Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Questions (I'm not sure where to put this)
Old 24 Sep 2007, 00:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to titankiller
Default Questions (I'm not sure where to put this)

I&#39;m going to start painting models for the sole purpose of selling them either this week or next, but first I&#39;ve got some questions.

1. How much is considered a reasonable price for a well-painted model/group of models? I have been told that its up to twice the retail value. Example: a well-painted battleforce would go for $180 USD.

2. What are the more popular standard factions of the different races? (Craftworlds, Chapters, Regiments, Legions, etc.)

Do these make sense? If I should post these questions somewhere else, just tell me.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 05:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Questions (I'm not sure where to put this)

You should set a standard price for your work. What that is depends on your skill level. I would advertise on CMON with ebay auctions to sell the minis and build a reputation that way. As for what models sell, its a safe bet to paint up models that are new releases. So right now Chaos and soon Orks would be good models to make money off of. Do you mind posting a few of your models, I might be able to give you an idea of what you could realistically charge for your work.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Sep 2007, 18:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Here are some of my figures.

Space Marines:

Tyranids:

Tau:

What would you say these figures are worth? Also, thanks for the suggestions about CMON, I&#39;d forgotten about them.
Old 26 Sep 2007, 22:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

I like those marines the most. The rest just seem to be lacking detail...
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2007, 23:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I&#39;m going to be perfectly honest, mostly because I&#39;m a jerk though.

The marines are at what I would consider at cost, you could sell them for what you paid for them. The only way you would make gains would be if you had a whole army done, people are lazy and want to instantly play. And your best gains would be on a army trade with somebody else. BTW, base them.

Your nids are a joke, they look like my friend&#39;s little brother painted them. It is poorly done, and the colours just suck. You would be lucky to find a buyer. You seemed to have based these ones, but you didn&#39;t try.

Now I&#39;m to saddened to even look at your tau.

Avor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2007, 04:52   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avor

The marines are at what I would consider at cost, you could sell them for what you paid for them. The only way you would make gains would be if you had a whole army done, people are lazy and want to instantly play. And your best gains would be on a army trade with somebody else. BTW, base them.

Your nids are a joke, they look like my friend&#39;s little brother painted them. It is poorly done, and the colours just suck. You would be lucky to find a buyer. You seemed to have based these ones, but you didn&#39;t try.

Yes, you are being a jerk. Criticize contructively, or don&#39;t bother posting.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2007, 05:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

The marines are WIP, the nids were done just as I figured out highlighting and other methods of detailing (even then, it was reserved for the really big ones, too many smaller gribblies), while the Tau suits were a one-off thing (was given a battleforce, the suits were the only ones I really tried painting; the fire warriors got primed, and the kroot just got assembled...).
Old 27 Sep 2007, 06:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

In regards to the pics, this would be more a &#39;showcase&#39;-thread, in my opinion.
The marines look great, really, and those stealthsuits look good, though their pics aren&#39;t that clear...
The nids, apart from the actual colours themselves, they look good. It&#39;s the colours that are a problem to me, but not how they&#39;re painted.
Is that somewhat understandable?

As for pricing, I can&#39;t really say. Best to think of it is &#39;what would I pay for such a model?&#39; and go from there.

&#39;Bernard, do you think I should wash my beard?&#39;
- &#39;Yes Manny, I think you should wash your beard, and shave it off, staple it to a frisbee, and fling it over a rainbow.&#39;

Me : Pulp Fiction? Please, this amount of blood, can best be compared with &#39;showdown at the house of blue leaves&#39; in Kill Bill 1.
T-002 : Sweet Charles Dickens, that much? It was a man, you know, not a 15-gallon barrel of blood...
Ineluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2007, 18:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to gerrylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
As for pricing, I can&#39;t really say. Best to think of it is &#39;what would I pay for such a model?&#39; and go from there.
Hmmm, well, as an artist myself I&#39;d have to disagree since I don&#39;t think I could objectively answer that question about a model I painted myself. I think I would typically pay more for something I painted then someone else would.

That being said - the BEST way to value your work is to put it on eBay with a low starting bid and let the MARKET determine how much they&#39;re worth. If your paint really ROCKS, believe me, people will pay for it!

If your skills are lacking, however, you&#39;ll see this result in a low final bid.

As for your painting itself, I&#39;d have to say your marine is the best of the bunch. It doesn&#39;t look like you spent as much time on the other ones, which you seem to note yourself. Take my advice, don&#39;t show anything except your BEST work. That&#39;s how you build up a reputation as a great painter! If you show work that is in progress, make sure to let people know it is WIP! You don&#39;t want people to think that your unfinished models are a representation of your total skills.

Also, don&#39;t discount the importance of basing your models! The absolute minimum you should be doing with your bases is gluing some sand on there, and doing a two-tone paint job on it (darker base with a lighter drybrush color over it). Add a few patches of static grass on there as well and you should have a very decent looking base, and that should make the whole model look better overall.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 20:23   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avor

Yes, you are being a jerk. Criticize contructively, or don&#39;t bother posting.
I&#39;ll say somethng constructive when people stop posting models they don&#39;t even try on.

Those marines are badass, they are welldone, shaded, have those neet marks on the sholderpads. The care to detail is seen, like the how the glass eyes are done. Who ever painted them cared, all that is missing is anywork on the base. It&#39;s just a sad fact, those marines, good as they are, are not worth much more than what they were paid for, it&#39;s just how things work.

Now I look at those nids, and it hurts. I can&#39;t believe those are painted by the person. Green does not go with Yellow/red/orange, the metal claws NEVER look good, the way the yellow and the red/orange are done doesnt look good it all, make it look like they came from the circus. Not only is the colour sceme a joke, it&#39;s poorly done, no brush skill, and no attempt at highlighting or adding depth. I&#39;m dumpfounded how somebody can make such decent marines make such a pathetic joke of a job at nids.

Congratulations, you managed to get a record -16 Karma. Too bad the only prize you get is no longer being able to use the site. Good riddance. - Cadaver

Avor is offline   Reply With Quote