Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

My Death Korps Troop Command Squad
Old 28 Apr 2008, 19:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default My Death Korps Troop Command Squad

Hey fellow Death Korps lovers, I've completed my Death Korps Troop Command Squad, with a few tinks here and there.

It's been ages since I've ever painted, this is my first time that I've fully painted a full squad! :P

Righto, I chose this scheme because I thought it was quick and effective, it's supposed to represent the regiment wearing snowy clothing, due to them being on a frozen/snowy planet somewhere...

Onto the squad/models! ;D

The pics maybe a bit pixelated..I used my webcam, and I did try to make the pics as clear as possible. :P

Troop Command Squad Front

Troop Command Squad Right

Troop Command Squad Left

Troop Command Ensign Front
I'm very very proud of the flag

Troop Command Ensign Back

Troop Command Officer Front
Notice I've changed his powersword to a chainsword because the powersword broke off :P

Troop Command Officer Back

Troop Command Vox Operator Front
I had to convert his hand, by chopping off a spare hand with a grenade held in it because the Lasgun.. you know.. got broke off :P

Troop Command Vox Operator Back

Troop Command Guardsmen with Special Weapon Front

Troop Command Guardsmen with Special Weapon Back

Troop Command Guardsmen Front
Now this guy should of had another special weapon, but since I couldn't find it (in the package), I had to give him a Cadian Guardsmen's throwing grenade arm.

Troop Command Guardsmen Back

The scheme I used:

- Undercoat whole model Chaos Black.
- Drybrush, or paint on Shadow Grey onto the clothing, helmet etc. (Leave the weapons black)
- Drybrush Skull White onto the Shadow Grey, including the clothing and helmet etc.
- Paint Shining Gold onto the 'C' on the right shoulder, then using Black Ink to wash it in order to make the 'C' stand out. Also onto the armour and Aquila insignia on the helmet, again use Black Ink on the Aquila insignia to make it stand out. Paint the pole of the Ensign Shining Gold and up to the top of the flag up to the Aquila, and around the flags edges, also onto the Officer's sword handle guard thing :P.
- On special weapons, dry brush Tin Bitz onto the nuzzle end of the gun, to make it look it has been used many times.
- Paint Boltgun Metal onto where you think the metallic parts of the Lasgin/pistol are.

I'll let you decide how you want your flag colored to what ever Regiment you are thinking/doing. You are welcome to copy my idea and use it as your own, but please don't claim it as your own.

Comments & Criticisms welcome, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, I hope I've helped you onto the way or gave you an idea of how the Death Korps can be painted.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2008, 19:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: My Death Korps Troop Command Squad

Very nice! Not like, super perfect, but still really well done. Plus it's DKoK so that makes it a bazillion times better!
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2008, 19:42   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Very nice! Not like, super perfect, but still really well done. Plus it's DKoK so that makes it a bazillion times better!
Thank you very much Tak'Ukos.

Old 29 Apr 2008, 05:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by General D
Actually, the pictures, in my opinion, enhance the uber-coolness of the models. Makes me wish I could have afforded a Death Korps army.
Love them, good work.
Thank you General D.

Old 30 Apr 2008, 03:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Looks great Snow siege army. You still can improve a little so keep trying.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 03:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Very nice! I can't wait to see the rest of this.
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2008, 06:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Doctor Wu, GeekyGator, thank you both, I've got a Death Korps Troop Squad (At Ease) So I'll try to perfect this scheme, and try to borrow my Dad's camera for better pics.

Keep the Comments & Criticism coming!

Old 30 Apr 2008, 18:24   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

The Death Korps models are of course fantastic and it's nice to see them. However I think you scheme is somehow... lacking. I suppose the biggest problem is the lack of contrast or detail. Armor and all their clothing is the same color of grey. What about the gas mask tubes and mechanism on their chest? What about the cloth that wraps their legs, what about pants, and their armor? At the very least these should all be at least slightly different shades and throw in some browns, maybe paint their backpacks brown, their pants a bit darker and the cloth about their shins a lighter cream or white. The tubes on their masks could be very dark grey or brown, and the filters on their chest could be a similar color.

Just throw in some more detail then monotone grey. The models are fantastic and very expensive, limiting your painting scheme to the minimum doesn't do the models justice. Your painting seems just fine, not Golden Daemon but no major problems either, if you just broaden your scheme and add some more depth and shading and variety to the models you could enhance the scheme very easily and make it look 10 times better.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 May 2008, 16:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks Vash, I'll take what you've said into consideration, I've still got a squad (At Ease) to do, I'll try to perfect my scheme on them, and pick out the many details as you've said. The Troop Command Squad were my test models, because I wanted to see what the scheme was like on a couple of models. And ok, maybe I could of picked out the Gas Mask tube, but hey, everyone starts from somewhere.

Old 01 May 2008, 18:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi Sensei
but hey, everyone starts from somewhere.
That they do, and I've got frankenstein models hidden in my closset too. Even now I don't exactly enjoy painting and I tend to rush. But from experience I can say that the best way to get good results is to use a variety of complementory colors and even just using slightly different shades can have a very good effect, even without a lot, or even any highlighting.

The way I do it is I pick a squad of say 5-10 models, I line them up and I paint all of them at the same time, going down the line by color. First the primary colors, like for my Ultramarines it's Ultramarines blue. That goes on all their armor for the whole squad. Then I do secondary colors, white on purity seals, metal on boltguns and metalic details. Then I do gold shoulder pad trim and chest eagles and symbols on their guns and backpacks. Then I go back with the highlight colors, Ultramarines blue mixed with a little white and just quickly dry brush that over the armor. Then I do the gun casings, Scab Red just quickly over the gun casings. Then I do the eyes, Blood Red and for the rank and file I don't even highlight the eye lenses. Finally I add any scrollwork on the armor and purity seals and let them dry before I stick the transfers on.

So applying a similar method to the Kriege. Take the models and line them up, take your starting Grey and go over all their coats with it. Then take that grey and add some black too it, put that on their pants and gloves and maybe even their gas masks. Then get some more of the base Grey and add some white too it and use that for their armor, the shoulder pads and helmets and torso armor if they've got it.

Then you go back to the standard grey, add a little bit of white too it and dry brush it over their coats for the highlights, not over the top just lightly. Do the same even lighter for the armor and a little bit for their pants and masks. For the armor I'd suggest after the grey highlights take a silver or boltgun metal and very, very lightly dry brush over the armor plates and a little thicker on the edges. Like metal armor that's paint is chipping in the harsh conditions. Just to emphasise where the armor begins and ends and the clothing starts.

Then take a brown, preferably on the darkish side and use that on their boots, respirator tubes and chest mechanism, as well as any buckles or straps. dry brush a little along the bottom of their coats for dirt. Not heavily just a little.

Then take boltgun metal and go over their guns and any solid metal insignia like skulls and eagles and that kind of thing. Then take a slightly lighter metal and go over their guns again with a dry brush just to add a little bit of depth. For the gun casings take a very dark grey and highlight the black slightly with a light dry brush.

Lastly take a cream or off white and do the wrapping around their feet and any purity seals with that or any bandages etc and highlight it lightly with skull white.

If you want to then you can take a gold and lightly dry brush over the silver metalic details like buckles, eagles, skulls etc to give the metal color a burnished look. and then maybe go over their eye lenses with a dab of black, let that dry and then put a tiny dot of white in the corner to bring out the lenses.

Then your done, 10 models shouldn't take more than an hour that way. You do the painting by colors so it goes faster, clean your brush by dipping it in a small bottle of paint thinner and wiping it off on a towel between colors to help keep the colors clean. That way you have quickly and efficiently (and usually quite painlessly) painted up a decent to rather good table top quality for the models in a relatively short ammount of time. The highlights are minimal but they don't have to be heavy to give depth to the colors, and by varying the shades from one section of clothing to the next you add even more depth and interesting details to the models without anymore work then mixing a dab of black or white into whatever color your using.

Quick, efficient, easy and the results are great. I'm no Golden Daemon painter (I totally lack the patience) and I don't even like painting, but with the method I just described I've been able to paint several hundred models so far relatively quickly to table top or even a bit better standards.

Also remember practice makes perfect. If you screw up it's no big deal, just go back and touch it up when you get a chance. Honestly I don't even find it necessary to thin GW paints, you just work from a pallet (heck printer paper works just laid down on a table) and use the dry brush technique to keep your coats thin and even, varying the ammount of paint on your brush to do highlights or solid colors. I usually don't even have to do multiple coats.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote