Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Three boyz and a Boss
Old 27 Sep 2007, 18:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Three boyz and a Boss

By frozenfoxx, shot with hp 635 Digital Camera at 2007-09-27

This is Warboss 'Commanda Gaxis' and three of his chosen slugga boyz (more like the three I've just finished) of the Krazy Kitty Clan. Powerklaw was scratch-built by FOXX.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 18:46   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Three boyz and a Boss

Pretty good, I like the dry brushed metal effect. I think those orcs a little too colorful for me though.
Helbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2007, 18:50   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helbrecht
Pretty good, I like the dry brushed metal effect. I think those orcs a little too colorful for me though.
I've never seen another ork army so I didn't know how colorful to make them or not. Foxx said that orks were colorful, so I did my own 'artistic interpetation'. I was going to scrap all the additional colors, but after seeing my warboss with them, I realized they looked good together. Overall, I think I'm pleased.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 19:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Your metal looks great, the skin is nicely done too, darker then most but that's not a bad thing. I think the white really just needs to be toned down. These are Orks we're talking about, there's no way they'd have clothes that white after the first 5 minutes of wearing it. For a quick "fix", I'd wash over all the white with a relatively diluted black ink. That will dirty it up some and give you some depth to the white. Something to consider going forward though is to layer your white, build it up so only the highest points are white where the rest are lighter shades of gray.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 23:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I agree with Thor. They look great, just a wash on all their clothing to add depth and dirty them up. Orks do have some gaudy colors sometimes, but dirty too.
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2007, 06:01   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor{DoH}
Your metal looks great, the skin is nicely done too, darker then most but that's not a bad thing. I think the white really just needs to be toned down. These are Orks we're talking about, there's no way they'd have clothes that white after the first 5 minutes of wearing it. For a quick "fix", I'd wash over all the white with a relatively diluted black ink. That will dirty it up some and give you some depth to the white. Something to consider going forward though is to layer your white, build it up so only the highest points are white where the rest are lighter shades of gray.
I thought something was missing, but I couldn't tell what it was. Thank you for the tip. Can I do the wash over something I've sealed? Otherwise I'll wind up with four clean boyz and a horde of dirty onez.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 17:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm not sure if a wash will stay on over a sealed mini. You can certainly try it, it won't hurt anything if it doesn't stick. In the future I would wait until you are completely sure the model is finished before sealing it.
[hr]

I think the models look pretty good. It may just be personal preference but I think a lighter skin tone would work better for your orks. I just think the colorful clothing clashes a little with the dark skin.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2007, 18:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrowningNixis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helbrecht
I've never seen another ork army so I didn't know how colorful to make them or not. Foxx said that orks were colorful, so I did my own 'artistic interpetation'. I was going to scrap all the additional colors, but after seeing my warboss with them, I realized they looked good together. Overall, I think I'm pleased.
Even so, they don't got that very much color to paint on. They use mushrooms and squigs to create color-extracts and only use this as decoration thus they don't generally have that much colored CLOTH. And really rainbow-minis really looks crap, IŽd suggest neautralizing the models more. Remember less is much, and minimizing the color thats supposed to stand out really helps. Im not using the blue on my orks that very much yet thats probably what most people see as the most used color beige and green just falls back as a background color. So use a more dirtier white over the whole models cloth and if you want (IŽd suggest that) use a secondary color to seperate the details of the cloths and then use the colors as decoration. It looks ALOT better.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 21:06   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I know the colors are bright, the idea is that these are Blood Axes who heard from da stinkin' 'oomans that 'camouflage' makes them harder to hit. Of course being Orks they known lucky colors (yellow, red, blue, and orange).

The camera makes their skin darker than it really is, besides, the older the ork the darker the skin. The reason why they happen to have snow camo as a base is because they recently looted a Imperial ice world. Long story....and my internet is set to disconnect soon.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 21:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like the idea of the snow camoflage, well done.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote