Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot and dried blood.
Old 27 Jul 2007, 04:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus
Default Kroot and dried blood.

So I posted in painting a little while ago asking for some advice on painting dried blood. I think I pulled it off. I'm not certain since its my own work. I want it to have the rusty blade with the blood look. The dagger on the back of the kroot does NOT have dried blood, its just rusty. I included the picture of it for comparison purposes. The pictures aren't perfect. Its midnight here so I haven't got any daylight to work with and my worklight is a bit harsh for pictures.

Old 27 Jul 2007, 04:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Kroot and dried blood.

I always like the idea that blood becomes extremely dark when dry. My blood is whenever is finds a way to get out (read: overzealous cat).

Me? I'd try for a real "wet" look to the blood, maybe some resin with a few drops of red. I don't like the Kroot models though. I sub Firewarriors in their place so I don't have a real working knowledge of blood for cc things.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 06:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

To me, the blood looks a little bit too bright, not quite coagulated.
It appears more 'recent'. Which of the methods (from the 'dried blood, how' thread) did you use in the end?
On another note it looks very good as it is. I was merely pointing out that the blood looks 'fresh'...

Good work!

'Bernard, do you think I should wash my beard?'
- 'Yes Manny, I think you should wash your beard, and shave it off, staple it to a frisbee, and fling it over a rainbow.'

Me : Pulp Fiction? Please, this amount of blood, can best be compared with 'showdown at the house of blue leaves' in Kill Bill 1.
T-002 : Sweet Charles Dickens, that much? It was a man, you know, not a 15-gallon barrel of blood...
Ineluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 14:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes, if you really want the dried blood look, it can't be red, since blood dries brown, or even black. In fact, i think your rusty dagger is closer to the effect you want. A little known fact about blood is that it corrodes iron and steel. Essentially, blood is rust. It is red due to an iron molecule binding oxygen to carry to your cells. Rust is called oxidization because it is oxygen binding to the metal that causes rust. So fresh blood is rusty iron, and when it gets on a blade, it triggers rust in the iron blade as well. This is why letting blood dry on a blade is a bad idea if you care about your weapons. This is also why dried blood should look a lot like rust, for the purposes of your painting.

Personally, though, I think it looks a little more dramatic to have the fresh, red blood, in which case, id hit the red with a chestnut ink wash to give it depth and sheen. Nice work. keep at it, and show us what you get.

Rapid Fire

Gets 'em every time

Bustafer Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2007, 23:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via ICQ to Dagonus Send a message via AIM to Dagonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustafer Jones
A little known fact about blood is that it corrodes iron and steel. Essentially, blood is rust. It is red due to an iron molecule binding oxygen to carry to your cells. Rust is called oxidization because it is oxygen binding to the metal that causes rust. So fresh blood is rusty iron, and when it gets on a blade, it triggers rust in the iron blade as well.
Technically, if I recall right its a magnetic attraction and not a true bonding from the iron atom being positively ionized in the hemoglobin, but chem's not my field. However, for our purposes you're right enough.

However, while I know it should be theoretically solid brown, that wouldn't be very distinguishable at all from the rusted blade that DOESN'T have blood whether its a seperate blade or just a different part of the same blade. Accordingly I've had to spare some reality to give the "feel" of the effect without the loss in "this part has dried blood and this part doesn't". But I know what you're saying.

Since you guys seem to think I'm a bit too red, I'm going to add a little dark flesh with some scab red to it to darken it a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
It appears more 'recent'. Which of the methods (from the 'dried blood, how' thread) did you use in the end?
A combination of what 99, you, Ravager, and 1shot suggested. I don't have any 'Ardcoat so I didn't try those. And I substituted darkflesh watered down a bit for chestnut ink since I haven't any of the later and don't feel like stopping by the store to pick one up. Figured I've got enough paints to sneak it out of the others if I figure out how to do it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineluki
On another note it looks very good as it is. I was merely pointing out that the blood looks 'fresh'...

Good work!
Thank you.

I'll try and hit some more brown on that and put up another shot or two to see if it improves any.

Edit: You guys talked about sheen and adding a little shine to it (Also mentioned in the painting thread) that would have been gotten from the chestnut, do you think if i touch it REAL light with a little bit of paint on varnish after a touch of Dark Flesh that might give it more of the blood look along with the darkening?