Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Ethereal - Aun'Cha
Closed Thread
Old 20 Mar 2005, 17:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Tau Ethereal - Aun'Cha

Greetings and Salute to my brethren Tau!

I recently started stripping and repainting my Tau. I had my army for years, and I painted them quickly with a cream and brown scheme for a light army. Now, I've decided to go back and do them proper now that I have time on my hands and the gumption to sit down and do it. I decided to begin for the second time, with my Ethereal. What better way to start the army other than to start with the highest ranking individual in the list? I have two ethereals, but I didn't want either of them. I have the normal Ethereal with his full dress who looks very pompous and not very battle-field ready. I also have the wonderful Aun'shi model, but he's not very Tau-like enough for me to use his model either, due to the silly Honor Blade. So I took the inspiration of the normal Ethereal, to be just a stern pompous leader, but took the battle field look that Aun'shi carries on his model and combined the two. I even took advantage of Aun'shi's fighting hand, to instead be "pointing" towards the objective that he has in mind. So with that in mind, I present to you my fresh new scheme and first member of my newly repainting Tau army:

Aun'Cha - Ethereal of the Cha'Elan Cadre

Comments appreciated, though not much will change on him as I'm busy making the rest of the army match him! And more to come soon!

For the Greater Good!

--Mal
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42
Default Re: Tau Ethereal - Aun'Cha

simple but very effective conversion that will make your ethereal a real centrepiece.

The colours are strong and striking, and some absolutly awsome texturing on the skin and body!

first class job MalVeaux
Old 20 Mar 2005, 20:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

42:

Thanks! He's going to be quite battle ready as he appears in virtually all of my lists

Just noticed how dark the images are... my appartment is a little dim in this winter time, even next to the window. You can barely see what's going on with the small red light source which just looks like a shadow in those images. I took another one to try and show that it's actually quite lighter than this, with some natural light.

Old 20 Mar 2005, 20:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

very nice, great paintjob, but Aun'shi is in a battle pose with his head tilted back, it just doesnt seem right, hes pointing with his head back :P.

kudo's on the lighting brother, very nice.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 20 Mar 2005, 20:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

He does have a bit of that "hold your chin" up going on. I guess that's part of being pompous and proud... you know, while he points out the lots of terra he's going to put his new cottage on while the commander and army lay waste to the inhabitants who didn't want to just "leave" or join the Greater Good ;D
Old 20 Mar 2005, 21:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

lol, very nice, how solid is his neck? I'm thinking I'll need to convert my etheral as getting hold of the SE one will be a nightmare so I'll probably want to bend his head, is it possible or will I need to hack and putty?
go here
Old 20 Mar 2005, 21:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Dizzy:

I bent mine, so the neck is absolutely solid, but I would probably recommend getting some good clippers to chop up and putty on there for the best result. It's too easy to warp their heads with this soft metal when we bend them. I didn't have to bend very far though, as just a tiny variation gives the "chin" effect. It's really hard to bend it with the hair attached to the army, so that needed to be cut first, and then re-puttied of course.

Those special edition Tau are nice, but totally too pretty for my tastes. Just like the stock ones. I like Ethereals and all, but too pretty on the clothing gives me the Eldar feel and not the gritty Firewarrior feel that I wanted.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 21:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

ok, thats good, I just like th robes Etherals need robes ^-^, maybe I should just cut the head off a warlock :P.

in all seriousness though, you got WIP pics of that? or maybe a picture of the stock model will hlp to see whtas been done.
go here
Old 20 Mar 2005, 22:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Sadly I don't have any other photos. It was done on a whim. I figured I would start repainting the army with a fresh start and to make it easier, just by slightly converting an Ethereal to make him a little more unique out there. I feel he came out the way I had envisioned him, so I regret not taking a few extra photos during the process.

This one didn't require much at all though, so I can easily just explain what I did:

1) carefully clipped the metal where the hair attached to the robe on the left shoulder.
2) very carefully, using cloth padded pliers, bend the head back just slightly (very slightly).
3) a little putty and glue to re-attach the hair (which I bent just slightly to fit back into it's original place)

The extra bit for me was simply clipping off his 2nd extended finger and using putty to make a new finger as part of his fist and bending his other finger to a more claw-like pointing gesture.

The arm is obvious so no need there.

For a while, I was worried with WYSIWYG because they have two scepters for close combat weapons and all, but I figured it didn't matter.... Ethereal's in combat are dead, so what's an extra attack going to accomplish

A warlock dress might be fine actually. Which warlock model did you have in mind? You'd probably have to really clip some legs and hands for him though
Old 21 Mar 2005, 01:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

overall, pretty good...but i'm just gonna add a quick criticism: the clothing...its edge highlights are too harsh. your skin looks lovely. you've done a good job highlighting that, so next time you do cloth, apply the same principles to the cloth: soft edged highlights . it'll come out much nicer

"Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny." Oz (Buffy, episode 2, season 3)

"I don't like coke, i just like the way it smells" Unknown

"and in the words of our lord and saviour, jesus christ, **** you if you can't take a joke" The Glass House
Closed Thread