Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IG Junior Officer [update]
Old 19 Aug 2007, 16:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Kais
Default IG Junior Officer [update]

Well, i've finally done a bit of painting for..say..the first time in 3 months? It's not my best painting but considering how long ive been out of it and how I was no pro to start with, I'm fairly pleased with him. C&C Appreciated.

-Kais

>>Latest Sig<<
Kais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2007, 17:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Buckton98
Default Re: IG Junior Officer

Not much of a fan of those highlights, they look a bit thick IMO, everything else on it is just fine, though I like the rough look, e.g. lots of dirt on their armour and clothes.
Buckton98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2007, 18:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Kais,

It's definitely tabletop quality, but I think you could certainly get a little more out of it, even if you aren't the best at painting. The skin looks good, you've got a clean base, and some nice highlights with it. The armour looks decent, though I believe your light purple highlights should be a little more gradual, and not stick out as much as they do, also not quite as thick. The white looks kinda chunky on the legs, and is sloppy; trailing into skin and armour areas, by the looks of it.

1) Erasing: Use your darker purple (Liche Purple, maybe?), and go over the light purple highlights so they aren't as thick and sloppy. Even them out a little bit, ya know? Then go over any armour that you might have covered with white, or other colours. Same with metal areas, and possibly skin.

2) Thinning: Obviously, you'll need to thin some of your paints down. Simply water them down, and, if you aren't doing this already, use thinner layers.

Glad you've started painting again!
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
ToastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2007, 20:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, here's a litte update, thansk for the advice. I will do more tomorrow but I have made a few (hopefully noticable) changes:

[I included my first attempt for comparisson]

The photo's are shown in different lighting because it's night now and I had to arrange some sort of light array to get a good quality picture.

>>Latest Sig<<
Old 19 Aug 2007, 20:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
Kais,

It's definitely tabletop quality, but I think you could certainly get a little more out of it, even if you aren't the best at painting. The skin looks good, you've got a clean base, and some nice highlights with it. The armour looks decent, though I believe your light purple highlights should be a little more gradual, and not stick out as much as they do, also not quite as thick. The white looks kinda chunky on the legs, and is sloppy; trailing into skin and armour areas, by the looks of it.

1) Erasing: Use your darker purple (Liche Purple, maybe?), and go over the light purple highlights so they aren't as thick and sloppy. Even them out a little bit, ya know? Then go over any armour that you might have covered with white, or other colours. Same with metal areas, and possibly skin.
I disagree, I think the highlights are fine as they are. Up close, extreme highlighting looks over the top, but on the tabletop it looks great.

He ain't fabulous, but he sure as hell ain't bad either. The basing, however, is top notch. Most people don't even bother, so kudos to you, although you could do with cleaning up the edge with a lick of black paint. I also like the muddy fatigues. Nice job. What do your tanks look like?
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2007, 21:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: IG Junior Officer [update]

Lighting makes a big difference that model looks fantastic. I agree that the highlights were a little thick but you fixed it. Good work!
Old 20 Aug 2007, 00:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Anberlin

Does he take the squad I've already seen?

I really do like it, i thought the first attempt was nice, but the second attempt was nice.
Old 20 Aug 2007, 10:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

+++It`s good, a very different colour scheme. The second attempt is even better.+++

Sig by Drobot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
Is a nice guy, though he shouldn't 'have to sig' something someone else says, just to please them.
[quote=Hadhfang]
Is just awesome, and probably emits an aura of Awesomage!
[
Hate Enriches
Sven-Kaiser of Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2007, 10:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Cheers for the comments guys, one full squad of Guardsmen will go up tthis afternoon when they're finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
What do your tanks look like?
Sadly they don't exist in this paint scheme, or with this reasonable level of painting either. One is a "I'll do it later" WIP though. These guardsmen are going to be used as allies for the Witchhunters army I'm starting soon. I've basically had enough of Imperial Guard for now but I don't see any point in wasting the models that havn't been destroyed by poor painting when I was just starting.

-Kais

>>Latest Sig<<