Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Valhallan Priest and Commander- Complete Sculpts (IMG)
Old 01 Jun 2008, 00:04   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Valhallan Priest and Commander- Complete Sculpts (IMG)

Well, the first model here was featured in the HQ Competition. It didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but I'm still pretty pleased with how it came out.

The first is another version of the oft seen Generalissimo Arkadia Vladyvich Stankov, my Heroic Senior Officer. One of these days I'll compile pictures of every model that he consists of. But for now this is my favorite.

The second model's based off a picture in the Imperial Guard Codex Edition 3. I'm pretty pleased with the final product, though I think the paintjob could be better. He doesn't really represent anyone, though some say he'd make a good priest.

So without further ado, here they are, my first two completely sculpted models (Well, not the grenades, power sword, and a few pouches, and part of the lasgun, as well as the boots, but you catch my drift, I'm sure.)

Well, tell me what you think!

Stankov

PS: I see now a lot of green on the second model through the folds of his coat. They don't show up when given a cursory glance, but I'll see to them now. Thanks!

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Ge. Stankov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2008, 08:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Valhallan Priest and Commander- Complete Sculpts (IMG)

Hey Stankov, I'm going to be completely honest here and say I'm a little let down by the paint job after seeing the fantastic sculpt you did for this guy. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad by any means, and it's criticism I get quite often when you do a conversion that is so awesome people kind of expect a ridiculously good paint job as well.

I think the transition of the grey could be a little more fluid. You could try work with a matte medium or flow enhancer to work on blending/shading the colors. Grey is a very easy color to shade so I would suggest trying different techniques on extra bits until you find something easy that works well for you.

Again, this is a great model all around. I love it, but you've shown your sculpting skills are phenomenal , so now you should try and work on getting your painting skills to that level.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Jun 2008, 14:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadaver
Hey Stankov, I'm going to be completely honest here and say I'm a little let down by the paint job after seeing the fantastic sculpt you did for this guy. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad by any means, and it's criticism I get quite often when you do a conversion that is so awesome people kind of expect a ridiculously good paint job as well.

I think the transition of the grey could be a little more fluid. You could try work with a matte medium or flow enhancer to work on blending/shading the colors. Grey is a very easy color to shade so I would suggest trying different techniques on extra bits until you find something easy that works well for you.

Again, this is a great model all around. I love it, but you've shown your sculpting skills are phenomenal , so now you should try and work on getting your painting skills to that level.
My feelings exactly! I didn't really want to say it first post, just to see if you guys said the same thing. The sculpt was something amazing that came out of nowhere for me, and then I sort of ruined it with the paint job.
I mean, its decent, but as you said it doesn't follow up the sculpt very well.

Now, I'd like to identify what exactly I need to fix. You say the grey, that I see now is pretty bad. I'll blend that with a little water, and maybe highlight with some Fortress Grey mixed with white.

The flesh is also not as good as I'd like, along with his beard. I'll try and fix those as well. Also, the eye sort of has a "Please follow the Emperor? " look to it, not at all like the picture.

Please, be frank, what else is wrong so I can correct it?

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 02 Jun 2008, 19:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The reds and everything else looks fine, it's just the grey that could use some work IMO. Maybe you could give the new washes a try when they come out. I think a thin wash of Badab Black might draw the colors together a little more, although it would darker the coat as well.
Old 02 Jun 2008, 19:51   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmmm, so sort of blend the greys? I suppose I could always just water down Fortress Grey and coat everything... or as you said use the new wash.

Are these new washes inks, or are they much lighter? Because I think an ink wash unthinned would be too dark, though if it comes to that I'll take your advice and water it down.

Any tips on the flesh? It just doesn't seem right to me.

Stankov

Old 03 Jun 2008, 08:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ok, washes are different from inks. They're similar but washes aren't glossy like inks are. So using a heavily watered down paint would basically be the same as a wash, but the GW washes are supposed to really blend the colors like inks do without the glossiness.

Regardless, using a wash or ink on grey paint would require a black wash, since they isn't really a grey wash, except for Vallejo Smoky Grey. That is close to black anyway, so it shouldn't matter.

The real problem I see is leaving the crevasses in the cloth folds completely black, when that is just too strong a contrast. Try using Adeptus Battlegrey and working up to codex grey, fortress grey and then apply a wash. That should blend the colors nicely. It will be a bit darker but the transition of the colors will look much better.
Old 04 Jun 2008, 00:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ah, I see. Sort of build up the grey from the black, as the contrast between Chaos Black and Codex Grey is simply too much.

Well, this Adeptus Battlegrey I assume is a new foundation paint. I'll just mix Codex and Chaos and hope for the best. My budget, unfortunately, is too restricted to do otherwise... though I'll definately be looking at the washes when they come out, thats for sure.

Thanks for all your help, I'll try and hope on this as soon as possible, though I'm just finishing up a pretty cool sculpt of a Savlar Chem-Dog... pictures soon, hopefully.

Thanks!
Stankov