Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Half Sculpt, heavily converted deviltyrant finished pics.
Old 15 Jun 2008, 22:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Half Sculpt, heavily converted deviltyrant finished pics.

Ok, this model originally started off life as a taloned horror, a smallish monstrous creature capable of leaping. Here is a pic

The original taloned horror rules were written for the Second Tyrannic Campaign last year and after the event I was left with a non legal model, and with Apocalypse released, I saw the potential for a 2nd winged hive tyrant (I have a forgeworld one).

The original taloned horror came about from left over fex lower torso, tail and legs, basically the left over parts from my red terror conversion. This mean't I had to sculpt the entire upper torso and back carapace myself. I used the Battle for Macragge hive node for the tail extension and I used dex scything talon forearms to extend the legs then used greenstuff and fex spikes to create taloned feet.

When it came to the tyrant conversion, it needed a more recognisable tyrant head, so I greenstuffed a fex tusked head to a 3rd edition tyrant crest. I also greenstuffed on some new extended carapace to make it look like it had a 3+ save. I chopped off all the limbs and added some balrog wings. The balrog wings have had devourers and greenstuff nid like vents worked into them, I also filed off some of the lava like scales.

The offensive front arms, feature scratch sculpted upper arms, and then warrior barbed strangler with 2 devourer heads blended into the main weapon body. I used monstrous creature rending claws to get a predator mouth style to the devourers, this really helped them because they were pretty flat and boring.

When it came to painting, I had to step back and re-evaluate the scheme. The green wasn't working, its too much contrast. Its the problem with coming up with your own scheme you don't know what it looks like until you have something tangible in front of you. I'd done a test stealer (seen on the right, old scheme on the left).

Well I've waffled on enough with the reasons, so here are the pics...

Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2008, 23:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox
Default Re: Half Sculpt, heavily converted deviltyrant finished pics.

Very nice
Very nice indeed,
I don't like the gap where wing joins body but I'm guessing that's so they can come off for transport

And that poor marine..

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jun 2008, 23:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
Very nice
Very nice indeed,
I don't like the gap where wing joins body but I'm guessing that's so they can come off for transport

And that poor marine..
It does butt up perfectly, but it slipped for the photo... typical. They do come off for transport. Its too large and awkward to glue in place... although I could magnetise it to the bonnet of my car like some form of Rolls Royce Flying Lady... might look daft on a fiesta though...
Old 15 Jun 2008, 23:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

I vote for magnetising it to front of car ;D

Yeah that's the biggest problem with winged models.. the more impressive they are the harder they become to transport

Great job

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 03:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I must say, that is a very impressive model. The new bits, sculpting and paint put it leagues ahead of the former taloned horror. I love the sculpting... in fact, you've gotten so good that I find it hard to see where the GW ends and your stuff begins...

This is the kind of work I aspire to with my projects
Mr. Trulybored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 03:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

How come Ultramarines are so common features as additions to Chaos and Tyranid bases?

Anyway a very sweet model and a great paint job... as usual .

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 03:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to deraj Send a message via MSN to deraj

Poor marine... oh wait, lets compliment the 'Nid. He reminds me of some fighter plane, with the guns on his wing joint. I can just picture some horrific strafing runs. No offense, but it looks much better now.
deraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 08:15   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Nice to see my old head get some use ;D

Ver nice job there sir!
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jun 2008, 13:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Trulybored
I must say, that is a very impressive model. The new bits, sculpting and paint put it leagues ahead of the former taloned horror. I love the sculpting... in fact, you've gotten so good that I find it hard to see where the GW ends and your stuff begins...

This is the kind of work I aspire to with my projects
Thats the key to a good conversion, make it look like a new model thats not easily recognised. I hate conversions which are just parts bolted onto a base figure. I'm pleased you see me as aspirational. Although clearly you need to look at others work as i'm noting special, not compared to people like Hydra, Moloch and Navarro... these are the guys I aspire to be like. (-:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
How come Ultramarines are so common features as additions to Chaos and Tyranid bases?

Anyway a very sweet model and a great paint job... as usual .
In this case its because I have an UM 4th company army... see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deraj
Poor marine... oh wait, lets compliment the 'Nid. He reminds me of some fighter plane, with the guns on his wing joint. I can just picture some horrific strafing runs. No offense, but it looks much better now.
No offense taken, I wanted it to look better then the taloned horror. yeah it kicks out 12 str5 shots with rerolls to hit and to wound. Only 18" range for the weapons but its got wings so not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILK
Nice to see my old head get some use ;D

Ver nice job there sir!
And I'd like to personally thank you again for making this conversion possible. Glad you like it.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 13:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

That is one miiiiiiiighty fine 'Nid! Very inventive and it looks so dynamic!

Plus, I just love that base! It's very Aliens :P

(And what the hell is with the Tau with the tape measure? :P)
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote