Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

'watercolor' eldar tank, vyper, autarch. reposted from eldar forum
Old 24 Feb 2008, 21:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 'watercolor' eldar tank, vyper, autarch. reposted from eldar forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
Well this is my 'abstract art' paint scheme I have been working on. Sorry if the photo is a little fuzzy... it's a camcorder taking a still photo... or 8) maybe its the holo field...

Essentialy its an awful lot of layered up drybrushing over random swirls and squiggles of many different colors that I did in basic colors over black primer. 'Starry night' and 'the Scream' paintings were the thought behind the swirly bits, techniquewise not content-wise. Over the black primer is a base of bronze and boltgun to make them shiney, covered in all the swirly colors and finally washed in very thinned out purple ink (which blends it to the rest of the army also all washed in purple).

It carries my fire dragons around and the Vyper kicks around behind it in game. They look similar but couldn't make it for the photo shoot I'm afraid. I wanted to get that whole 'eldar are artists' kind of vibe on this army. The dragons it carries are the same way, rather that the usual orange and yellow they are all kind of watercolory looking, because real fire has blues and greens and such in it too. Besides this way it blends in with anything, as do the rest of the models. Even the Harlequins look like they belong because everybody has a touch of every colour just some have more of a color than others.

It's like watercolor painting. fuzzy... hazey... blended together... can't really tell where one color stops and the next one starts, so I wicked it a bit with very slight white drybrushing after the thin wash of dark purple to give the whole thing a faded together look and help make the details and edges stand out a bit. Hey Eldar are Artists, right? I figured there may be this 'Azave' craftworld (just my fluffy name for it based on a shortening of the name of the street where I live) I represent it as its Autarch floating out in the middle of the void, left alone... so they have time to do swirly things on their tanks.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2008, 09:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: 'watercolor' eldar tank, vyper, autarch. reposted from eldar forum

I guess the most important thing is that you like them. I think you should paint the frames on the canopies tho, they look a little too plastic on the serpent. I dunno about how artsy these look, they rather look like there were made of Iron, and have been standing on a junkyard for decades, before being taken back into use, rusted and corroded. An intresting "art" statement for Eldar, surely.

I find your last line a bit curious, if you paint your stuff like this, why should you care what some GW basecoat perfectionists think, if you like 'em. You must've known from the beginning that what your painting doesn't correspond with what you think you won't be awarded tournament points for. I find it funny that you preblame people for stuff, before anyone on this forum has said anything. Then again, you're not getting too many replies either.

I kinda fail to see what's so watercolory about your stuff tho, there's nothing to them that can't be done with normal acryllics or thinned oils. If it looked like watercolors, it'd be quite different. Your stuff looks kinda Gouache to my eyes.

Cheers
Old 27 Feb 2008, 09:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

good point. not meaning to preblame. i will edit that. upon reading it i realized how it sounded. what i meant is that its an unconventional way of painting and not intended to win a competition. The actual models are much brighter and the color swirls are more pronounced the closer you look than i could get with this camera. had to put them in a shadow because the sunlight was making them glare. well thanks for the feedback too. cheers.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2008, 16:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I actually really like this scheme. It's very different and has a nice "overall" look to it. I'm sure a whole army done like this would be fairly striking on the tabletop. Nice work and an A+ for doing something different.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2008, 20:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Agreed; I think it's wonderfully original and unique, and suits the Eldar well. Stick to your guns, man; don't let people giver you crap because it's unconventional. Conventional people rarely make history.
SmellTheAshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2008, 21:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Nice work, I love seeing people doing different things, and doing them well. Nice one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO chat
Gandpa Ducky: Exactly. I can eat when I'm dead
CmdrBonesaw: Yes. Brains ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO chat
jais: Wrap me up and bath me in oil its Rafe!
Iron_dragons is offline   Reply With Quote