Warhammer 40K Forum

Shikha’Sei Hunter Cadre
Old 11 May 2008, 20:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Shikha’Sei Hunter Cadre

Photo1
Photo2
Photo3

The Shikha’Sei Hunter Cadre from my 'Red Cadre' fanfiction. The Shas get more white and gold as they get higher in rank (so that XV8 could do with some more white/gold).

"Representing their relative embracing of individuality compared to the other Cadres, the units have un-uniform colour patterns, yet still with the same basic colours of red-white-gold. Each Fire Warrior may pick their own colour of shin armour, which sometimes makes their lower legs contrast with the rest of their uniform; with some enemies and fellow Tau giving the Shikha’Sei the derogatory name of “The sock troopers”."

Though some of them still need a little more work, such as the Forgeworld Broadside that looks like its been painted with Tip-ex. ^-^
Old 12 May 2008, 01:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher
Default Re: Shikha’Sei Hunter Cadre

I do not really like them. I think they need more detail. They look okay but need more detail. Also take your pictures with more light.
Old 12 May 2008, 03:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Melkor of Morgoth Send a message via MSN to Melkor of Morgoth Send a message via Yahoo to Melkor of Morgoth

The armor definitely needs highlighting. I'm not sure I like the individual shin guards, the tau are all about "unity for the good of the whole" and it looks kind of silly.

On the plus side, you seem to have gotten pretty good coverage with your red, a difficult feat to pull off, congrats on that.
Old 12 May 2008, 03:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to The Mothman

Guy, you need a hand, but don't worry!
I'm here for you.
A) Water your paints down, the visible brush strokes and clumps on minis is like finding a drowned rat in an otherwise perfect pint of Guinness.
B) Dry brush some highlights, since the other ways of highlighting look like they might be a ways beyond your abilities.
C) Tau are commies, commies all have matching uniforms.
D) Don't think we hate you, you should see the garbage I put out when I first started.
Old 12 May 2008, 15:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Wu
Also take your pictures with more light.
Ive now adjusted the levels of the first pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melkor of Morgoth
The armor definitely needs highlighting. I'm not sure I like the individual shin guards, the tau are all about "unity for the good of the whole" and it looks kind of silly.

On the plus side, you seem to have gotten pretty good coverage with your red, a difficult feat to pull off, congrats on that.
Ya thanks, I'll have a go at highlighting further than just inking. I might do some drybrushing like Mothman suggested.

I gave them that individual shin armour as I wanted to have some individuality to my models without making them look Orky (Space Marine head trophies etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothman
I'm here for you.
A) Water your paints down, the visible brush strokes and clumps on minis is like finding a drowned rat in an otherwise perfect pint of Guinness.
B) Dry brush some highlights, since the other ways of highlighting look like they might be a ways beyond your abilities.
C) Tau are commies, commies all have matching uniforms.
D) Don't think we hate you, you should see the garbage I put out when I first started.
A) How would you do that exactly? I'm well aware of that issue and I try to make my brushes dry(er) before applying them, but the paint still gets runny, even when brushing the larger parts onto newspaper so that I don't get a massive splodge all over a small model detail. Maybe I could try using multiple brushes of the same size, so that I don't have to wash the brush every single time I use a different colour.
B) Thanks, though perhaps you could mention those other techniques before riding off on your high horse.
C) As I said above, I'd like each model to have somekind of individuality to them. Plus, I want to have my Cadre go against the grain (though not in a Farsfight way).
Old 12 May 2008, 15:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

It's an intresting scheme but the problem is it's difficult too tell whether some things are mistakes or if they are supposed to like that, but they are certainly unique and a lot more imaginitive than anything I've done. (Just the standard sa'cea)

"All I know is my gut says maybe."

"Your neutralness, it's a beige alert!"

"If I die, tell my wife.... hello."
GWIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2008, 19:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFarsight
Quote:
I'm here for you.
When I first attempted watering my paints, I had such a hard time coming up with the right consistency. My suggestions is to aim for the consistency of milk. The best thing I had ever read about watering down paint is that it is dependent on the age and color of the paint itself. The older the paint is the more water is needed. A good place to start is with a very clean brush dunk in very clean water. Drag the brush on a paper towel or newspaper until it is damp. Then dip in the paint. Test your mixture before applying to the mini. I'd suggest cleaning your brush more often than just when you switch colors. I'd recommend anytime you feel like your brush is getting stiff, or you see paint drying in the brushes or the ferrule.

Then having said that, practice, practice and practice.

As for the more advanced highlighting techniques, they are reliant on paint flow control. After you've inked your mini to create the shadows, use sucessive layers of lighter color on the edges and raised elements of the mini. I wont go into detail here as there are numerous tutorials on this site and others.

Good luck and let me know if you want other suggestions.

BTW, these are yours and if you choose to give them mis-matched socks then by God they should have mis-matched socks. Just bear with us when we chuckle at them.
Old 12 May 2008, 20:10   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I definately think you should paint in the Tau Empire symbols on their shoulders
Old 12 May 2008, 22:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShasOPeteDawg
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFarsight
Quote:
I'm here for you.
When I first attempted watering my paints, I had such a hard time coming up with the right consistency. My suggestions is to aim for the consistency of milk. The best thing I had ever read about watering down paint is that it is dependent on the age and color of the paint itself. The older the paint is the more water is needed. A good place to start is with a very clean brush dunk in very clean water. Drag the brush on a paper towel or newspaper until it is damp. Then dip in the paint. Test your mixture before applying to the mini. I'd suggest cleaning your brush more often than just when you switch colors. I'd recommend anytime you feel like your brush is getting stiff, or you see paint drying in the brushes or the ferrule.

Then having said that, practice, practice and practice.

As for the more advanced highlighting techniques, they are reliant on paint flow control. After you've inked your mini to create the shadows, use sucessive layers of lighter color on the edges and raised elements of the mini. I wont go into detail here as there are numerous tutorials on this site and others.

Good luck and let me know if you want other suggestions.

BTW, these are yours and if you choose to give them mis-matched socks then by God they should have mis-matched socks. Just bear with us when we chuckle at them.
Thanks for the advise . And mis-matched socks are the least weirdness you'll encounter on the tabletop when against my Tau; as you could run into an Invader Zim Devilfish (or 'Irken Doomfish&#39. Adding fun'lil things like that to the game makes it more fun to beat people with them, and generally making building the army more interesting. I like keep to the fluff overall, but it's still good to have that little extra thing to stick a finger up to the hardcore Fluff Nazis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X
I definately think you should paint in the Tau Empire symbols on their shoulders
Ya, that's partialy becase they are already (though not properly) on there and its hard to paint them in, and partially because they were orignally a Farsight force, before I found out about the damned 'can't have Enclave rules if the commander isn't there' thing. Though I could try and get a dry brush or even some pointed wood (which is good for drawing words onto tanks, apparently) to get that Fire Caste symbol painted in nice and proper.
Old 14 May 2008, 20:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Drybrushing- Ok, so you have painted your tau a tasteful shade of red and inked them to add some shading, now is the time to drybrush for that instant result of added depth.
Get your drybrushing brush, this is a special brush with stiffer bristles than your regular brush.
Take mine for example - Brush A - for drybrushing whole tyranids

And brush B for slightly more specific drybrushes.

In this case id recommend something closer to brush A.
Ok now, get a load of paint on your dry brush (dry it with kitchen towel) and wipe the majority off onto your pallet/tile/kitchentable. Now, you know those annoying foamy bits in the GW blister packs that most people throw away? They are fantastic for removing excess paint from your brush prior to drybrushing, rub your brush onto this foam (or kitchen towel) until it leaves just a faint trace of paint. Test this on the back of your hand if you are unsure.
Now you are ready to go.
Drag the brush over the model, gently towards you. Dont push the bristles away from you.
Once your brush stops leaving a trace of paint. Reload it with the paint on your pallet/tile/kitchen table and wipe of the excess, repeating the process again.

On your tau i think you should be drybrushing with red gore? Or a very light brush of blood red. If you are feeling adventurous, do red gore first then blood red after, more lightly. Then you'll achieve more depth

One you have the armour painted using this method, you'll need to paint any other details where you have smeared them in red, so save painting your nice white shin pads 'till after
Good luck.
Thantos is offline   Reply With Quote