thing to sort...

Jais: Glad you liked the idea behind the squad - it was one I had months ago, and decided that one day I would have to make a squad of it - he didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but ah well. As for the guy on the left, I must admit that looking back through the archives, it seems somebody else did the exact same thing a little while ago. And a few other people did on other sites as well - I did actually think it up myself, but it's hardly original. Great minds think alike, eh?

kailore: Thanks. From an amazing painter such as yourself that means a lot. My Tau painting is hardly up to the standards of the average ATTer, but I must say they're about my favourite army to paint, and I find it much easier to attempt more advanced techniques on them.

Slave: Thanks for your support in the comp (I must say I was suprised I got as far as 4th - to think I was only 1 vote behing that amazing Deathwing command squad ), and as for the pictures, "Asketh and lo, ye shall receive!"

That Dark Angels freehand symbol took a few tries to get right - probably one of my favourite bits of him, along with the random cow markings

Not the greatest of shots, but it gives a nice view of his upper left leg, another of my favourite bits, as well as the tiny smiley face and question mark on the back of his heels

And a few closeups of the guy on the left, because I like him:

A nice view of the little bits of yellow freehand writing on the legs, as well as the highlighting there

This guy seems like a bit of a poser - it's like he's pulling a Superman pose and proudly declaring in his most manly voice "Activate cloaking field!", much the chagrin of his long-suffering 'Vre. ;D

The dappled woodland camo (partially inspired by kailore's oa'k scheme) is, again, one of my favourite bits - I'll definately be using it on other models. And BTW, the lighter band of colour on the "uncloaked" bit of the BC isn't just the light hitting it, it's part of the highlighting.

By the way, I have one question - I've always hated the codex Au'taal scheme, but always wanted to collect the "lazy sept", so this is my interpretation of the Au'taal scheme. However, there's not a trace of Scorpion Green on it, despite it being the sept colour! Is there any way I can justify this fluffily?