Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Adol Christian
Closed Thread
Old 03 Apr 2005, 00:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Adol Christian

Over in this topic, BloodiedFangs was giving me some really excellent feedback on a WIP mini I was painting for my friend's tabletop RPG. It's of an NPC named Adol Christian, and I've finally finished the piece, which I'm bringing over to his house tomorrow (that was my deadline, the next game is tomorrow--so I had five days to do it in the hours before and after work).

Apologies for the pix, as they are slightly washed out from the camera's flash.

http://ayashi.net/foo/adol-front.jpg
http://ayashi.net/foo/adol-back.jpg
http://ayashi.net/foo/adol-side.jpg

This is a very old mini, from a box in which he has a bunch of random bitz and unpainted minis. There were a huge pair of gaps on the figure's back where I think there were supposed to be wings--it would explain the base, which looked like either water or air to me. I sculpted a few rocks for him to stand on, built a scabbard and backpack out of putty and a sawed- and filed-down length of sprue, and covered up the gaps with that. My friend wanted runes on the sword and/or shield, so I carefully etched some into the blade of the sword with the tip of my knife, intending them to catch the ink wash I'd apply to the blade.

I'm not completely happy with it. Specifically, I know my line work is still sloppy, and with the way my hands shake I have a real problem getting thin or tiny details to come out right. I need a brush with a finer point, not to mention a bit more patience. The putty work on the back was a bit mushy, and due to a trick of the light I didn't realize it until I'd started painting. The runes I etched in ended up looking really crappy, so I painted over them to make them look like they were glowing, which I'm still not happy with--but it's better than scratches with an ink wash in them.

If I'd had more time, I probably would have cut him off from his base and built a new one, taken a lot more time with the details on the breastplate (I was starting to get to crunch time), and would've picked up a few things--such as a white paint pen to draw the runes on, and a lighter color of blue paint so I wouldn't have to use up half my pot of Skull White steadily lightening the gradients.

But I learned a lot. Further critique and suggestions are welcome.
Old 03 Apr 2005, 08:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Adol Christian

looking good. i'm not gonna add any critique, cos at the moment, about the only thing i could possibly suggest is "get your neatness up a little", and that's something that only comes with practice, so its not my suggestion...instead, if your hand is wobbly when you paint, try bracing it against your painting desk . believe me, it really helps

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 03 Apr 2005, 16:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
if your hand is wobbly when you paint, try bracing it against your painting desk . believe me, it really helps
I do, thanks. I'm also cutting back on the caffeine, and I suspect I'll shake less when I develop more confidence, too. I only hope I don't have to pour on the caffeine again when I rotate back to graveyard shift in three months.

Thanks for all your help! It was your suggestions that helped me learn that gradient technique.
Old 04 Apr 2005, 07:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

well, here's a tip for the caffeine: drink bare f=minimum 5 cups a day for a few months...i guarantee, pretty soon, you won't get so much as a sliver of caffeine shakes :P (not that i know this from real-life experience or anything...)

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Old 04 Apr 2005, 12:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Very nice Catsy!

I see nice gemstone effects and good color and highlighting overall. I think it really comes down to what has already been mentioned, with getting comfortable with watering down the paint and applying it a bit thinner as well as just tightening things up with practice.

Shaping up very well! Great job mate!

I have caffine for blood, I'm afraid, so my hands too suffer from the black shakes but don't let it stop you. I've found the cure for caffinated induced shaking is more caffine.
[size=7pt]Do -not- listen to me on that one![/size]

Cheers!

-Mal