Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Doom Miniatures (non-WH40K images)
Old 23 Jul 2007, 04:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Doom Miniatures (non-WH40K images)

I didn't see anywhere for finished pictures that are non-WH40K related so I figured this would be as good a place as any.

I play Doom: the Boardgame, a game I highly recommend as there's little else than sitting down with a few friends and watching as someone charges into a horde of demons with a chainsaw.

Anyway, while hardly required I like to paint up the miniatures since it helps pull you into the game and, IMO, looks fantastic when done. A few notes about the images before we begin.

-These were all done very quickly. Base coat, drybrush, ink, finished. Right about one to three hours per mini
-The bases are red for a reason. In Doom you've got three color groups for demons and a marine, used for difficulty purposes (more marines = more demons). In this way I was able to paint whatever colors I wanted and still be able to identify which color set they belonged to...not to mention it works out beautifully in-game
-The Cyberdemon was done by my wife, DrowningNixis
-I may have sprayed a bit too much matte sealer on one or two again. From what I've seen after a little while the excess drops off (like my Firewarriors) but you just have to live with it. Oh well.
-My camera's an ancient HP 2.1MP with a macro mode. Forgive the quality.

By frozenfoxx at 2007-07-22

By frozenfoxx at 2007-07-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
FOXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 04:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Doom Miniatures (non-WH40K images)

Cool, I always wanted to do that with our store's copy of the board game, but the owner said no. Nice work, you gat he darker cours of the game very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 22:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I appreciate the input, after 70 views and no comments I was beginning to think people just hated them outright.

They're actually a little darker in person but my camera's well...my camera (can't argue with free though). That's a shame your store didn't allow you to paint them up, it really changes the way it feels (fun before, crazy after). I'll continue to post my work here but it's going to be a little while before I get the zombies, trites, viles, and hellhounds ready.

Quote:
D10s all the way. For honour! For glory! For non-repeating roll-probability percentages!
Old 23 Jul 2007, 22:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

That'll take a while, there's a lot in there. I'm not sure what a hellhound is, I'm assuming it's what I call a pinky demon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
Quote:
I believe so, I get mine at Walgreen's for around $7. Brake Fluid works too (Pine Sol Works on metals, not so well on plastics), but I prefer the spraycanniness of the Easy Off. Spray it (Wear gloves, it's important), let it sit, and take a toothbrush to it later.
so what your saying is that oven cleaner can remove paint from plastic models? and after that, you take a toothbrush to your plastic model, and the paint just comes off?
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2007, 23:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
That'll take a while, there's a lot in there. I'm not sure what a hellhound is, I'm assuming it's what I call a pinky demon.
Yeah, those guys. I'd call them pinkies but they're so completely unlike the original Doom 1 & 2 ones that were actually pink I figured a new, appropriate name was in order. Seems to work in our house but I know we aren't always the standard.

And yeah, you're telling me there's a lot. At the moment we're just focusing on having me finish the reds, the blues are next. After these are all done I should be ready to paint an Imperial Guard army. :P

Quote:
Old 24 Jul 2007, 04:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Those looks nice, though I'm not entirely convinced about the white skull, it's a bit too bright, I think. Not very familiar with the game, but the one to the right on the first pic, reminds me of Baron, from the movie.

'Bernard, do you think I should wash my beard?'
- 'Yes Manny, I think you should wash your beard, and shave it off, staple it to a frisbee, and fling it over a rainbow.'

Me : Pulp Fiction? Please, this amount of blood, can best be compared with 'showdown at the house of blue leaves' in Kill Bill 1.
T-002 : Sweet Charles Dickens, that much? It was a man, you know, not a 15-gallon barrel of blood...
Ineluki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 05:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

She really wanted something different (she wanted her own Cyberdemon so she painted the red one) and in person it looks better than you think it would. Still, I will confess it's probably not everyone's thing.

Yeah, the Hell Knights are Doom 3's version of the Barons of Hell from the first two games. I was pretty proud of how simple yet effective they are, their backs look pretty good, too.

I also tried some drybrushing on the Imps' hands so that it'd look like they just tore through somebody. It's up to their elbows and I rather enjoyed the effect.

Quote:
Old 24 Jul 2007, 06:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Komrad

Hmm, what are the scale of those models? The Cyberdemon could be a really badass Daemon Prince.

Click my daemons and help it grow stronger to defeat mankind!

Komrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2007, 14:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrad
Hmm, what are the scale of those models? The Cyberdemon could be a really badass Daemon Prince.
I'm not entirely positive of the exact scale, but they're fairly close to the scale of WH40K. My Tau Firewarriors are right about as big as the Marine if that gives you an indication.

The models are molded vinyl so it should be very easy to convert them into what you need.

Quote:
Old 24 Jul 2007, 16:26   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to faol Send a message via Yahoo to faol

Very neat some of those would make darn cool chaos minions
recruit gladiators
faol is offline   Reply With Quote