Warhammer 40K Forum

Cha'Elan Pathfinders - New Scheme
Closed Thread
Old 26 Mar 2005, 00:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Cha'Elan Pathfinders - New Scheme

Hey guys

After finishing my Ethereal (Aun'Cha), I set to work on my Pathfinder team, which I had hoped to finish in time for the recent squad based painting contest, but didn't get them finished in time. Well, I hope I've finished with them at this point, and would love to hear what you all think. I wanted a fresh new scheme, darker than my previous (i'll post the same squad before the re-painting), and with more attitude. I first set out to go blue with them, and I wanted to get some white because it's so hard to smooth out, but looks great when finished well. I ended up with something very anime-police looking (great City Fight scheme for me) and I was pleased with it. So please let me know what you think and excuse the yellow cast from the pictures until I get new some bulbs!

Cha'Elan Pathfinders

And they previously looked like this:

They were a quick job, but good enough for putting on the board. I've chopped the railrifle and converted them to pulse carbine as well and finally got rid of that dreadful shiney gloss finish that I used to seal the paint. Unfortunately my Devilfish is one of the last on the list to paint at the moment, so it cannot accompany the new squad. So, so long old Pathfinders and hello to my new ones.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

--Mal
Old 26 Mar 2005, 00:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer
Default Re: Cha'Elan Pathfinders - New Scheme

good stuff Mal, very appropriate, the highlights are a bit stark for me, but good job.

nice and dark too, my Pf are ending up looking like lanternposts ^-^
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 26 Mar 2005, 03:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Thanks Diz

I'm a bit of a fan of the drastic highlighting, simply because it allows me to get good results at eye level (2 feet away roughly) on the battlefield, and be able to pump out my minis quickly. I have my whole army to go through and I'm trying to punch it out fast as possible. I love my Tau, but my Witch Hunters are recieving a tad more details I'm afraid as I'm re-painting both at the same time, alternating between squads

Good fun and pratice though!

What kind of scheme are you going for on yours? Bright?

Edit: Oh geeze, pictures tell no lies. I totaly forgot to do the barrels and markerlight ports! Guess I have quick project for tommorrow morning!
Old 26 Mar 2005, 12:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Silly Mal...

umm..a testor's "Red Gloss" make a good red sight dot thing, it glows and looks good on all tau.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 15:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I mix & match Vallejo colors, but I use GW metalics (though I don't use metalics at all in my Tau army). No testors will touch my brushes unfortunately
Old 26 Mar 2005, 17:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Great job Mal, much improved... I really love that new scheme. ;D

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Old 26 Mar 2005, 21:44   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Really cool! ;D How did you paint the white so good? I suck at painting white and thats why i got a darker sheme.
Your new color scheme is much cooler i think.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 23:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

lol, yeah, Stormtrooper Tau with a bit more red for me.

I'm more of a subtle guy, most of my minis are there to look impressive on my shelf when people come in they go "wow, thats lots of toys" and I get to say "yes, I painted every one", they seem to think its fantastic .

and yeah, I'm repainting 3 or so armies ATM and converting most of the models aswell, which explains my dismally slow progress ^-^.

I'll have some PF for you in a week or so, I have to start on my comp entry aswell and I only have 3 done so far :-\, so much painting :.

personally I thought white was hard aswell, but a light coat or two of white and then a 4:1 paint to water wash does it fine.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 27 Mar 2005, 00:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yea, whites and yellows are really hard to get a good smooth appearance. Especially if you use a dark basecoat (in my case, I always basecoat with black). For the helmets, they took a lot longer than the rest of the minis. Here's how I did my white:

Basecoat black (whole mini)
Grey coat (whole helmet)
Lighter Grey coat (whole helmet again)
Yellow coat (whole helmet)
Lighter Yellow coat (whole helmet again)
White coat (whole helmet)
White coat again (whole helmet)

It's a long process, but when you do several models at the same time, it goes fast as they dry by the time you're on the last one, etc.

When painting a lot of white, it's better to base the mini with a lighter color (such as a light grey, or even white), but that will make it harder to paint darker colors and have them look smooth without taking a long process too (but that's the trade off if most of your mini is a light color).
Old 27 Mar 2005, 00:26   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

I hadn't considered a police-style color scheme before. It looks really sharp.
Closed Thread