Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

IG Junior Officer [update]
Reply
Old 19 Aug 2007, 16:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: .:{Bleeding Fire From The Sky}:.
Posts: 2,508
Send a message via MSN to Kais
Default IG Junior Officer [update]

Well, i've finally done a bit of painting for..say..the first time in 3 months? It's not my best painting but considering how long ive been out of it and how I was no pro to start with, I'm fairly pleased with him. C&C Appreciated.



-Kais
__________________
"Time to decide. Do you kill for the Tau'va, that impossible dream that the tau hope for? or do you kill because you can, because you're good at it?" Thoughts by La'Kais

>>Latest Sig<<
Kais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2007, 17:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: England
Posts: 246
Send a message via MSN to Buckton98
Default Re: IG Junior Officer

Not much of a fan of those highlights, they look a bit thick IMO, everything else on it is just fine, though I like the rough look, e.g. lots of dirt on their armour and clothes.
__________________
I'm not a Doctor. I'm a Medic.
What's the difference?
Doctors heal people. Medics comfort those people, as they die.
Buckton98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2007, 18:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,794
Default Re: IG Junior Officer

Kais,

It's definitely tabletop quality, but I think you could certainly get a little more out of it, even if you aren't the best at painting. The skin looks good, you've got a clean base, and some nice highlights with it. The armour looks decent, though I believe your light purple highlights should be a little more gradual, and not stick out as much as they do, also not quite as thick. The white looks kinda chunky on the legs, and is sloppy; trailing into skin and armour areas, by the looks of it.

1) Erasing: Use your darker purple (Liche Purple, maybe?), and go over the light purple highlights so they aren't as thick and sloppy. Even them out a little bit, ya know? Then go over any armour that you might have covered with white, or other colours. Same with metal areas, and possibly skin.

2) Thinning: Obviously, you'll need to thin some of your paints down. Simply water them down, and, if you aren't doing this already, use thinner layers.

Glad you've started painting again!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Falstead: I don't think you can ever justify a T5 goat in a regular 40k game
Lord_Veqq has joined TauOnline.
Guest6363: SEMENATION COMPLETE
Lord_Veqq has left TauOnline.
ToastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2007, 20:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: .:{Bleeding Fire From The Sky}:.
Posts: 2,508
Send a message via MSN to Kais
Default Re: IG Junior Officer

Well, here's a litte update, thansk for the advice. I will do more tomorrow but I have made a few (hopefully noticable) changes:


[I included my first attempt for comparisson]

The photo's are shown in different lighting because it's night now and I had to arrange some sort of light array to get a good quality picture.
__________________
"Time to decide. Do you kill for the Tau'va, that impossible dream that the tau hope for? or do you kill because you can, because you're good at it?" Thoughts by La'Kais

>>Latest Sig<<
Kais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2007, 20:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hertford, UK
Posts: 5,086
Default Re: IG Junior Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastMaster
Kais,

It's definitely tabletop quality, but I think you could certainly get a little more out of it, even if you aren't the best at painting. The skin looks good, you've got a clean base, and some nice highlights with it. The armour looks decent, though I believe your light purple highlights should be a little more gradual, and not stick out as much as they do, also not quite as thick. The white looks kinda chunky on the legs, and is sloppy; trailing into skin and armour areas, by the looks of it.

1) Erasing: Use your darker purple (Liche Purple, maybe?), and go over the light purple highlights so they aren't as thick and sloppy. Even them out a little bit, ya know? Then go over any armour that you might have covered with white, or other colours. Same with metal areas, and possibly skin.
I disagree, I think the highlights are fine as they are. Up close, extreme highlighting looks over the top, but on the tabletop it looks great.

He ain't fabulous, but he sure as hell ain't bad either. The basing, however, is top notch. Most people don't even bother, so kudos to you, although you could do with cleaning up the edge with a lick of black paint. I also like the muddy fatigues. Nice job. What do your tanks look like?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Sanders
When all was finished, the battlefield was a smoking crater. UDC, Valoran, US Army, Tau, the Nazis, a random pirate ship, and a bunch of ninjas, all were enemies to the Vulture. All were turned into scrap metal. Or plastic. Depends which game system you play.
Tom Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2007, 21:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Novi, Michigan
Posts: 1,013
Default Re: IG Junior Officer [update]

Lighting makes a big difference that model looks fantastic. I agree that the highlights were a little thick but you fixed it. Good work!
__________________
xsreviews.co.uk
Deviant art
Delightfully Emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2007, 00:34   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: England
Posts: 824
Send a message via MSN to Anberlin
Default Re: IG Junior Officer [update]

Does he take the squad I've already seen?

I really do like it, i thought the first attempt was nice, but the second attempt was nice.
__________________
Anberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Aug 2007, 10:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Worcester, England
Posts: 914
Default Re: IG Junior Officer [update]

+++It`s good, a very different colour scheme. The second attempt is even better.+++
__________________
Join UCTO! PM me or Scoutninja if you have a cat on your avatar!


Sig by Drobot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
Is a nice guy, though he shouldn't 'have to sig' something someone else says, just to please them.
[quote=Hadhfang]
Is just awesome, and probably emits an aura of Awesomage!
[
Hate Enriches
Sven-Kaiser of Krieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2007, 10:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: .:{Bleeding Fire From The Sky}:.
Posts: 2,508
Send a message via MSN to Kais
Default Re: IG Junior Officer [update]

Cheers for the comments guys, one full squad of Guardsmen will go up tthis afternoon when they're finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
What do your tanks look like?
Sadly they don't exist in this paint scheme, or with this reasonable level of painting either. One is a "I'll do it later" WIP though. These guardsmen are going to be used as allies for the Witchhunters army I'm starting soon. I've basically had enough of Imperial Guard for now but I don't see any point in wasting the models that havn't been destroyed by poor painting when I was just starting.

-Kais
__________________
"Time to decide. Do you kill for the Tau'va, that impossible dream that the tau hope for? or do you kill because you can, because you're good at it?" Thoughts by La'Kais

>>Latest Sig<<
Kais is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Junior Officer Pollo Showcase 8 30 Mar 2007 10:43
The Nick Junior Consipracy! ToastMaster Enclave Talk 9 28 Jun 2006 18:19
Junior Officer Circero Bellus The Mothman Imperial Guard 2 23 Jun 2006 17:47
My Junior Officer Aftercresent Showcase 13 03 May 2006 13:58
IG officer Kais Showcase 13 31 Jul 2005 14:00