Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Feeling Brave! Some feedback please peeps.
Old 14 May 2008, 02:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Feeling Brave! Some feedback please peeps.

I would love some tips to improve my painting. I know that 'practice makes perfect'. But some hints from some of the best would be mucho appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Commander.jpg (65.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Pirahna.jpg (64.8 KB, 87 views)
Old 14 May 2008, 04:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Feeling Brave! Some feedback please peeps.

I'm surely not 'one of the best' but I have a few tips/grievances.

I would water down your paints, they look very thick.

File off any flash, mold lines are probably the number two killer of well painted models.

The number one killer is gaps. A little green stuff (or any number of other materials you can use) can go a very long way in improving a model's appearance.

If you want to get lenses down fairly well this guide http://www.coolminiornot.com/go.php/...clephp/aid/41? is one of the best ones I've found out there.

I really like the color scheme of your stealths by the way. Their paint is pretty well applied, a few minor details (applying a little greenstuff) and they'll be looking superb in a short time. I personally dislike the egg stealths, but I'm not judging based upon that.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 09:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Commissar_Will

These are good models, better than the vast majority of painters out there I must say. There's nothing wrong with your painting on a basic level - you haven't gone over the edges anywhere I can see, and the battle damage is nice - all you need to do to improve is try out a few more advanced techniques. Start by watering down your paints like Enderwiggin said. Trust me, I never used to water down mine, and now that I do my models look infinitely better. Also, experiment a little with highlighting - as it is, the brown on large models like the Crisis Suits looks really flat. You don't have to highlight every model at first, just experiment a bit until you've got the technique nailed. Just remember to start from a colour that's not mjch lighter than the first, otherwise it'll just look like someone's painted the edges of their suit in a different colour, as opposed to the way the light naturally falls on it. Once you master edge highlighting, you can try more complex techniques, such as blended edge highlighting - that is, painting a model in the way light would naturally fall on it from a particular light source (eg top is lightest, bottom is darkest, top-facing slopes are slightly darker than top-facing flat surfaces, sides are slightly darker again etc). Gareth's Tau should give you a good reference if you're trying for that effect, but I wouldn't try it until you've mastered simpler techniques first.

Hope that helped!

My Space Marine project log
Commissar_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 09:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

use ink's and water downed paints, dry brush a bit etc, just get rid of those solid blocks of colour.

try this for the battlesuits,

get a really watered down paint, about 1 part paint to 6 parts water, apply it in small patches and blobs all over the model in various stages and shades. the paint will slightly stain the area in a random swatch of colours. or, if you feel really brave, try blotting, I've used this on a nurgle tank, while i need to perfect the technique but it looks good.

basically, you get half water half paint, in about 2-3 colours, paint them all on in various lines blobs and patterns, then, while wet, get a piece of paper [make sure it's fairly absorbent, just enough to take away most of the paint and leave a pattern] just slightly larger than the area you've done, put it down on the wet paint and press into with your finger tips [being careful to hold the paper in place] or the end of a brush. when you've pressed as much as you want [try to get all of the surface you've painted] pull the paper away quickly in a few directions [pull it away unevenly]. hopefully, it will have blended the colours in area's and produced beautiful patterns and textures in the surface.if you applied too much paint or if the paper wasn't absorbent enough then keep trying until you get the effect right. obviously it would be wise to try it out on say, an undercoated plate of plasticard. i used this on the back of a nurgle predator, the effect was okay but since it was the first time i tried it off canvass [i have used the technique in my art course in college] it was a bit too strong.

i hope anynoe who feels curious will try this technique because i believe it can produce quite amazing results. [when practiced.]

Unfortunately, looking back to the things posted here, I realised I can now do much better :3

Here are my step by step tutorials for ease of use
Dreadnought close combat arms
Ig tanks
Ork PowerKlaw
messyart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 10:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'd steer clear of edge highlighting. In my eyes it is getting into bad habits. I would go straight in and try to learn blended area highlights. The results are more realistic, subtle, and the mark of a good painter.

So far, you demonstrate neatness, which is great. So I definitely think you're ready to start blending colours together. There are lots of ways to do it, but if you water your paints you'll find many methods easier.

To help explain what I mean and give you a look into what your mini would look like with blended area highlights, i've been busy in photoshop. Now i've effectively done the hard job of working out where all the highlighting and shading should go for you, all you have to do is copy the image.

Hope this helps.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 10:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Here is a pic of theory into practice. My subtle area blended suits. These are quick to do, a day or 2 for all 3 - so I classify them as noting more then gaming standard but decent subtle highlights make them a little bit more then just 3 colours and based.

Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2008, 11:31   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thankyou very much people. I just got a new XV8, so i will attempt some new techniques. Thankyou again....very nice 'photoshopping' by the way.
Old 16 May 2008, 16:05   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'll add one more comment here just because its something I have experienced myself recently.

Be careful with your paints as far as aging is concerned. This is more relevant for the colors you have in your collection but don't use very often. (I have some GW paints here unopened that are over ten years old)

Once a paint is opened, even if it is sealed well it tends to start to age. After a few years it not only gets a little thick, but can also get lumpy and generally crappy. Even adding water to old paints can sometime not help. As a general rule I have found trying to use paints in this state will guarantee a bad looking job. As much as you might not want to throw away a paint pot that is still half full, I think its worse to potentially spoil a $50 mini because you've used old paints.

This is probably pretty rare for people who have only started painting, but if you inherited stuff from a friend or family member it really is worth going through the paints. Check them all, see if they can be thinned out, and any that are getting lumpy, just chuck em.

Oh and quality of brushes is also really important, tatty brushes are your worst enemy. If you are going to spend heaps on this hobby or even a little bit try to put some aside for the tools (paints and brushes)
It can seriously make a huge difference.

Your painting is nice and careful and frankly you are doing a great job, you just need to do the last step of highlighting which the others have already mentioned. Keep up the good work.
Old 16 May 2008, 18:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Its nice I mean look at it this way its more than table top worthy and well id say they are perfect as you have done them.
Well done
Old 17 May 2008, 11:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to OmikronAlpha

Wow, great looking models. Very clean, great battle damage. Definately above tabletop standard, in my opinion.

I'd follow Gareth's advice here and try your hand at some area blending. Probably the best way to go about it is to practice on a unit you don't want - go down to your local hobby store or Games Workshop and see if they've got any discarded models you can practice on - If they've got something they can spare it's usually broken or painted horribly but remember it's just a canvas, and that's what you'll want.

Make sure to show us how you go afterwards, the neatness of your painting so far shows you're a very patient and steady craftsman - two skills that go along way in the hobby (Or so I'm told :P)