Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Revamped(camoed) Whirlwind
Old 08 Sep 2007, 19:42   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Revamped(camoed) Whirlwind

Ok.. so after the bad artic camo job the first time I painted my Whirlwind.. I got help/advice from HM and redid the camo.. so here is the improved Whirlwind!

Mackenewbli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2007, 23:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: Revamped(camoed) Whirlwind

I dont know why... but it looks really bad and really good at the same time.

???

Old 09 Sep 2007, 01:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reunion_Round
I dont know why... but it looks really bad and really good at the same time.

???
The funny thing is... I agree with that statement... and it looks a lot better in person than in picture...
Old 09 Sep 2007, 07:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Eh...I'm not a fan.
1. The Ice blue really looks out of place, what effect were you trying to get there?
2. Your base colors are too light, start with a darker Grey and you'll get a better contrast when you put on that cammo white pattern. Plus you can use that light grey to put on even more cammo designs (it's what I'm currently doing).
3. The hatch and missile launcher looks completely out of place, why are they colored so differently? A suggestion, a watered down wash of black ink might help with your metallics, it give a much better sense of depth, and a little bit of a weathered look.
Old 09 Sep 2007, 11:23   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to OmikronAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
Eh...I'm not a fan.
1. The Ice blue really looks out of place, what effect were you trying to get there?
2. Your base colors are too light, start with a darker Grey and you'll get a better contrast when you put on that cammo white pattern. Plus you can use that light grey to put on even more cammo designs (it's what I'm currently doing).
3. The hatch and missile launcher looks completely out of place, why are they colored so differently? A suggestion, a watered down wash of black ink might help with your metallics, it give a much better sense of depth, and a little bit of a weathered look.
I agree totally with the first two points here - the blue just makes no sense in the scheme, to be honest. Have a look at some REAL tanks with Artic Camo schemes (Probably very hard to find pictures), and base them of that.

The actual technique you're using seems good though, I think it's just a matter of getting colors right.
Old 09 Sep 2007, 12:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Eh...I'm not a fan.
just answering the third question: the color for those are different because that's my army's color.
other than that.. thanks for the advice but I'm done messing with that tank.. it's staying the way it is now.. got other stuff to do. :P
Old 09 Sep 2007, 18:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Spice
Quote:
Eh...I'm not a fan.
just answering the third question: the color for those are different because that's my army's color.
other than that.. thanks for the advice but I'm done messing with that tank.. it's staying the way it is now.. got other stuff to do. :P
I`d suggest you use the color of your army in markings along the hull or on the hatches. Painting only the weapons in the color of your army looks strange, and ruins the camo effect. Instead, try to apply the dark blue on some discrete places along the hull, i.e. blue stripes, etc.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2007, 22:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

I find if you use the army color with black/white/grey as the other color for camouflage it ties it in with the army, makes it look camo and still keeps it looking good.

See the tanks in my new IG army are going to be white/black camo as white and black are the colors of my army. White fatigues, black armor.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 19:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

now there is a busy model. Sorry to say, but at first I didnt see what tank it was (could be good ). but the camo is really over the top on this one.

Try to make it more distinguished, with bigger chunks of each color, pretty much like this model:
http://rchobbysyd.nu/catalog/images/...intera6-01.jpg
Old 12 Sep 2007, 11:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to LoTide Send a message via MSN to LoTide

Really guys, it looks alot better in RL. We just took terrible pics of it unfortunately. Yes, the camo is over the top, which was my idea...sorry. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero - 55 BC
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
LoTide is offline   Reply With Quote